drivers for 3dsmax

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ltchest

drivers for 3dsmax

Post by ltchest »

updated the drivers today (to latest available version as of today), hoping that perhaps past problems had been solved. One problem was that, every time we upgrade to newer version of Max (in this case going from 2018 to 2019) (latest version of windows 10), its impossible to migrate over the 3dconnexion settings for space pilot or cad mouse. Exporting the settings proves to be useless, as when you re-import them they are not the same. you end up with the wrong shortcuts. The other problem is that the driver crashes when you try to edit the button configurations. its so bad at the moment - but its always been like this, for years. why cant it be more stable ?
UtaSH

Re: drivers for 3dsmax

Post by UtaSH »

Hello ltchest,

I apologize that you encounter problems with your 3D mouse. I haven't yet had the chance to test 3dsmax 2019; I will check with my colleagues.

Are you updating the driver as well if you install a new 3desmax version? This is important to make sure the plugin is installed for the newer version of the application.

What message do you get when the driver crashes? Have you tried if removing (make a backup) all existing settings solves that? See here how to do that.
ltchest

Post by ltchest »

hello - yes i have updated the drivers. I also tried completely uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them. I will try that again and delete my old preferences.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

This settings migration bug is super annoying! It's not the first time I regret trying to import my setting from the old driver with no luck whatsoever! The most shocking was the discovery of what it's really inside that exported settings from the old drivers. I opened that 3dxz file and the xmls inside contained nothing near to my sensitivity and button settings, but almost identical for each application absurdly system crap. Is it so hard to just copy the files from the CFG folder? Well the worst thing here is that manual copying of the old settings to the newer CFG folder doesn't help either. This is such a mess! :evil:
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Why should I even bother migrating my previous settings to the updated driver to begin with? This is a very serious problem, please take measures!
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Ok, I have finally managed to apply my exported settings to the last driver. But I had to do a full clean uninstall of the previous one, loosing couple of hours of working time doing that and trying to figure out what the heck was the problem, which is obviously a bad situation to experience. Smooth user preferences management is maybe the only thing which is currently sets this software and technology a bit aside from A+ class segment. If you fix that you will immediately feel the feedback, trust me. :D
ltchest

Post by ltchest »

after doing the full clean uninstall - did you successfully import your old settings ? or did you have to recreate all the settings ?
I have had no luck so far - but been too busy to really try.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

ltchest wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am after doing the full clean uninstall - did you successfully import your old settings ? or did you have to recreate all the settings ?
I have had no luck so far - but been too busy to really try.
I have successfully imported the settings exported from the 10.5.6 version of the drivers. Although that took me complete uninstalling and manual directories cleaning, apparently after the first fail of direct import which went wrong I can't even imagine why.
ltchest

Post by ltchest »

ok finally had a go at this. I stopped the driver, renamed both the folders & edited registry as per instructions. restarted the driver, restarted 3dsMax. So now i have of course lost all my settings and the added bonus is that the driver still does not work. As soon as i try to edit button #1 the driver crashes and cant be recovered.
ltchest

Post by ltchest »

also uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled. as soon as i open up 3dsmax (2019) and go to the buttons configuration of the 3dconnexion driver it crashes. even before i try to edit anything - it just crashes every time !! doesnt do this for other programs - only crashes when i try to use 3dsmax
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

The only possible reason for the driver to shit around while updating is an open version of 3ds max in the background. Although I haven’t checked that, but it should be the case I think. If you haven’t made a full conf export from the last working version you have no other way than recreating it I suppose. The crashing should have something wrong with the installation of the drivers, try to make the fullest and cleanest uninstall, this should help. And make backups of everything in the future. Best luck 8)
ltchest

Post by ltchest »

at this point i have given up on any prospect of keeping / importing my settings. i just want to get it to work with max 2019. so again, i close 3dsmax, stopped the driver, uninstalled the driver, deleted the two registry entries, deleted all folders (both local & roaming) and unplugged the devices. then restarted the pc. then reinstalled the latest driver. then plugged the devices back in. same problem. as soon as i press the "buttons" button to start configuring, it just crashes.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

I remember running the driver installation file and selecting Uninstall with remove all settings.
Make sure you are running 3ds max with admin rights.
Disable all potential conflicting apps in the background like antiviruses, keyboard managers etc.
Try to rollover to the last working version of the driver you had before upgrade.
Clean windows installation is always the greatest and the latest option :lol: