Ctrl+scroll whell does not zoom in chrome or edge

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bax

Ctrl+scroll whell does not zoom in chrome or edge

Post by Bax »

Hi,

When in an internet browser (chrome, edge, etc.) when pressing Ctrl + moving the wheel will zoom in and out. I programmed both forward and backward buttons as Ctrl key so I can perform this function just using this CAD mouse. However it does not work and it ignores the Ctrl key-press function. I could achieve this function with Mx518 Logitech mouse.

Any Suggestions?

Bax
jwick

Re: Ctrl+scroll whell does not zoom in chrome or edge

Post by jwick »

Works for me.

Make sure you use the Keyboard->Ctrl Key assignment in the Buttons page in the GUI. If you try to record a Ctrl Key, it will press it then release it quickly.

If you still experience issues, the log file will say what the driver is doing. In particular, if you switch applications while a modifier key is down (shift, ctrl, alt) the driver will release the down modifier keys. But inside a single program like Chrome, Edge it shouldn't happen.
Bax

Post by Bax »

Well, I made sure that the assigned Ctrl is a keyboard key as it was when I originally programmed it. As for the log file – which log file are we talking about? And where would I find it?
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you right click on the 3Dx systray icon, there is a "Write Log File" option that you can Check.

The log file will be written as %localappdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log.

It is very useful to use a tool like baretail.exe (google it) to stream what is being written to the file.

You should see entries something like this (I pressed the Ctrl button on a SME):
00000020 9:42:22.285: KMJTrans:UdTransSendEvent: KMJEvent.type=2, origActionID=HIDButton_26, origValue=1
00000020 9:42:22.290: KMJTrans: keypress usageid = 0xe0, modifiers=0x0
00000080 9:42:22.296: SendKeyPress: pressing usageID 0xe0 ()
00000020 9:42:22.517: KMJTrans:UdTransSendEvent: KMJEvent.type=2, origActionID=HIDButton_26, origValue=0
00000020 9:42:22.522: KMJTrans: keyrelease usageid = 0xe0, modifiers=0x0
00000080 9:42:22.527: SendKeyRelease: releasing usageID 0xe0 ()

Let me know what you see.
Bax

Post by Bax »

jwick,

I made it to appdata however in my install I see under the 3DxWare directory only 4 sub-directories named:3DxHome, 3DxNLServer, Cfg, navlib. Those directories have only .xml files and navlib has .config files. I could not find any .log file anywhere.

Bax
Bax

Post by Bax »

3DConnexion.JPG
3DConnexion.JPG (51.99 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
As you can see there is no log file anywhere and those sub-directories contain only .xml files or .config files

(or I'm totally out of left field)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Go to %localappdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare. This would be in your case C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion\3DxWare. :)
Bax

Post by Bax »

Ok, so I made it to the log file named 2DXService.log (thanks for your patience). I also searched 'baretrail.exe' and watched a youtube about that to learn that it is way above me. When I opened the log file and searched on the following (from the file lines above)

KMJTrans
SendKeyPress
SendKeyRelease
UdTransSend

I could not find any of the of the above expressions in the log file.

By now it should be obvious to you that I'm not the most proficient Windows 10 user. So I'll suggest to forward the entire log file to you for your analysis, however it is not something I want to attach in a public form. I can attach it to an e-mail

Thanks

Bax
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Bax,

You probably don't have your log file turned on.
Let's take this off-line. I'll send you a PM.

Jim