Navigator Issues with Inventor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

sdotson

Navigator Issues with Inventor

Post by sdotson »

Back at Au 2006 I had an issue with my space traveller which was finally worked out (or so I thought).

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewto ... =traveller
We since figured out that particular bug however I have been noticing a lot
more lately.

I have been using a new Space Navigator. What I'm seeing...

1. When expanding folders in the browser, if you are resting your hand on
the Navigator (or moving the model) the browser folder takes 1-2 seconds to
open. As soon as you remove your hand from the Navigator it opens. Very
annoying. I spoke to 3DC about it and they said it was an Inventor issue. I'm curious why some people see this and others do not however.

2. This one took a while to figure out. After opening the constraint
dialogue after pick one part, the Navigator refuses to orbit the model until
I move the model using my mouse (via the middle button pan and/or scroll
wheel zoom). Then it "wakes up" and begins working again. It's HIGHLY
annoying.

My older 3000 never had any of these issues (and I'm very close to going
back to it).

Anyone else seeing any weird behaviors with a Traveler or Navigator?
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi Sean:

I just sent you a private email with a file attached -- please run the .reg file provided by our engineering team to set the data rate to something close to the SB3003. The increased sensitivity of the device to your hands is because it samples the hand movement so much faster. But it has a trade off...

On the second issue, if you can run a log file for us, it should tell us what is going on. I also sent some instructions on how to do that.

Thanks and look forward to your response,

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
nmelendez

SpaceNavigtor PE & Inventor 11

Post by nmelendez »

When the driver for the SpaceNavigator PE is running, any dialog or window that is over the Assembly Browser stay behind after being minimized or closed. after draging the Inventor window it clears up or another option is to stop the driver and restart. so far i have 3 designers complaining about this problem. any help you can provide will help a bunch. thanks.[/img]
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi nmelendez

Could you describe step-by-step the scenario in order to reproduce?
agoenczi
Baytekk

Post by Baytekk »

I have these problems too. I'm really frustrated with having to look at blank fields, update delays and overlapping ghost windows because of this " SpaceNavigator thing".

I'm real close to disputing my CC transaction and dumping this overpriced dysfunctional widget. I'm not going to spend the time & money to package it, ship it, etc, all on my ticket? I dont think so.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Baytekk

Please install our last release (3DxSoftware v3-2-2) and post your findings here.
agoenczi
Baytekk

Post by Baytekk »

Yours is the latest update I have and was installed prior to my previous post. Issues persist as stated. Apparently this is a common issue.
Baytekk

Post by Baytekk »

Is this potato too hot?
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Baytekk

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this issue yet.

But I am still working on it.

Could you specify some details about your system: operating system (32 or 64 bit, including Service Pack), installed memory, graphic card, other connected USB devices to your computer?
agoenczi
Charly Setter

Post by Charly Setter »

Hi agoenczi

I think this problem has nothing to do with hardware / USB-Devices / OS etc.

It´s just an calibration-issue. It´s also not only a problem with SN but also for ST and SP ( had no chance to test SE ´til now ;-) )I experienced this problem the first time more than 1 year ago using a Space Pilot.

I contacted your german support (Guenther Weiss) and was already packing the device to sent it in as defect, when i noticed the framerate displayed by Inventor (there´s an registry-tweak to show some graphics performancedata of Inventor and it was switched on for some performance tests).

The graphics wasn´t moving, but IV showed an framerate of app. 60HZ (the max. possible) and all actions were very sticky. CPU-load was 50% (on an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, FGL V7350) in assumed idle-condition.

After some tests I found out that this behaviour was depending on the angle of my adjustable desktop :?

I openend the control panel of the driver ( 2.8.2) and increased the "threshold value" (in german it´s called "Schwellwert") and the problem occured never again, until I had to use the new 3.X drivers for some tests on the SN. Some very smart guys removed this control and now I experience the old problem again. The only resolution is to open the CP and press the "calibrate-button" again and again.

I strongly recomment to (re)implement the "threshold control" to the drivers again and I think a lot of problems will be resolved.

I discussed this with Guenther and he agreed, but nothing happened. I thing You two should have a little bit smalltalk with your development department :wink:

cu

Mathias
agoenczi
User
User

Threshold value

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Charly Setter

This is a known issue and some other users have already posted their wish to have it again in the GUI.

For a quick solution please read the following post.

We have already recorded an enhancement request to reintegrate this functionality in the GUI.
agoenczi
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Charly Setter,
Instead of increasing the "null" threshold (and losing resolution at the lower end of cap movements), you can simply press on the "Calibrate" time after changing the angle of your desk top but do make sure nothing is touching the device cap when you do.
Doing that will stop the device from sending data continuously and, at the same time, you still have the full dynamic range available.
Nuno Gomes
Charly Setter

Post by Charly Setter »

Hi ngomes

That´s right and I´m aware of this fact. But if your´s working for long times your fingers are often resting slightly on the controller ( or your fingers are becoming "heavy" :wink: ).

If you increase the threashold by 1-2% you will recognise no reduction in sensitivity but there´s no need for recalibration. On the old SM+ you had a hardware button for recalibration, but here you always have to opne the CP and switch to the approprite panel. Just boring and not what you expect from a "hightech"-3D-Controller and marketleader.

I know a lot of people who are using their 3D-Controller really mobile (in train or car). Imagine, what happens at every bump, when the threshold is adjusted too low. :?

@agoenzi: interesting post. I´ll link it to the german usergroup @ cad.de

thank you
German Inventor Newsgroup powered by CAD.de
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can assign "Rezero device" to a button on the device. It does the same thing as the Calibrate control panel button.