Does KMJ emulator still work?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

GreyArea

Does KMJ emulator still work?

Post by GreyArea »

Spacemouse works fine with it's demos, but was hoping to use it with games and applications that only support cirtual joysticks. VJoy doesn't recognise my Spacemouse wireless, even with a third party app called "sxvjoy" which is supposed to capture the outputs of the spacemouse and "translate" them for vjoy, and I receive no inputs from the KMJ emulator.

Is this normal behaviour? Product is of limited use if so and may have to be returned...

Thanks!

Regards,
theed

Re: Does KMJ emulator still work?

Post by theed »

GreyArea wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:20 am Spacemouse works fine with it's demos, but was hoping to use it with games and applications that only support cirtual joysticks. VJoy doesn't recognise my Spacemouse wireless, even with a third party app called "sxvjoy" which is supposed to capture the outputs of the spacemouse and "translate" them for vjoy, and I receive no inputs from the KMJ emulator.

Is this normal behaviour? Product is of limited use if so and may have to be returned...

Thanks!

Regards,
What version are you on?
GreyArea

Post by GreyArea »

Version of what?
jwick

Post by jwick »

The driver does still support generating joystick events (no GUI for it unfortunately).

If you want to use a third party emulator (which is probably more capable than ours), you have to tell the driver about it, so it stops doing its default thing. Depending on the emulator, you may have to tell the driver to generate joystick events, or that a DirectInput or Raw Input cfg needs to be used.

Point me to the doc for your emulator and I'll see if I can tell you what needs to be done.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

jwick wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:01 am The driver does still support generating joystick events (no GUI for it unfortunately).

If you want to use a third party emulator (which is probably more capable than ours), you have to tell the driver about it, so it stops doing its default thing. Depending on the emulator, you may have to tell the driver to generate joystick events, or that a DirectInput or Raw Input cfg needs to be used.

Point me to the doc for your emulator and I'll see if I can tell you what needs to be done.
This is so pathetic! You invest a lot of I+D to make a wonderful piece of hardware with so much potential but you don't care a thing about developing a decent driver for it! These devices are pretty expensive. It seems that you only care in selling them and getting the money but then you don't care about your users. Please, release that driver with Joystick-Mouse-Keyboard emulation and configuration GUI you promised eight years ago!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Well, there's nothing I can do about the GUI, but if you tell me what you need I can probably create a cfg file for you.
Keeping people using this functionality helps to prevent it from rusting away.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Overload (same developers who made Descent 1&2) are using rewired for input.
http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/do ... llers.html

Scrolling down to "Controllers not supported at all"

It says
"Controllers not supported by Raw Input, Direct Input, or XInput on Windows, or I/O Kit on OSX"
and it says
"Controllers that require a special SDK (3D Connexion mouse, etc.)"

If this is the case, then it would seem that 3D Connexion no longer supports Raw Input nor Direct Input, I hope that is not the case.

Just above that it also says that mapping as an additional keyboard or mouse isn't supported (yet), possibly this is why it doesn't work with the KMJ driver. Maybe my drivers have become corrupted as the only program I've been able to run with a 3D Mouse is Google Earth lately (just like in 2010.) All of the dozen or so programs I've used to have no problems with have stopped working with the 3D mouse in the last 2 years or so.
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

jwick wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 am Well, there's nothing I can do about the GUI, but if you tell me what you need I can probably create a cfg file for you.
Which is crazy, as it allready was there way back in the beta days.... have you ever looked what your competitor (Spacecontrol) is doing? Think how many of your Spacenavigators you could sell... well then as said in the other thread, i have no other explanation than license restrictions, so it probably will never see the day of light with this hardware. Sad.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Back in 2011 I had many games working with the KMJ driver (just a few mentioned on this thread)
http://www.jaycrowe.com/phpbb3/viewtopi ... =52&p=1207

Now https://www.3dconnexion.com/games is gone (only had 3 games in it)

And I don't even have access to the game profile threads I made on this 3DConnexion board! For example, this one about Quake 1&2, I'm not authorized to view my own thread!?
https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 2849#22849

It's almost as if games are not authorized programs for 3DConnexion devices. Sure miss SpaceTec, much better game support.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Actually I was doing something wrong with the xml files, just recently edited them to work. KMJ emulator seems to work just fine, I'm starting to get some newer games working with 3DMice as well.
ealbuquerque

Post by ealbuquerque »

jwick wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 am Well, there's nothing I can do about the GUI, but if you tell me what you need I can probably create a cfg file for you.
Hi, Jwick

I have a SpaceMouse Pro. Could you help me create a cfg file for using the hardware on Unity3d? I would need to read the 6 axes as a joystick command. If I could read the buttons too, it would be great.
I never created a cfg file, so I'm very lost, right now.

Thanks
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello ealbuquerque,

That's a slightly complicated question. Some people on our forum and elsewhere have done some work with Unity3D. If you can take advantage of that, it may be better than using our joystick emulation. I've seen some of them. They are very good.

But assuming that is not for you:
1) Start with our JoystickTemplate.xml file.
2) Change it from an <AppCfgTemplate> to an <AppCfg> (top and bottom of the xml file).
3) Change the Name value to something useful to you (the name of your app for example).
4) Put the name of your executable in <ExecutableName>.
5) Save the file using some useful name (YourApp.xml). If you don't have write access to the Program Files directory (you shouldn't), save the file in %PROGRAMDATA%\3Dconnexin\3DxWare\Cfg.
6) You should then be able to start your application and the driver should use this new cfg you created when your application is in focus. If it doesn't, then you might already have a file that it is using in %appdata%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/cfg. You should delete that file.
** You can see what file the driver is using by hovering over the 3Dx icon in the systray.