Error with 3.1.1 beta drivers & SE v19

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mclaser

Post by mclaser »

Last week I downloaded and installed drivers 3.1.1. Now whenever I try to run Solid Edge V19 r2, I get an error "3d connexion add-in is for Solid Edge v9 or higher, now exiting." I was previously running 3.0.7 with no problems for several months. I can apparently successfully install 3.0.9 or 3.0.7 (however I have to install them from the desktop for some reason) but when I run SE I always get the above error. Other apps, Google earth, demos, etc., work fine.

When in SE (after the error) the 3d conn. add-in is no longer on the toolbar. However, if I go to Applications/Add-ins/Add-in Manager, 3D Control is available but unchecked. If I check it and press OK, it apparently tries to start the driver again and gives me the above error message once more.

It looks like 3.1.1. put something in the registry that doesn't get removed by Add/Remove programs.

My previously working device is now completely unusable in my CAD environment. Can anyone help me to completely remove the 3.1.1 driver?

Thx.

Greg
WinXP PRO SP2
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi mclaser

You can remove the 3Dconnexion software with the normal Windows "Add/Remove Programs" tool. However, if there are any doubts, that the software was removed entirely (it is the case now), you should download the "Windows Install Clean Up" utility from the following address:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Execute the installer. After the installation you can use it.

Run the utility and remove any software components with names beginning with 3Dx. Remove also any blank item, if present!

As a final step reinstall 3DxSoftware v3-0-9.
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

BTW, Ticket #01262580GM

ARP uninstall generates no error.

Installing and runnin the utility does not show any occurrences of "3Dx" or any blank lines. Therefore, there was nothing to delete.

Installing, again, 3.0.9, custom, deselecting everything except 3dxware 6.00.0018 & Solid Edge 2.10.03 Plugin, generates no errors.

Running 3dx demos works fine.

Running SE shows error window "This 3dconnexion add-in is for Solid Edge v9 or higher. Now exiting..."

Pressing OK (the only option), SE continues to load showing 3dx mini-window.

Load a part file. 3dx plugin is NOT available on toobar.

Go into Applications/Addins/Addin Manager/ shows 3Dcontrol there but unchecked. Checking 3Dcontrol/OK yields the above error message. Hit OK, then error message is repeated. Hit OK again, 3dx mini-page is shown, then returned to SE with no 3d connexion available. Moving the controller instantly crashes SE.

Bottom Line: No change in symptom from original report.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thx. Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,
In Solid Edge, go to the menu "Applications", "Add-Ins" and select "Add-In Manager...". Then, on the "Add-In Manager" panel, select the "3Dcontrol" and press the "Add-in Properties" button and check the exact version on the "Version" tab.
Let us know what you see in there.
Nuno Gomes
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

File Version: 2.10.3.2418
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,
mclaser wrote:File Version: 2.10.3.2418
This is the correct file. Add-in version 2.10.3 (revision 2418) is included in 3DxSoftware since release 3.0.4.
All the release versions that you tried (3.0.7, 3.0.9 and 3.1.1) install the exact same build of our add-in for SE.
Can you recall which release were you using before you installed 3.1.1?
Is it possible that you had v. 2.8.2 (still available from the download page for serial devices)?
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

I was running 3.0.7 for several months before I attempted upgrading to 3.1.1. It worked fine with no noticeable problems. It looks like I had 2.8.2 before that.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,
Do you get the same error if you use v. 2.8.2? You will to uninstall version 3.0 using the Add or Remove Programs panel.
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

I tried installing 2.8.2 but still have the same problem.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,
Have you changed the license type of Solid Edge? Some licenses restrict the use of add-in. You should have no problem if using a "classic" license.
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

I am using a classic license. I've made no changes for the last 12 months.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,
At this stage, we can only suggest you to re-install the application. Do make sure you uninstall it first and reboot the machine.
There have been no updates to the add-in since version 3.0.7 and you have an isolated case: as of yet, we do not have any similar reports.
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

Not being able to perform a proper installation is my problem. The installation is apparently does not overwrite something left over from 3.1.1., which is causing the SE plugin to no install correctly. Your device is completely unusable in my main application at this time, where it was previously working without problem. A shoulder shrug seems to be falling a little short of an appropriate response.

No one has yet answered why your driver is producing a error claiming that I should be running SE higher than v9 when I'm running v19. It seems like an answer to that question would shed some real light on this problem and probably lead to an solution.

Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mclaser,

Solid Edge is attempting to load the correct add-in version as you stated above (add-in version 2.10.3.2418). This is the correct version for releases version 3.0.7, 3.0.9 and 3.1.1. In other words, 3Dconnexion has kept the SE add-in unchanged from version 3.0.7 through version 3.1.1.
We cannot reproduce the problem you are reporting: add-in version 2.10.3 failing to load in SE V19 with "3Dconnexion add-in is for Solid Edge v9 or higher, now exiting."
Additionally, there are no other reports of such an issue.
If you'd like to verify that the v. 3.1.1 software is properly uninstalled, then you should:
  1. Terminate all running applications;
  2. Go to the ARP panel and remove all 3Dconnexion software;
  3. Launch Solid Edge, go to the "Add-In Manager" panel: verify that the "3Dcontrol" add-in is no longer listed;
  4. Terminate all applications;
  5. Install 3DxSoftware v. 2.8.2;
  6. Launch Solid Edge, go to the "Add-In Manager" panel: verify that the "3Dcontrol" is version 2.9.1.
Cycling the installation of Solid Edge is not a complicated procedure but we do understand it is inconvenient. Unfortunately, it is the only step we can recommend at the moment.
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

I have done the recommended steps and confirmed that the 2.9.1 driver is installed.

I've also updated SE to r3 which yields no change in symptom. I've uninstalled the 3D Connexion software multiple times, removed every instance of the 3D Connexion directories and files on my drive, and every occurrence of mglse (the driver), rebooted, with no change in symptom.

There is still apparently something being left on the system by your installation process, and, we are still left with no explanation for what your error message is complaining about. If you could tell me what the error is actually complaining about I'm sure it would be helpful.

This problem has now been going on for more than 2 weeks with no resolution. Can a software engineer please call me an describe what this error message is trying to indicate?

thx. Greg