SpacePilot LCD screen stops updating

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jweaver

SpacePilot LCD screen stops updating

Post by jweaver »

I know its not offically supported, but am currently running a SpacePilot with the 10.4 drivers and its working quite nicely in Windows 7./

But the LCD screen often locks up and stops updating and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it?

I have found that by removing the USB and re-inserting it seems to fix it..

And I have also found that if I kill the 5 "3Dx" processes and "Mgl3DCtlrRPCService.exe" and then re-run the Properties tool, the Pilot re-connects and the LCD is fine.

But it locks up frequently and I wonder if there is a permanent fix?

Anyone else seen this?
UtaSH

Re: SpacePilot LCD screen stops updating

Post by UtaSH »

Hi jweaver,

do you have installed a driver from Logitech? The LCD manager that comes with our driver is originally from Logitech and is a quite old version in the meantime. It might be that there are conflicts with a newer driver from Logitech.

BTW: instead of killing 5 processes you can as well just stop the driver. There is a shortcut in the Start -> All Apps -> 3Dconnexion folder. Copy the shortcut to stop and the one to start the driver to your desktop. That would ease the process at least. ;)
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

UtaSH wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 am Hi jweaver,

do you have installed a driver from Logitech? The LCD manager that comes with our driver is originally from Logitech and is a quite old version in the meantime. It might be that there are conflicts with a newer driver from Logitech.

BTW: instead of killing 5 processes you can as well just stop the driver. There is a shortcut in the Start -> All Apps -> 3Dconnexion folder. Copy the shortcut to stop and the one to start the driver to your desktop. That would ease the process at least. ;)
When you say a driver from Logitech? Do you mean a specific driver for the SpacePilot? Or another Logitech driver?

I have a Logitech driver for my mouse (a normal mouse) but nothing else.. The only drivers I am using for the SpacePilot are directly from 3DConnexion.

Thanks for the tip on how to stop/start the drivers, that will help. .And too be honest, since I am only using this for ONE application (which I only use occasionally) its no big deal to stop/start the driver from time to time.

Jon
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

The stop/start driver tool is a good solution to my problem (thanks for that tip).. Infact, drilling down into "All programs" is fine too, as the Space Pilot is an occasional use thing for me anyway.

Its also solved another issue.. When i am having problems with the LCD, I also get a problem where lauching the 3dConnexion Properties (either from Windows or a hard button on the SpacePilot) gives the error "3Dxprofileserver.exe has stopped responding". The Properties window still appears and everything works, but I get the error every time I launch properties.

But after a stop/start, its all good and clean again.. So i am quite happy having to stop the driver once and a while.. I would prefer it not to be this away, but this is hardly a daily tool that I am going to use, so I can live with this.

Cheers

Jon
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello jweaver,

it seems we now know why the LCD stops updating: the 3DxProfileServer isn't running. This is the process that is handling which profile is loaded. Would be good if we can investigate this.

Do you see a crash dump for the 3DxProfileServer? Check the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps).

Let me know what you find.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

UtaSH wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 am Hello jweaver,

it seems we now know why the LCD stops updating: the 3DxProfileServer isn't running. This is the process that is handling which profile is loaded. Would be good if we can investigate this.

Do you see a crash dump for the 3DxProfileServer? Check the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps).

Let me know what you find.
I am not sure its that.... I see the "3DxProfileServer" error frequently, and the LCD still works.. My LCD seems to lock up irrespective of this.

funnily, I can not touch the PC for days and the screen never freezed.. But I do something (not sure what yet) and it locks up.

I still get the 3DxProfileServer error, usually when launching properties.. And I also see it when doing a stop/start of the service, but not ever time.

A few days ago I changed USB port and so far, the LCD hasn't locked up (Yet)... But I still get the 3DxPS crashes...

I will certainly look for the Crash files, but as this is the SpacePilot and 10.4 drivers, I didn't think you would be interested...

I am still activly debugging this, but am still tempted to source a "SpaceNavigator" to get something supported, so I can use the 10.5 drivers.... That said, I think I will miss some of the buttons I have on my SpacePilot...
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

No Crashdump folder here (Win7).. I have CrashRpt, but its empty...
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Ah yes. I was under the impression you have the SpacePilot Pro and are using a recent driver. Sorry, didn't read you initial post thoroughly.

It could be that you have a broken profile. I recommend that you follow the instructions from our FAQ #1100 to see if removing the existing configuration and setting files would help.
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 am Ah yes. I was under the impression you have the SpacePilot Pro and are using a recent driver. Sorry, didn't read you initial post thoroughly.

It could be that you have a broken profile. I recommend that you follow the instructions from our FAQ #1100 to see if removing the existing configuration and setting files would help.
:) Nope.. Just an old SpacePilot here, so am not expecting much in the way of support.

I moved USB ports and too my surprise, the LCD has not locked up since. i can still reproduce the "3DxProfileServer" error at will.. Generally when playing with the Properties tool. Or when restarting the driver.. But that doesn't seem to cause ANY ill effects, other than the error.

The only problem I have no is that the "reverse" tick boxes do not work, which is not a problem for Sketchup, but in GoogleMaps the 'altitude' is back to front.. But to be honest, I am not going to loose much sleep about that..

Thanks for your help

Jon