Problem with SolidWorks with latest drivers

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowtie Bob

Problem with SolidWorks with latest drivers

Post by Bowtie Bob »

In large assembly drawings in SolidWorks 2010, the views need to be redrawn anytime you zoom in or out. With the latest driver package (3.9.0) it isn't doing a redraw unless I use my regular mouse to zoom.

I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled 3.8.3 and it seems to be working correctly, so I am assuming it is a problem with the latest update.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Bowtie Bob,

We're not seeing this. Do you recall if the problem was reproducible with every drawing document? Or did it have to have views of a complex assembly?
Nuno Gomes
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

It must be only on complex assemblies. I've checked a few part drawings and small assembly drawings, but they dont seem to require the redraw effect that my large assembly drawings do.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Would it be possible to send us a drawing document (and all other documents linked to from the drawing) that can be used to reproduce the issue?

If you can, please refer to the private message with an e-mail address that you can use to send the data. Let us know when you have sent the data by posting a reply in this topic.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

I am also seeing the same problem with the latest driver. If I use the Spacepilot to zoom into a drawing, the views & lines look like draft mode views with wide crayon sized lines. This is on a system running Windows Vista 64 bit with an Nvidia Quadro FX1700 with driver 8.15.11.8618 I am running the same driver on my laptop with a Spacepilot running Windows 7 64bit with a Quadro M360M & driver version 8.17.11.9562 and don't see this behavior. I didn't have this with the older drivers but have not went back to an older driver yet.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi jalcad,

Are you seeing this with all drawing files or just with complex documents? It may be that SolidWorks is optimising the view to keep the frame rate (and sacrificing view quality in the process).
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

It appears to be with assembly files that have quite a bit of geometry in it. The only thing is when I zoom with a SW area zoom, the view is OK. It's only when zooming using the Spacepilot knob to zoom in. It only started this with the new driver that was installed
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Would it be possible for you to send us a sample document? If yes, then I will send you a PM with the address where to send the file.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Sent you a PM with a link to download a file I'm seeing this with.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi jalcad,

Thanks for sending us the data.

We tried to reproduce the issue and we're not seeing anything wrong. What we did was to load your drawing document (there's only one in the sample file set) in SW2010 and compared the zoom performance using the 3D mouse and mouse wheel.

Sure enough, your model will put the system under stress but we do not see a difference in the view quality if using a 3D mouse or a normal mouse.

Perhaps we should be looking elsewhere? What do you suggest we should be checking instead?
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

I wouldn't have any idea where to look other than I didn't have this issue with the last driver & using it to zoom. I tried it with & without the center zoom point with no difference. I will uninstall this driver & use the one previous to this once since that one did not have this problem.
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

You might try putting solidworks under a load by opening more than one large model along with the drawing.

I would send one of my models, but the files that I've had problems with are too big to send by email.
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

Not sure what Windows you tested it in (if it makes a difference), but I'm running XP 32 bit.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Bowtie Bob wrote:You might try putting solidworks under a load by opening more than one large model along with the drawing.
With the document provided by jalcad, the system was under a lot of strain. SolidWorks would change the view at 1 - 2 fps.
I'm running XP 32 bit.
We tried XP 32-bit, yes.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

I uninstalled 3.9.0 and reinstalled 3.8.3. The file I was having the problems with would still show the huge crayon lines for approx 2 seconds and then it refreshed & was normal again. So I would say that something in the 3.9 driver is at fault but what that is I wouldn't have any idea. This is with Windows Vista 64 bit.