SpaceBall 4000 serial to USB adapter

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

arpruss

SpaceBall 4000 serial to USB adapter

Post by arpruss »

In case anybody is interested, I wrote an Instructable on how to build a SpaceBall 4000 (or 5000FLX, but currently not 5000) to USB adapter. On the USB side, this emulates a SpaceMouse Pro (except for the last three buttons, since the SpaceMouse Pro has 15 and the SpaceBall only has 12) and can be used with the latest 3dx drivers. You can also switch it to a joystick mode where it emulates a six-axis USB joystick (might be nice for some games).

The parts cost is $5 (a TTL-to-RS232 adapter plus an STM32F1 development board).

https://www.instructables.com/id/SpaceB ... B-Adapter/

BrockDorf

Re: SpaceBall 4000 serial to USB adapter

Post by BrockDorf »

Hello...I found an adapter at Radio shack. Installed it and everything seems to work great.
I have the 4000. AND 3D connexion still has the drivers available...but they changed the UI and I actually had to read the help to figure out the button programing.
Seemed to work fine once I got it installed. The customer was impressed when I flew up the tubing and into the pump.
arpruss

Re: SpaceBall 4000 serial to USB adapter

Post by arpruss »

I have to confess that I didn't even try the old driver, assuming it was too old to work on a modern 64-bit system. Glad to hear it works. I still prefer my solution, as it gives me more flexibility: for instance, it works with web-based stuff like OnShape or TinkerCAD (with Chrome extension).