Topogun?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Artesiastp

Topogun?

Post by Artesiastp »

it would be very cool to have support for it ;)

http://topogun.com/
Bryan

TOPOGUN Development

Post by Bryan »

Dear Artesiastp,

If you can imagine ways that use of our devices would aide the user interface of TOPOGUN, we would recommend that you contact their marketing and/or development team and share with them the value added you would experience as a user. We provide a free SDK, Software Development Kit, for the developers to make it as easy as possible for them to make use of our devices.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

The problem is that, since most peope don't use a 3D mouse (though I wish everyone did because they're awesome), a company will not find it profitable to put money and resources towards developing their own plug-in for a product they don't make or support.

A 3D mouse is not the deciding factor when choosing 3D software. A company will choose the software they require first, then the 3D mouse will come in second, if at all.

So, a 3D mouse will be purchased if it is already compatible with the software - not the other way around. I personally think the burden lies on 3DConnexion to make these excellent products as versatile as possible. Other companies don't care because they are busy developing their own products.
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5
Bryan

TOPOGUN Development

Post by Bryan »

Dear Valen Wagner,

We don't have access to a developers source code. That's why it's necessary for them to make the decision of whether to include use of our device as part of their user interface or not. They don't have to write a driver, that's already done. Most applications that make use of our devices have no plug-in, they simple make use of our driver. They merely need to take advantage of the input from our devices.

Sincerely,
Bryan
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

Ok, now I'm confused. :) I apologize for bringing this discussion up again. I know its been debated a lot on this forum.

But don't you make the plug-in for Maya, 3ds Max, and other Autodesk software? Or does Autodesk make it? I see all over the place that everyone wants this device to work in Mudbox - is that up to you or Autodesk? If it's up to Autodesk, then how is it that 3DConnexion is the one making the other plug-ins for Autodesk?
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5
Fred

Post by Fred »

As explained before.
Autodesk worked with 3DConnexion to make an addin for certain applications it owns. Other applications are natively supported by the application. Autodesk 2011 is now natively supported.
They continue to work with us to work out any issues.
The same goes for the other applications we provide a add-in.

Mudbox and Revit will require Autodesk to add support.
There current codex doesnt allow us to make an add-in.

The more people that contact Autodesk regarding adding support the more likely they'l listen.
Loki

Post by Loki »

That makes sense. If an application doesn't use plugins, creating one would be pointless obviously. :roll:

I feel the responsibility falls on both 3dConnexion and the software developers equally, not one or the other. If a number of customers have purchased an application and found it doesn't support 3d mice, it's perfectly reasonable to request support and expect that request to eventually be fulfilled at some point. Same goes for 3dConnexion customers. All parties need to work together if they care at all about satisfying the needs of all of the people who have purchased their products, which often aren't inexpensive by the way.

To that end, 3dConnexion should be approaching software vendors to offer them a free Navigator. This would allow them to try it out for themselves and also help with getting the implementation correct from the beginning. The first release of Modo 601 is a good example of how things can go wrong when you don't have the physical product to test your code against, which leads to more precious time needing to be spent on what is likely becoming a nuisance by that point lol. :)

By making it as easy as possible for developers to support your product, you fulfill your commitment to serve your customers. An SDK is just the first step towards that goal. Consider the free Navigators as a good investment. Why? The more programs that support your products, the greater the likelihood is that more consumers will buy your products and recommend them to others. When giving one away results in two or more being sold, how can that not be seen as a good thing? I'm sure the price tag for their construction is nowhere near as expensive as the price tag you present to buyers, so it's probably not too much of a risk for you guys Once software devs use one and see what the fuss is about for themselves, they'll be hooked. I guarantee it. :cool:

PS: I know this thread is an old topic from 2010. I'm currently testing Topogun and found your discussion while doing a Google search. Obviously I felt compelled to comment on it despite it's age lol. Having purchased a SpaceMouse Pro for $308.00 and finding support lacking hasn't been pleasant to say the least. My aim is to present what I hope is a reasonable idea that could ultimately help everyone win in the end. And winning is good, right? :D
Bryan

TOPOGUN Development

Post by Bryan »

Loki,

If you can get their developers to add support for our product in the next release, I think I can see about getting them access to a SpaceNavigator if that is all that is holding them back.

Sincerely,
Bryan
jwick

Post by jwick »

Luxology has fixed the 3D Mouse support in Modo 601.