Sketchup crashes when moving and panning at the same time.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jweaver

Sketchup crashes when moving and panning at the same time.

Post by jweaver »

I managed to get hold of an old SpacePilot and after a bit of research learned that whilst the current (10.5) drivers have removed support, the old (10.4) drivers still work.

So I downloaded 10.4 R2558 and it seemed to work well.

But I have been playing around with Sketchup and have had several crashes that I have never seen before... I then did a bit of searching and saw some talk of using the Move tool whilst panning with the 3D Mouse and true enough, I can reproduce it any time.

If I draw something, then grab part of it and move, whilst panning I can get Sketchup to crash every time.. As such, this makes it unusable as work done before the crash is lost.

I have tried Sketchup 2016 and 2017 and its the same.. But I can't try 2018, as I believe the 10.4 drivers don't work.

so I am stuck.. has anyone encountered this and have any suggestions of what I can do...
jweaver

Re: Sketchup crashes when moving and panning at the same time.

Post by jweaver »

I have made some progress and thought I would update this in case it helps someone else.

All of my tests until now have been with Sketchup 2016 and 10.4 R2558 drivers..

I could reproduce the issue every time by simply drawing a square and selecting/moving a corner (not an edge or face) whilst changing the view with the SpacePilot.. Every time I did both things at the same time, it would crash SU instantly.

I tried using 10.3 drivers and it was the same.. I also tried Sketchup 2017 which I found I already had installed but hadn't used and it was the same as SU2016.

But I then checked the version of SU2017 and found it wasn't the latest, so I downloaded the latest version and installed it. Before testing, I also downloaded SU2018 just to try out (Even thought I knew it didn't support the 10.4 drivers).

After this, I tested again with the new SU2017 version and to my surprise it didn't crash.. So I went back to the original version of SU2016 and was staggered that it also did not have the crash bug any more.

I have tried and tried and tried and can't get SU to crash in v2016 and 2017...

It seems that either updating to the latest SU2017 or installing SU2018 has updated some kind of "shared resource" which is used by all versions and this has fixed the issue in both SU2016 and SU2017.

Either way, it now seems entirly stable and I am not going to touch anything..

I hope this helps someone

Jon