Configuring buttons for 3ds Max 2019 hiccups

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Intuos

Configuring buttons for 3ds Max 2019 hiccups

Post by Intuos »

Today Instarted the tedious task of reconfiguring all buttons for my Spacemouse Pro wireless for the second time this week. Customer service advised me to do so due to the button configuration not being applied (default ones will be used instead of my own, despite my configuration showing up in the driver). Reverting back to 10.5.8 (instead of the retracted 10.5.9) seems to work sofar, however typing the name of the function within a radial menu takes 10-20 seconds of searching. It looks to me like the driver starts searching for the first few letters, stutters, then finishes whatever I typed in the first place only to take a long time to find the result. 10.5.9 was faster and didn’t freeze as often though.
I am using 3ds Max 2019.1 in conjuction with Railclone lite and Firest pack lite (both from ITOO), might these plugins cause the lag I am experiencing?
Intuos

Re: Configuring buttons for 3ds Max 2019 hiccups

Post by Intuos »

To follow up, having removed these two plugins saved some time and increased stability somewhat. The amount of search results has decreased, so that has helped. It is still quite slow though.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Intuos,
Reverting back to 10.5.8 (instead of the retracted 10.5.9) seems to work sofar
Firstly, we're sorry for having had to pull v. 10.5.9 and the inconvenience caused to our customers. We introduced a bug that was affecting the button mapping of several applications (issue WIN-126).

We issued a hotfix today with a fix, version 10.5.10, available from the usual location.
Nuno Gomes
Intuos

Post by Intuos »

Thanks for the heads-up about the new driver and solving multiple bugs, much appreciated. I've been using it for a week and it works like a charm, it's by far the most stable driver for 3ds Max sofar. Concerning the hiccups, they do still persist, however, they do no longer freeze or crash the driver. I do believe it has to do with the amout of hits after a type-in search, manually selecting an item is fluid. For me typing "se"/ "po"/ "ar" causes such a hiccup, whereas "q" does not ("qp" is instant with only one hit). I added two screenshots below to show the difference in search hits and my settings (all 8 section radial menus).
Anyways keep up the good work!
Attachments
hiccup.png
hiccup.png (128.61 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Fast.png
Fast.png (129.24 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Intuos,
Concerning the hiccups, they do still persist, however, they do no longer freeze or crash the driver. I do believe it has to do with the amout of hits after a type-in search, manually selecting an item is fluid.
The command search needs to be looked at. We haven't yet tried to optimise it since we're planning to do an overhaul on the driver back-end and until that work is done, there's little gain to be had.

In the mean time, we have created the enhancement request WIN-132 to see if we can improve the search usability.