Keystroke and Action mappings

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

CAL

Keystroke and Action mappings

Post by CAL »

I bought a SpaceNavigator recently to use in AutoCAD, but on a whim I decided to try it in Fortnite. I used the WASD sample template and it works moderately well, but I wanted to modify it some. The problem is in the XML file the mappings don't make any sense. What I mean is that the action HIDMultiAxis_Y with a minimum of 0 and maximum of 511 (which I assume equates to pushing forward) seems to equate to the keyboard action of pressing and holding 16. I can't figure out how 16 equals the w key. Similarly holding the SpaceNavigator to the left would seem to equate to pressing and holding 14. 14 would appear to be the q key.

Nowhere can I find definitive explanations of what I am assuming. In other words HIDMultiAxis_Y with a maximum in the positive range I am just assuming means pushing forward, but that's just a guess on my part. 16 equaling w is also an assumption on my part based on how the game behaves.

Is there anywhere that explains what the action names (i.e. HIDMultiAxis_Y) correspond to on movements of the SpaceNavigator? And is there anywhere I can find where the number in the keystroke portion of the XML file matches up with keys on the keyboard.

Sorry if I'm missing something totally obvious, but I've searched and searched and can't find a straightforward answer to this.
Thanks.
jwick

Re: Keystroke and Action mappings

Post by jwick »

The Input HIDMultiAxis_X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry, Rz Axes are the 6 native axes of the device:

X is the same as your 2D mouse X (left/right along the table)
Y also the same as your 2D mouse Y (away/toward you along the table)
Z is up/down
Rx is twisting around the X axis (like a motorcycle throttle)
Ry is rolling about the Y axis (like an airplane barrel roll).
Rz is twisting about the Z axis (like opening a jar of peanut butter)

There are icons shown in the GUI, but the GUI doesn't tell you the names of them.

For output, those are HID usage codes. There are tables on line, but the easiest way to see what they are is to make a key macro on a button. That will write the correct XML.

WASD are as you assumed. You may also need arrow keys and/or modifiers (shift, ctrl, etc).

There is more information about the device in the Base.xml file, but it's not meant to be useful user documentation.
CAL

Re: Keystroke and Action mappings

Post by CAL »

Thanks, that is extremely helpful. And the HID usage codes are fascinating. I never realized that so much was codified. I always assumed it was on a developer by developer basis.
Thanks for the info.