Space Mouse Pro Freezes Maya 2016 SP6

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DasPoot

Space Mouse Pro Freezes Maya 2016 SP6

Post by DasPoot »

Hello there, I have a peculiar though no less frustrating issue that I have never before experienced with Maya 2016 SP6. If I attempt to manipulate the Space Mouse Pro's Puck when Maya is running a calculation that locks down the rest of the software such as saving the scene, beveling a large number of edges, or even a loop-cut that takes a second, the viewport will be nudged ever so slightly in the direction I gestured then freeze. I can attempt to manipulate the viewport all I want (fruitlessly of course) with either my mouse or Wacom Stylus and have the software resume as normal after it is done whatever it is doing but God help me if I touch the Space Mouse Puck during one of these calculations because Maya will then freeze after the completion of said calculation.

This is most common when autosaving/saving my scene, UV unwrapping/Optimising, or doing a large number of cuts on a dense mesh. Moving the view then doing the cut then one cut inexplicably (like the vast majority of how Maya do) takes a second to complete but if I hit the puck during that one second down time then BOOM! Maya is frozen. Trying different versions of the driver have had no effect.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.
UtaSH

Re: Space Mouse Pro Freezes Maya 2016 SP6

Post by UtaSH »

Hi DasPoot,

I haven't yet seen a report about Maya freezing so far. Do you have experience with previous versions of Maya? Maybe you still have one installed and can check if you see the same with the previous version of Maya and the latest driver?

BTW - which driver version are you using? We released a new version last week - 3DxWare 10.5.7.

Can you identify in the task manager if a process is taking all CPU and which one?
DasPoot

Post by DasPoot »

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. It completely slipped my mind since I stopped using the mouse, anyways:

I only own one version of Maya (2016) though I might, might have access to older versions but I not absolutely positive on that. I have only ever used the mouse with Maya 2016 and have had no scuch problem until I installed it on this particular computer.

HP Z620
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
CPU: Dual 2680-V2s
RAM: 64GB DDR3 1866MHZ
GPU: 2x GTX 1070 - Latest stable drivers
Latest 3DConnexion Drivers.

It works fine on my laptop and old workstation. Furthermore, when Maya hangs it only takes up 2-3% of my computer's CPU resources and stays that way. It never unfreezes and no other task, being open or closed, affects this.
DasPoot

Post by DasPoot »

I just managed to make it a little bit better. After deleting my prefs folder, allowing Maya to make a new one, then restoring my old prefs folder it does not seem to freeze nearly as often during normal viewport and modeling hitches. At the same time however, it still freezes if I touch the puck whenever it is doing anything that invokes the percentage bar in the bottom left-hand corner.

Completely deleting the prefs, letting Maya make a new one, and leaving it be does not solve the issue however as that does not seem to be the root cause of it.
DasPoot

Post by DasPoot »

Well, I got my Spacemouse working again and I am not entirely sure how. I spent the last couple of days installing and uninstalling Maya and my spacemouse drivers and it was not until I uninstalled and reinstalled Maya (without deleting my plugins or prefs folders) and installed a driver I had tried before, 3DxWare64_v10-4-3_r2328, and now no more freezing. Huh...

It works but it is noticeably much more janky than the newest drivers when it comes to viewport selection and interactivity but far more stable.