Completely disable SpaceNavigator input to a program

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rdibley

Completely disable SpaceNavigator input to a program

Post by rdibley »

Is there a way to configure the SpaceNavigator so that it is completely disabled for a particular application, so that the application doesn’t know it’s even there?

When I am playing the DCS World flight simulator, if I so much as tap the SpaceNavigator, it puts in full-stick joystick commands, causing the airplane to roll out of control until I can override the command again with large joystick inputs.

I have turned off all axes for the SpaceNavigator, but it still acts like an input device to the program.
jwick

Re: Completely disable SpaceNavigator input to a program

Post by jwick »

It depends on the game.

If you have [correctly] disabled the driver's assignments for that executable, the driver should not be sending anything to the game. It will still notice the game running, and it will switch to your completely disabled cfg. You should see your cfg in use by hovering over the 3Dx systray icon.

The driver's log file will give you information about how it is configuring itself when the game is running.

It is pretty common for games to interrogate the devices attached to the system and attach to them on their own. They use native Microsoft APIs to do this, not our driver or our APIs. I don't know of a single game that uses our APIs.

Try the game with 3DxWare uninstalled but the hardware attached.
If this is the case, you need to contact the game developer. Some are better than others at giving you a list of attached devices and configuring them.

I don't know of a way to disable the native Microsoft APIs.

There is one more possibility. Enable the driver for your game defining one of the MS APIs. It depends on the game. You need to find out which MS API the game is using. It will be either DirectInput, Raw Input or HID. You probably have to try all three to figure it out. When you say you disabled the driver above, you probably didn't have the correct protocol in that cfg file. It is probably only disabling our APIs.

It may very well work in the game with the correct cfg (correct Transport protocol). The driver can configure itself to work with the MS APIs, but we don't deliver any cfg showing how to do that. We probably need to help you with that. We deliver cfg templates for DirectInput and Raw Input with 3DxWare. It's a place to start.

Frankly, unless you want to use it in the flight sim, I'd just unplug it.
rdibley

Re: Completely disable SpaceNavigator input to a program

Post by rdibley »

Thanks for your help. The game was reading the inputs directly, as you suggested. I looked at the input settings for the game and saw that the SpaceNavigator was listed and configured by default for several control axes. I deleted all of the inputs that were configured by default. Everything works flawlessly now.

Ryan