Customize input axes relative to physical SpaceMouse rotation

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

vern

Customize input axes relative to physical SpaceMouse rotation

Post by vern »

SpaceNavigator customization-sm.jpg[/attachment]Hi, I'm new here with a SpaceNavigator and did a brief search in the 3dxWare customization menu for calibration specs. I also searched here as well as here for custom rotation but didn't notice any topics regarding a physical rotation of the mouse relative to the desk it is resting on. I created the attached picture to save 1000 words, but in summary I would like to physically rotate the mouse so the buttons (blue arrows) align more naturally to my thumb and middle finger but customize or calibrate the input to still recognize horizontal or planar inputs in both pictures to be recognized the same (input along the red axis in both pictures is the same in the software). Is this currently possible? If not, it doesn't seem like it would be hard to create a calibration menu that sets up a custom map to translate the off-default-axis input. Am I missing or thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions?
SpaceNavigator customization-sm.jpg
SpaceNavigator customization-sm.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
jwick

Re: Customize input axes relative to physical SpaceMouse rotation

Post by jwick »

It's an interesting idea. I hear it every few years.
All you can do now is turn the axes 90 degrees. That is, swap one for another.
It wouldn't be too difficult to do an arbitrary rotation for legacy applications. A general solution gets other more delicate software involved that I'd rather not mess with.
A GUI for it would be a challenge.
It would probably be a hidden feature that you would have to edit XML files for.