3dsmax 2019 crashing all the time (after a few minutes of use)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

boumay

3dsmax 2019 crashing all the time (after a few minutes of use)

Post by boumay »

Hello,

I made serious testing to be sure but, I have the sad news to inform you that the latest drivers make 3dsmax 2019 crash every time, after a few moments of use.

To confirm that, I tested in 3dsmax 2017, and it is stable.

A fix would be really necessary, because we can't use the latest version of max.

Thank you for your support.
boumay

Re: 3dsmax 2019 crashing all the time (after a few minutes of use)

Post by boumay »

update:

3dsmax 2017 crashes as well.

I'll test with the previous drivers.
boumay

Post by boumay »

Sadly, nobody posted from the support team (?).

If this is not coming from my pc, I have to check this again because there is a possibilty, then this is a pretty serious issue, which renders the device completely useless, I hoped someone could give some information.

And I'm testing with drivers 10.4.10 (r2558), and it's working like a breeze without crashing whatsoever. Sadly these drivers are only up to max 2017, and 2019 is needed.
boumay

Post by boumay »

I've been informed by a user that the 10.5.5 (at least) version is working fine for him on several systems, with 2 different 3dconnexion devices, so I gues the conclusion is that my system, being old, maybe experiencing incompatibility issues.

Thank you everybody for your support.
boumay

Post by boumay »

In fact, the new 3dconnexion driver seems to behave differently, since some versions of the driver

It seems that it "caches" the viewport movement, so it can be smooth, then releases it when you stop moving the 3Dmouse. I can feel a slight lag when releasing the device.

The crash occurs at this precise moment.

Another time when it crashes, is when I maximize/minimize viewport.

Any beginning of clue would be really appreciated.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi boumay,

we have tested 3dsmax 2019 now even more. We have tried what you describe. We do not see a lag and we do not get a crash of 3dsmax. Can you perhaps verify your 3dsmax installation? Do you get any log files from 3dsmax?
boumay

Post by boumay »

Sorry, I didn't see the notification for your reply.
Thank you for this. It somehow fixed itself, maybe with another version of the driver.

However, I'm now in 3dsmax 2020 and the latest driver is driving me nuts. The pan and up-down axis, in camera/perspective viewport(s), is so slow, compared to other axis, it is almost frozen, and almost doesn't react, even after cranking up the speed. Works normally in orthographic.

I really hope you could help me on this one, it makes the device such a pain to use, after it was the most useful one.

Thank you for your support.