CadMouse Scrolling

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

gcary

CadMouse Scrolling

Post by gcary »

Hi,

I really like the fast scrolling feature of the CadMouse. One application I have scrolls very slowly through text with a normal mouse, but with the CadMouse I can whip through files quickly. But if it is scrolling very fast when I move to another window, the other window will continue scrolling at the fast rate. One action that occurs fairly often is if I scroll the to top of the file and then hit Control-F to open the find dialog. Guess what happens? In many applications when you press the control key while scrolling, that is the shortcut for zooming. That gets old fast. Is there any way you can modify the mouse driver so that it stops sending scroll commands when the focus is changed? I'm not sure if you can solve the 2nd problem I described where it zooms rapidly when the control key is pressed, because that would be application dependent. But changing focus is an operation system event, and it seems there is hope for a fix for that situation. When focus changes, send a command to the mouse to immediately reset its scrolling routine.

It would be helpful if the parameters to the algorithm in the mouse could be changed. For example, if the decay in scrolling speed could be quickened after you stop moving the wheel, that would be helpful. Maybe by the time I press the control key on the keyboard when searching for something, the scrolling will have stopped and the app wouldn't change the zoom level. Maybe a hotkey on the keyboard could control what kind of zoom it should be. Holding down that key while scrolling would choose a different set of parameters, such as fast decay. Sometimes it is nice to get it wound up so that you don't have to continually scroll the wheel, so I want the option for both.

Is there already a fix for this or a way to control it better?

Thanks,

Greg
Rob Ainscough

Re: CadMouse Scrolling

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I'm having this very same issue ... for $100 mouse I'm finding the scroll wheel is terrible quality ... randomly triggers auto/free scrolling upwards making it impossible to get any work done. The only reason I got this mouse was for the full sized middle button so it makes it easier to move around in 3DSMax.

Quick Google search and I see this "issue" is extremely common and yet there is NO solution?

Going to see if I can get a refund on this mouse, terrible!

Rob.
paulll

Post by paulll »

I have this same issue with the scrolling continuing when switching windows. The scroll period is far too long relative to one trigger event, and the trigger event is far too sensitive. This renders the free scrolling useless.

3DC should have just used the revolution scroll wheel from regular logitech mice, because that would have made a true replacement to a Performance MX finally...
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Agree, I ended up giving my $100 3Dconnexion to someone else ... who in turn ended up tossing it in trash out of frustration. $100 experiment down the drain and certainly not of "Professional" quality. Disappointed to see ZERO response from 3Dconnexion ... I did contact them via their website support request and got NO response.

This expensive mouse has several problems:

Forward/Backward arrow buttons above the thumb support aren't separated enough and are easy to accidently click
Scroll wheel sensitivity causing all kinds of workflow issues
Main finger buttons don't have sufficient click force resistance and feel weak and flat and sometime trigger unintended clicks

To be brutal, not much "design" was put into this mouse and certainly IS NOT of professional level quality for anyone doing CAD or 3D modeling or even gaming ... I've used a $10 mouse that doesn't exhibit these problems. It's really changed my perspective of what this company is really about, professional prices but cheap design/quality.

Rob.
Mercuriel

Post by Mercuriel »

Same problem, UP !

3d connexion team had months (and many years if i check the entire forum) to just answer this problem...
We are hundreds of users explaining the same issues (scroll bugs, mouse freeze ...).
Don't we, users which have bought this expensive tool, deserve you precious time ?

There is someone alive here ?
luping

Post by luping »

Well, the smart scroll wheel is designed for 2D document viewing like Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat PDF files and Internet browser surfing navigation, the QuickZoom buttons are designed for drawing and 3D model zoom in and out.

You guys need to form new habit using the CadMouse, it's different from other computer mouse. Just don't switch from one application window to another so hastily. I have so such problem on my workstation, good habit does matter.
luping

Post by luping »

luping wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 pm Well, the smart scroll wheel is designed for 2D document viewing like Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat PDF files and Internet browser surfing navigation, the QuickZoom buttons are designed for drawing and 3D model zoom in and out.

You guys need to form new habit using the CadMouse, it's different from other computer mouse. Just don't switch from one application window to another so hastily. I have so such problem on my workstation, good habit does matter.
Typo error, it's "no such problem".
Mercuriel

Post by Mercuriel »

It is not a smart scrolling problem or "learning about cadmouse habits" , when smart scrolling is not activated, the problem is still the same.
In every software, 2D, 3D or web browsing, the problem is the same, scrolling is missing many wheel movements or accelerate / return the direction alone. When i connect another mouse and scroll with it, scrolling is fine without changing anything. When i put as much money in a simple mouse, i expect not having to use a second mouse just for scrolling...

So it is actually a cadmouse firmware / behavior problem,
So again... up to this, waiting for a reaction / solution of the product team.

I wish you all user and team, a great day, respectfully
luping

Post by luping »

Well, I think you can expect flexibility from Germans, let's just hope.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Mercuriel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 am It is not a smart scrolling problem or "learning about cadmouse habits" , when smart scrolling is not activated, the problem is still the same.
In every software, 2D, 3D or web browsing, the problem is the same, scrolling is missing many wheel movements or accelerate / return the direction alone. When i connect another mouse and scroll with it, scrolling is fine without changing anything. When i put as much money in a simple mouse, i expect not having to use a second mouse just for scrolling...

So it is actually a cadmouse firmware / behavior problem,
So again... up to this, waiting for a reaction / solution of the product team.

I wish you all user and team, a great day, respectfully
As mentioned here: Please contact our Technical Support Team. They can do the necessary troubleshooting and and start the replacement process if applicable.
Mercuriel

Post by Mercuriel »

Thanks for help UtaSH

I talked with the support, did some tests then they sent me a new mouse for replacement
With the new one the problem is solved,

If someone have the same problem, make some test with the support, it helps a lot.

Great evening to everyone, respectfully
hoolito

Post by hoolito »

I had this problem, but disabling Smart Scrolling solved it for me.