Spacenavigator for Gaming

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dimaria

Spacenavigator for Gaming

Post by dimaria »

Does anyone have any experience using the Spacenavigator for gaming (I'm thinking EVE, possibly dust off Descent, etc)?

I obviously don't have one *yet*, but I did notice Counterstrike as a listed profile in some driver screenshots. ;)

So, how's driver support and response time in games, especially of the space variety? Any tips or tricks?
RPro

Re: Spacenavigator for Gaming

Post by RPro »

RPro

Post by RPro »

Also check out the last post in this thread, related to Descent:
https://descendentstudios.com/community ... ers/page-2
Tharat

Post by Tharat »

Hey-hey! I'm using this model https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-3DX- ... B000LB7G00 cheap and reliable. Best thing you can get for $100. Besides, makes work with 3DC so much better! Give it a shot!
I spy with my little eye :P
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

I removed the electronics form a Spacenavigator and fabricated a custom grip. I"m using the RBC9 driver and software on Windows 10 for custom gaming setup.Image. I've been using this setup since 2010.
Attachments
GameNavigator-2R.jpg
GameNavigator-2R.jpg (157.48 KiB) Viewed 62025 times
GameNavigator.IMG_3223.JPG
GameNavigator.IMG_3223.JPG (193.33 KiB) Viewed 62025 times
Don Muddiman
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

muddiman wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm I removed the electronics form a Spacenavigator and fabricated a custom grip. I"m using the RBC9 driver and software on Windows 10 for custom gaming setup. I've been using this setup since 2010.
Ok, you have my attention. :)
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Betzge

Post by Betzge »

Hi muddiman,

you have my attention too :D :D

Especially how you got the RBC9 driver running on windows 10 (64bit?)
I've been using the RBC9 driver for many years under Windows 7 64bit
Under Windows 10 64bit, I did not get the RBC9 driver to running, he ends with a blue Screen :(

Please describe how you made it work on Windows 10

Best regards
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

I’ve been using the RBC9 SpaceNavigator driver and program since its release in January 2007. RBC9 wrote the program and driver because of the limitations of the 3Dconnections software. Those limitations still exist today in the current 3Dconnections software. Windows XP was the operating system at the time and it worked great until Windows started releasing 64Bit operating systems. Since that time RBC9 disappeared from the scene never to be heard from again. Fortunately, he had provided the complete source code for his project. There were several updates to RBC9’s driver and software by others making it functional in Windows 7 64Bit. Michael Balieu was the last one to update the driver and software. Since that time I’ve been using Windows 7 64Bit as my gaming operating system along with Michael Balieu’s RBC9 update. I resisted to upgrading to Windows 10 because I would possibly lose the functionality of my custom controller that depended on the RBC9 software and driver. I’ve built several controllers over the years using the electronics of the SpaceNavigator and RBC9’s software.
After recently building a new Windows 10 64Bit PC I successfully installed the driver. So far I have never had the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) using the Michael Balieu RBC9 driver. The only issue I have is the RBC9-SpaceDeviceTool may close at times but the configuration continues to work as applied.

Why I use the RBC9 software and driver.
1) It supports slices *(See note below).
2) Very easy to program.
3) The ability to bind a keyboard functions at any axis value.
4) Program keyboard bind to function with full axis. (Keyboard bind would be pressed either way the axis was moving.)
5) Program keyboard bind press to function only when the axis goes in the minus direction.
6) Program keyboard bind press to function only when the axis goes in the plus direction.
7) Provide a Dead zone for the keyboard bind press.
8) Program multiple keyboard key binds per axis.
9) Program keyboard bind to be pressed only.
10) Program keyboard bind to be release only.
11) Program Keyboard bind repeat rate.
12) Program Keyboard bind as a long or short press.
13) Provide any keyboard key as a bind.
*Here is a good example of programming multiple binds/Slices per axis for a FPS game.
Program at mid axis minus direction for the player to go to couch position, the couch state would remain until the axis crosses zero and into the preset positive direction. At that time, the player would return to standing position. Now add another bind beyond the couch setting near the full axis and the player would go into the prone position, the prone position state would remain until the axis crosses zero and into the preset positive direction that would return the player back to standing position and/or add an additional bind in the positive axis that would make the player jump.

