Inventor 2019 Support?????????????????????????????????????????

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

RonnyM82

Inventor 2019 Support?????????????????????????????????????????

Post by RonnyM82 »

Inventor 2019 was released 7 months ago, and you STILL haven't released support for it in your driver... and yet you released support for Solidworks 2019 two months before it was released. You SpaceMouse is just HORRIBLE to use in Inventor 2019. The auto re-centering no longer works, so the user experience is just crap. And from the outside, you are doing precisely nothing about it, and the perception is you couldn't care less.

Since the end of last year something has changed at 3D Connexion and your customer service and online engagement has degraded hideously.

I've been a massive supporter of your company, and recommend you to anyone I meet in the CAD world. But this year your performance has been terrible.

I've tried contacting you via social media... no response. I've lodged support tickets. No response. And my customers, colleagues and acquaintances have been experiencing the same poor service.

VERY disappointing. And you currently represent a shadow of your former self as a highly engaged and responsive company. I'm gutted to say the least.
UtaSH

Re: Inventor 2019 Support

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Ronny82,

I am sorry that you are disappointed about our Service Level. I have searched through our records and found a ticket from August 21. Our Technical Support Team had sent a reply, but we never received an answer from you.

Inventor 2019 is fully supported from our side. The plugin (which basically handles the button mapping) didn't need an update for version 2019. The navigation in Inventor was implemented and is maintained by Autodesk. Can you elaborate what exactly you see not working?

I see in your support ticket that you have problems with the out-of-the-box shortcuts. Have you tried if this gets resolved once the existing user-specific Inventor config is removed? (I recommend to remove the file "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Inventor.xml".)
RonnyM82

Re: Inventor 2019 Support?????????????????????????????????????????

Post by RonnyM82 »

Auto recenter no longer works. In previous versions of Inventor you pause the orbit and the view re-centers to center of the object in the middle of the screen. This totally ruins the UX and productivity levels.

There is a brand new measure command in Inventor 2019, and so your measure shortcuts out-of-the-box don't work.
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

And I just checked, I didn't receive/can't find your reply to that ticket.
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

and regarding your config file suggestion.... I rebuilt my machine about 6 weeks ago. So its was a completely fresh install of the driver, with default settings across the board.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi RonnyM82,

did you receive my email to you that I sent on Thursday?

I will forward your information about the brand new measure command to our development. They can look into this and see if we change our default configuration. Can you find the brand new measure command in the list of the Inventor commands so that you can map it by your self to one of hte buttons of the 3D mouse?
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I'm not an Inventor user, but I can speak to what I interpret as the responsibilities of 3Dconnexion and the application developer (Autodesk, in this case).

Unless I'm misinterpreting this feature, Auto-recenter is not a 3Dconnexion function; therefore, it is Autodesk's responsibility to implement it on their side. I would contact Autodesk and engage them on their forums for that issue.

Appcommands (such as the Measure shortcut) are also Autodesk's responsibility. I can tell you from experience that Altium Designer has VERY few Appcommands, and that rests solely on the shoulders of Altium, and their priorities.
Michael Hoopes
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

HI Michael,

Thanks for weighing in. I totally disagree with you. Autodesk don't develop the 3Dx driver. And every year the auto recentering stops working until 3Dconnexion release support for the next release of the software. And so far as mapping CAD commands to buttons in the driver.... how is that a 3rd parties responsibility? Those settings are presets on the 3Dx side of things.

What you are saying is, as an example:

I'm an addin developer, I develop an addin for a CAD tool. The next release year, the software provider updates their software but has to break something in their API to do so.

But you are saying that the software provider should be responsible for breaking the 3rd party addin? Not on this planet would that be the case.

FYI... auto recenter is an option checkbox in the 3Dx driver UI for the Solidworks addin.
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:42 am Hi RonnyM82,

did you receive my email to you that I sent on Thursday?

I will forward your information about the brand new measure command to our development. They can look into this and see if we change our default configuration. Can you find the brand new measure command in the list of the Inventor commands so that you can map it by your self to one of hte buttons of the 3D mouse?
Hi there,

I can find it in the list yes. But I would have to create 1 new radial menu for each environment. Because I can't edit the default radial menus that ship with the driver.

And yes, if your initials are BP, then I did. I'll reply to that later, sorry I haven't so far.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

RonnyM82 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:43 pm FYI... auto recenter is an option checkbox in the 3Dx driver UI for the Solidworks addin.
Hi RonnyM82,

as I already explained before: the navigation with the 3D mouse in inventor was implemented by Autodesk, not by 3Dconnexion. Autodesk is using the API to our driver and gets the 3D data to navigate from our driver. But the navigation (including the auto-recenter feature) is handled by Inventor and not the driver. It would be very helpful if you report this to Autodesk. :)
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

And the incorrect radial menu mappings?
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 am
RonnyM82 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:43 pm FYI... auto recenter is an option checkbox in the 3Dx driver UI for the Solidworks addin.
It would be very helpful if you report this to Autodesk. :)
It would also be very helpful if you were proactive about it and discussed it with your contacts at Autodesk as well please. So this gets dealt with from both sides. As a customer I really don't want to be caught in the middle with finger pointing. Your products don't work with each other anymore, between you guys you should sort it out.

I've created a problem report for this from my end all the same.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

RonnyM82 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:38 am And the incorrect radial menu mappings?
We are looking into this.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

RonnyM82 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:42 am ...

It would also be very helpful if you were proactive about it and discussed it with your contacts at Autodesk as well please. So this gets dealt with from both sides. As a customer I really don't want to be caught in the middle with finger pointing. Your products don't work with each other anymore, between you guys you should sort it out.

I've created a problem report for this from my end all the same.
Perfect! We are as well in contact with the team at Autodesk. :-) Your contribution here will be very helpful.
RonnyM82

Post by RonnyM82 »

Awesome. Thanks.