Space Navigator stops working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

AlanH

Space Navigator stops working

Post by AlanH »

I have a 3D Space Navigator running on Windows 7 SP1 Machine that is up to date. I have the latest drivers installed (Based on the device manager it is 1.4.3.15122 dated 6/14/2018). The device works just fine when initially plugged in. Unfortunately, after a few hours (I can be on the computer the entire time but not necessarily using the device) the device simply stops working (LED lights remain lit). The navigator also disappears from the device manager (Human Interface Devices) and from the Devices and Printers window. If I unplug the navigator wait 5 seconds and plug it back in it will start working again for a limited time.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks, Alan
UtaSH

Re: Space Navigator stops working

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Alan,

make sure you have our latest driver installed. Here you can download it. At this point of time the latest version is 3DxWare 10.5.10.

If the device stops working does it still show up in the device manager?

Have you checked the power management of your USB ports?
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Latest driver is installed (very annoying that the windows device manager reports a version 1.4.3.15122 for 3DxWare 10.5.10). Actually uninstalled and reinstalled the driver to confirm that.

As indicated earlier the device is not visible in the device manager once it stops working (it is present when it works, didn't specifically say that).

USB Selective Suspend Setting was set to Enabled. I've tried changed it to Disabled. I not real hopeful but willing to try it. I've never had to change this setting on any of the other machines I use. I do know the Navigator is still getting power when it isn't working since the blue light on it stays lit the entire time (working and not working).

I'll let you know if the power setting corrects the problem.

Thanks, Alan
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

I changed the USB Selective Suspend to disabled (was enabled). I don't think that's the issue tho since the Navigator maintains power the entire time (or at least the blue light is staying on the entire time).

One thing I just noticed. After uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the drivers the Navigator still didn't work (but it showed in the device manager....weird). I tried rebooting and the Navigator still didn't work. I had to unplug the device from the computer and plug it back in to get it to start working. If it stops working again I'll try actually powering the computer off and back on to see if that causes the computer to re-recognize it without the need to unplug / replug it in (which has been my solution since it started acting up).
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Have you tried using a diferent USB port?
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Yes (Attempted multiple USB ports). I did figured out the problem though. I believe the Navigator is going bad. Brought my personal one in from the house and it hasn't stopped working once over the last 3 days.