SpacePilot with W10

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

fostertom

SpacePilot with W10

Post by fostertom »

Any ideas how to use my first-type SpacePilot (not Pro) with W10? For Autocad. It's in vgc but not officially supported by current drivers, only by drivers up to W7 or W8.
arpruss

Re: SpacePilot with W10

Post by arpruss »

Assuming it's based on USB HID, one could modify my method discussed here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&t=37572
One would just have to modify 3d.py to get its data from USB HID rather than serial. It would probably be an hour or so of coding.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

fostertom wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am Any ideas how to use my first-type SpacePilot (not Pro) with W10? For Autocad. It's in vgc but not officially supported by current drivers, only by drivers up to W7 or W8.
Hi fostertom,

which version of AutoCAD are you using?

You can install 3DxWare 10.4.10 which is available in our driver archive.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

Thnks - I saw same in https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&t=35491, downloaded, but it required me to uninstall the present drver, which it has refused to do - dialog pic attached. Any idea why?
3dx dialog.JPG
3dx dialog.JPG (64.32 KiB) Viewed 12682 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi fostertom,

I recommend you contact our Technical Support Team. They can do the necessary troubleshooting.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

After great assistance from Tech Support, first to get driver 3.16.3 to uninstall, I can say that my old Spacepilot immediately works perfectly, no messing required, with 10.4.10 in W10.

This is after the website says 'not supported in W10', but try an old driver (not specified). I tried 3.16.3, whicch used to work fine for me in W7, but was useless in W10. Pity the website isn't more helpful.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi fostertom,

our website for the driver download has a column "OS" where we list the supported operating systems. This information is available for the actual drivers and for the legacy drivers.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

No, the point is, on the Legacy drivers page, if I input Spacepilot (original type) and W10-64, it says "Sorry there is no driver available for your selection!" whereas you've shown, in this forum, that 10.4.10 does work (smoother and sweeter than my SpacePilot has ever been), contrary to (the absence of guidance) on the website.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Yes, but this version wasn't tested with the SpacePilot and does not support officially this legacy device. That's why we do not offer it. The last driver that was tested with the SpacePilot is 3DxSoftware v3.16.3 and this was developed before Windows 10.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

I understand - exactly - legalistic caution prevails on the official website, which therefore gives us no clue to this lifesaving possibility - unless we think to ask on the official forum. There, UtaSH, who seems to be a 3dConnexion representative, kindly and helpfully provides excellent information. Why the obstacle course to the info? The website could say 'not tested or approved - at your risk'.