SpaceTraveler3 and Vista

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Harvest

SpaceTraveler3 and Vista

Post by Harvest »

I recently purchased a SpaceTraveler3 to use with Inventor 2010 on my laptop running Vista. It worked so-so with the drivers that came on CD with the product, so I tried to update to a newer version. To my surprise this seems to be an unkonwn product on 3D's website!!? So I opted for "Navigator for Notebooks", but this leaves the device unrecognised. I have subsequently tried a clean install, removing all traces af previous installattions, but to no avail.
Any assistance is much appreciated.

Jan Harvest
Jan Harvest
UtaSH

Re: SpaceTraveler3 and Vista

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Jan,

the SpaceTraveler is the last entry in the list of the products on our download page. The appropriate driver for your device on Windows will be 3DxSoftware 3.7.22.
joq

Post by joq »

Will there be a Windows 7 driver release for the Spacetravelers?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi joq,

the support for the SpaceTraveler ended in May 2009 (see here). You can still download a driver for the SpaceTraveler from our download page. It is version 3.7.22. There is no official support for this driver version on Windows 7. But feel free to try it.

Edit: link to new FAQ service.
caska

Post by caska »

I can't download version 3.7.22 driver for my Spacetraveler
the system kept asking me to create My3DX acccount
I created and logged in, but I still can't download the driver
It seems there is error in the sytem... orz

Is there other way to get the driver?
Thank you
aoc2000

Download 3dxSoftware v.3.7.22

Post by aoc2000 »

I have same problem. Try this direct link works for me.
http://www.3dconnexion.eu/index.php?eID ... 3-7-22.exe
Fred

Post by Fred »

When you created the account.
Did you check your email for a confirmation email?
Check the Spam folder as well.
When you locate the email click on the link.
This will them allow you to go to the site and login to the account.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

caska wrote:I can't download version 3.7.22 driver for my Spacetraveler
the system kept asking me to create My3DX acccount
I created and logged in, but I still can't download the driver
It seems there is error in the sytem... orz

Is there other way to get the driver?
Thank you
Hello caska,

I checked you account in our database. You should now be able to login and download the driver. Please try the following: first login to My3Dx and then go to the download page and see if the driver is available for you. Note: the login here to the forum, this is a different one than to My3Dx. Please let me know if you were successful. Otherwise I will find another possibility for you to get the driver.
UtaSH

Re: Download 3dxSoftware v.3.7.22

Post by UtaSH »

aoc2000 wrote:I have same problem. Try this direct link works for me.
http://www.3dconnexion.eu/index.php?eID ... 3-7-22.exe
Hi aoc2000,
see above my response to caska. You account should work. It is activated and you should be able to login. If you are on the 3Dconnexion homepage and you are logged in you will see in lower right corner a big box with a red/white ball telling you that "You are logged in". When you are not logged in you will see the box to subscribe to our newsletter at this place. Please let me know if you could login or if we still need to check our system. 8)
hendendijk

What about windows 7 64 bits

Post by hendendijk »

What about windows 7 64 bits
Is there an old vista 64 driver evailable

Thanks ahead
Bryan

SpaceTraveler and 3DxSoftware 3.7.22

Post by Bryan »

Dear to hendendijk,

To Quote Uta:

"the support for the SpaceTraveler ended in May 2009 (see here). You can still download a driver for the SpaceTraveler from our download page. It is version 3.7.22. There is no official support for this driver version on Windows 7. But feel free to try it."

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
dsuelflow

Post by dsuelflow »

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard, you spend a couple hundred dollars on a piece of hardware and now you cannot get a driver for it. I could understand if it were something surpassed by technology, but a mouse? You guys have always been lacking in support… but this is ludicrous. I guess when you are the only game in town you can treat your customers any way you want. You should support spacetraveler3 on Windows 7 x64. Period.

Plus ca change… Plus c'est la meme chose
Axure

Post by Axure »

dsuelflow, isn't this obvious? They want to force you to buy a new device. What is one disgruntled forum poster, when they get the whole SpaceTraveler crowd to buy a new device for Windows 7?

3Dconnexion simply puts a little additional profit above the good of customer.
jchaussee

Post by jchaussee »

dsuelflow wrote:This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard, you spend a couple hundred dollars on a piece of hardware and now you cannot get a driver for it. I could understand if it were something surpassed by technology, but a mouse? You guys have always been lacking in support… but this is ludicrous. I guess when you are the only game in town you can treat your customers any way you want. You should support spacetraveler3 on Windows 7 x64. Period.

Plus ca change… Plus c'est la meme chose
Yep I totally agree with your comment! Totally and utterly ludicrous! Typical example of a business climbing the ladder quickly and losing all sense of customer focus!

I was this afternoon in a Solid Edge training and was talking about 3D mouses with the trainer when he looked at my Space Traveler and told me it was not supported anymore so I would not be able to use it when we switch to Windows 7! He had a company last week who had 120 of these. Now they have to replace them all... I guess it's pretty obvious why they've done it!

This is completely outrageous. I spend a fair amount of money on it. I have taken good care of it and I am totally happy with it. Why should I not be entitled to some user support?!!!

I've looked at the Space Navigator and there is no clear step forward in technology! So how can they justify why I should change? If anything it is a massive step backwards compared to the Space Traveler!!! It only has 2 buttons, what would I do with that?!!! This is useless I use 7 out of the 8 buttons on my current one! But I do need to travel with it so the Space Explorer is no good for me either...

With the Space Traveler off, today, there is no product that match my requirements! So what is your answer?

I'm also trying to start a business on the side but I need all the help and cost savings I can get ... This is definitely not helping!!!

3D Connexion, where is your respect for your customers?! Remember this: there is no competition currently. No doubt this won't last!!! Now is the time to make lasting relationships with your customers.

As for users in the same situation, I can only suggest one thing: publicise this problem as much as possible, use forums like EngTips and others, use word of mouth. You never know, if enough of us complain, maybe they will see sense... Long shot I know. But one can only dream!

Cheers,
J.
zzz2496

Post by zzz2496 »

A bit off topic...

Talk about competition, there's a new start up that makes 3D mouse from Germany, it's called ************ (google them, I read about them @ engadget). The concept is more or less the same with 3DConnexion's, but the rotational movement are measured using optical sensor with pixel to pixel precision compared to relative positioning a'la 3DConnexion (I'd say their implementation is a tad better than 3DConnexion's). The bad is, it's like having SpaceNavigator with the size of my SpacePilot PRO with NO ADDITIONAL BUTTONS whatsoever... And they too claims that they don't need a driver, you just need an application plugin, and they have SDK available in near future (just like 3DConnexion). Are we looking at "two of a kind" companies?

Back on topic...

I sincerely beg 3DConnexion, get your act together... please. A device costing $99++ (back then) should be supported at least for 5 years. The mechanical part of the 3D controller is nearly indestructible, but the driver support died less than 5 years of product life time... I hope this is not a nasty joke in the making. Nvidia supported their products that are more than 5 years old, I'm not saying they're the best, but at least the support is there...

And please, make the 3DxWare v7.x open beta... PLEASE...
And at least support all USB 3DConnexion devices with v7.x so that all of your users can benefit from it. The best advertising media is loyal_happy_supported_customers, they WILL bring you more customers. The worst media that can chase your customers away is disappointed_unsatisfied_unsupported_and_feeling_deceived_customers.

zzz2496