SpaceExplorer in UG NX 7.5

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Henk

Post by Henk »

Hello,

I just switched from Unigraphics NX4 to NX7.5. Now, my Space Explorer does not respond the way I want it to.

Snap view (configured in NX4 to the R-button) and middle mouse button (configured to shift button) work, but fit view, layer settings, move to layer, sketch and extrude don't (configured to F, T, L, 1 and 2 respectively). The Panel and Fit buttons also do not respond.

I regularly loose 3 DoF (pan and zoom), only the three rotations work.

There is no 3Dx menu, and no 3Dx toolbar.

When I searched the site, I found versions 3-7 of NX are supported, so I am curious to know how long it will take until NX7.5 is supported, or if there is a way to resolve my problems with the current driver.

Thanks in advance.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Excuse me for my double post, but I couldn't find the edit button.

Anyway, I just found out that pressing button "1" disables translations (pan + zoom), leaving only rotations, and button "2" disables rotations, leaving only translations.

So button "2" does the same as the "2D" button.

Doubleclicking on the 3DxWare icon in the (Win XP SP3) taskbar shows the button configuration as posted above.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Does nobody know when NX7.5 will be supported, or if there is a way to make my SpaceExplorer work with the current driver?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

NX 7 is supported - that includes the 7.5 version.

The steps in this Knowledgebase article explain what needs to done:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/tech ... ion]=ugsnx

When there is more than one version of NX installed you will need to adjust the environment variables as shown in the Knowledgebase article for each NX installation so that it correctly points to the path for 3dxnx.dll.

Once the environment variables are corrected, the 3DxNX ButtonMapping Editor will be available. Button mapping for NX should be done here rather than in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel since internal editors are designed to have priority over the 3Dconnexion panel.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Thank you!
Changing the environment variable and re-installing the driver (again) did the job.

It is necessary to re-install the driver every time you install a new program you want to use the SpaceExplorer with (there was no 3DxNX.dll in ${UGII_BASE_DIR}\UGALLIANCE\vendor\startup before re-installing the driver) ?

I still have one question though: I've set the "+" and "-" buttons to volume up and down when I'm not working in NX, for a lack of these on my keyboard. I would like this to be the same in NX (instead of the default increase / decrease sensitivity), but the 3DxNX button mapping editor does not show these buttons (nor available commands).
Changing these two buttons in the 3Dconnexion control panel (with NX running) does the job for that session, but once I restart NX the buttons are reset to sensitivity, which is rather annoying.

Is there a way to permanently set the "+" and "-" buttons to increase / decrease volume (in NX)?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Henk,

I am glad Barbara could fix your problem.

After you installed a new program you need to run at least the Update Wizard. Because there might be files (as the 3DxNX.dll) that have to be copied to the corresponding application folders or other things to do to have a proper application support.

Where do you change the mapping of the sensitivity buttons (+, -)? In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel or in the Button Mapping Editor from within NX?
Henk

Post by Henk »

I know that the in-program 3DxNX Button Mapping Editor (BME) has priority over the 3DConnexion Control Panel (CP), as Barbara also mentioned. So I guess that if I could change the mapping of the sensitivity buttons there (i.e. in the BME), the buttons would not be reset.

Unfortunately, the BME does not show the "+", "-", "panel" and "2D" buttons, so until now I have changed the "+" and "-" buttons in the CP (via doubleclicking the 3DxWare icon in the taskbar when NX is running).

I have found the "volume up" and "volume down" commands in the 3DxWare command category in the BME, so if only I could see the buttons in the button mapping list...
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Henk,

this is per design. The buttons +, -, 2D and Panel are not available for re-mapping. These are kind of standard buttons and are supposed to keep their mapping. I don't know why the 3Dcontrol Panel does not keep the mapping. I'll check.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Henk,

this is an inconsistency due to legacy reasons. We track this issue with an internal bugnumber: #5480.