Comments from a disabled user

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

BlindGeek

Comments from a disabled user

Post by BlindGeek »

Hi, let me introduce myself.

I'm a disabled computer user with limited mobility and limited eyesight. I recently purchased a SpaceNavigator on the advice of a friend who loves playing around in Google Earth and does design work in AutoCad.

I've got the SpaceNavigator up and working and have to admit that it has made Google Earth accessible for me.

I have also installed the 3dxOffice software that seems to give me limited use of the SpaceNavigator as an up/down scroll mouse. This is a great benefit to me, as I can leave my left hand on the SpaceNavigator to scroll, whereas previously I found it extremely difficult to scroll using a standard wheel mouse.

While I understand that 3dConnexion have no immediate plans to release drivers that enable the use of the SpaceNavigator as a mouse, I would appreciate them. I would try RBC9's implimentation but it seems a little too involved for a user such as me. Specifically, I would appreciate an add-in for IE7 being coded that would allow me to zoom the page using the SpaceNavigator, and using the rotate function to move through my history.

The other area I would really appreciate more development is in the control panels ability to detect applications. While the 3dxOffice add-in seems to detect Outlook, IE, Windows Explorer and Word, it doesn't seem to handle other applications that I use reguarly, including notepad. I can add custom functions, but each application appears as 'Any Application', and changing the assigned function overwrites custom functions I defined for another app. A per application storage, under the name of the running process name, such as notepad.exe, would be more useful.

Again, i'd like to thank 3dConnexion for effectively enabling me to use google earth to its full potential, but please don't marginalise users who want/need to be able to customise there SpaceNavigator more.

Yours

Adam Page
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Adam,

I'm glad that our devices are making your computer a little more accessible. Future changes we are planning may help some more.

You can save a configuration specifically for applications like notepad by saving a configuration while that application is running. Specifically, make your changes while notepad is running, then select Save As... under the Options menu in the 3DxWare GUI (use the systray icon to bring this up). Give this configuration a unique name. This will assocaiate this config with notepad and it will be called up each time you use notepad in the future.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
BlindGeek

Post by BlindGeek »

Thanks Jim. I've now got a few applications set up just the way I want them, and i'm enjoying my computer a lot more than I have done recently. Cheers