Spaceball 5000 and Solidworks 2008 - 3dxWare not found

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

splint

Post by splint »

Hi,

I'm running Solidworks 2008 on a Macbook Pro through VMware with Win XP Pro Service Pack 3 32 Bit. I Plugged in a Spaceball 5000 USB and installed 3Dxsoftware 3-7-22 the installation went smoothly but when I started Solidworks a message came up saying 3dxware not found, please start the driver now.

I searched for 3dxware and found a log file which said The 3DxWare driver log file is now written under the user's APPDATA directory. Open %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWare.log in Windows Explorer. I did a search for Appdata and found nothing.

I saw in the read me file that 3dxware is only aplicable to Windows XP SP1&2 (32-bit and 64-bit), I am using Win XP SP3. Is there another version of 3dxsoftware which runs in sp3? Will I get my Spaceball working on my computer?

Thanks
David
UtaSH

Re: Spaceball 5000 and Solidworks 2008 - 3dxWare not found

Post by UtaSH »

Hi splint,

actually 3DxSoftware is supported on WinXP SP2 or higher. So your version of the operating system is supported.
But! ... the use of the 3D mouse in a virtual machine is not supported. You might have problems to pass the USB device from the host machine to the virtual machine.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Splint -

As uludwig says , the challenge here is in getting the driver to work in virtual machine .

Unsupported and untested , but it is possible for it to work. Two things are needed as a start – the HID drivers and unloading the driver in your host OS.

You need to have a regular 2D USB mouse connected so that you will have the Microsoft HID-drivers for Windows. You also need to make sure the driver in your host OS [Mac] is stopped before you start VMware since this can prevent the host from passing the device through to the virtual machine.

Launching VMware with the HID driver available and the 3Dconnexion driver available to be started should give you the best chance of getting it working . The Windows software installs demos you can use to check that the Spaceball is working in XP after you start the driver and before you try it in SolidWorks. [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare, Demos]

Please tell us if you’re successful .

Regards,
Barbara