Compatibility with CAD mouse and Space Pilot (and pro)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Incognito

Compatibility with CAD mouse and Space Pilot (and pro)

Post by Incognito »

Hello,

I just recent purchase a few of the CAD Mice and installed the latest driver (10.5.3) and started having some issues. Are these devices compatible with each other?

Space Pilot pro issue - Setup appaears to reconise both devices but the driver seems to crash. If do a "start driver" it works for just a few seconds.

Space Pilot - Nothing works and the setup does not even seem to recognize it.

I am hoping the CAD mouse does not obsolete my current working Space Pilot/pro devise but I am struggling getting the two device to work together.

Thank you
Tehrasha

Re: Compatibility with CAD mouse and Space Pilot (and pro)

Post by Tehrasha »

Official support for the SpacePilot ended in March of 2013 (replaced by the SpacePilot Pro), so I doubt compatibility was ever tested with the new CAD Mouse.

They stopped making the SpacePilot Pro in 2016 (replaced by the Spacemouse Enterprise), but it is still supported till 2019, so you should be good there.

Did you completely remove the old driver before installing the new one?
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

Hi Tehrasha,

Yes I did completely remove the old driver before installing the new one.

I understand about the support but I was just hoping that purchasing a 3d connexxion mouse would not break it.

I am wondering if it is possible to load the drivers for space pilot and the mouse separately. That way I can use the older pilot driver with the new mouse driver.

The only other option that I see at this time is to return the cad mice and use the older driver. Which I guess is doable but but in opinion that does not seem to make good business sense for 3D connexxion and would think they would have a solution to this.

Thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Incognito,

our latest drivers (3DxWare 10.5.0 and higher) do not support the SpacePilot anymore.
  • We are sorry you are disappointed with the driver availability for your SpacePilot.

We would like to clarify that SpacePilot was discontinued in March 2010 and software support was maintained for three years. This means we continued to test the product with all new drivers until March 31st 2016.

After this date, we did not take any steps to stop SpacePilot working, but it is not tested with newer drivers. This means we do not list these drivers when you search for SpacePilot on the driver download page. However, if you download 3DxWare 10.4.10 from our driver archive download site by searching for another product (I suggest SpaceMouse Pro), there is a chance it will work fine with your SpacePilot. Please be aware that because SpacePilot is not tested with this driver we will not be able to offer further technical support (but we hope that is not necessary).
The SpacePilot Pro is still supported as Tehrasha explained.

It is not possible to run two different versions of the 3Dconnexion driver at the same time.