Below is a link to the docs and drivers for the Windows 10 install.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16LxFm ... pHpGOyEv8Y

Best Regards,
Don Muddiman
Attachments
IMG_1252-HDR_AntRS.jpg
IMG_1252-HDR_AntRS.jpg (233.98 KiB) Viewed 59952 times
Don Muddiman
Betzge

Post by Betzge »

Hi muddiman,

thanks for the good instructions, the RBC9 driver runs again under windows 10 :D :D

After the RBC9 driver did not work for me under Windows 10 ( or I did not manage it :wink: ) i got a space mouse from SpaceControl.
They have a really good driver where, as with RBC9, you can set everything individually, even keys on axes
SpaceControl.jpg
SpaceControl.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 59823 times
Personally, I find the hardware of 3dconnexion better, ergonomic for my Hand, so I'm really glad that the RBC9 driver is running again :D

Thanks and best regards
bestazy17

Post by bestazy17 »

I have a Space Navigator, and this style of controller is totally inappropriate for games. It is far too slow, and can't be configured to make the game play well.

It is best reserved from programs that it best suits, which are things like Google Earth, SketchUp, and other 3D apps. Not 3D games, sadly.
jigdagod

Post by jigdagod »

muddiman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 pm I’ve been using the RBC9 SpaceNavigator driver and program since its release in January 2007. RBC9 wrote the program and driver because of the limitations of the 3Dconnections software. Those limitations still exist today in the current 3Dconnections software. Windows XP was the operating system at the time and it worked great until Windows started releasing 64Bit operating systems. Since that time RBC9 disappeared from the scene never to be heard from again. Fortunately, he had provided the complete source code for his project. There were several updates to RBC9’s driver and software by others making it functional in Windows 7 64Bit. Michael Balieu was the last one to update the driver and software. Since that time I’ve been using Windows 7 64Bit as my gaming operating system along with Michael Balieu’s RBC9 update. I resisted to upgrading to Windows 10 because I would possibly lose the functionality of my custom controller that depended on the RBC9 software and driver. I’ve built several controllers over the years using the electronics of the SpaceNavigator and RBC9’s software.
After recently building a new Windows 10 64Bit PC I successfully installed the driver. So far I have never had the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) using the Michael Balieu RBC9 driver. The only issue I have is the RBC9-SpaceDeviceTool may close at times but the configuration continues to work as applied.

Why I use the RBC9 software and driver.
1) It supports slices *(See note below).
2) Very easy to program.
3) The ability to bind a keyboard functions at any axis value.
4) Program keyboard bind to function with full axis. (Keyboard bind would be pressed either way the axis was moving.)
5) Program keyboard bind press to function only when the axis goes in the minus direction.
6) Program keyboard bind press to function only when the axis goes in the plus direction.
7) Provide a Dead zone for the keyboard bind press.
8) Program multiple keyboard key binds per axis.
9) Program keyboard bind to be pressed only.
10) Program keyboard bind to be release only.
11) Program Keyboard bind repeat rate.
12) Program Keyboard bind as a long or short press.
13) Provide any keyboard key as a bind.
*Here is a good example of programming multiple binds/Slices per axis for a FPS game.
Program at mid axis minus direction for the player to go to couch position, the couch state would remain until the axis crosses zero and into the preset positive direction. At that time, the player would return to standing position. Now add another bind beyond the couch setting near the full axis and the player would go into the prone position, the prone position state would remain until the axis crosses zero and into the preset positive direction that would return the player back to standing position and/or add an additional bind in the positive axis that would make the player jump.

Below is a link to the docs and drivers for the Windows 10 install.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16LxFm ... pHpGOyEv8Y

Best Regards,
Don Muddiman
Is is required to stay in Test Mode for the driver to continue to work? I couldn't find abything on it. When I get out of test mode the driver has a yellow exclamation point even when I made driver signing off permanently.
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

Hi bestazy17,
I agree the SpaceNavigator in its current physical configuration and software does not lend it to being a good game controller and/or a 3D controller. Having to hold your hand above the knob in an unnatural position is uncomfortable and hard to control fine moments using hours on end. That's why I redesigned the physical configuration of the controller (See previously posted images). In my configuration, you can adjust the ball/knob to rest in your hand at a normal comfortable position that can be used for hours at a time without fatigue. It also allows for to control finer moments of the controller. As being slow I don't understand the remark. The SpaceNavigator responds instantly to commands, maybe the software interface your using is causing a delay. I use the SpaceNavigator with the RBC9 software/driver to emulate the keyboard commands such as WASD, run, walk, crouch prone, jump, reload, etc. For me, this allows better game immersion using a slight touch of the SpaceNavigator as to hammering the keyboard keys. Until you have tried it you can't appreciate how natural this feels using it in combination with a mouse. Push the ball/knob slightly forward, you walk, push further you run. That's why being able to set slices is important and the RBC9 software supports that feature as 3Dconnection does not. RBC9 seen the potential of the SpaceNavigator controller leading him to write the software and driver. My physical configuration is a spin off the SpaceOrb using one hand instead of both. For me its the best configuration for gaming.
Best Regards,
Don
Attachments
IMG_9953R.JPG
IMG_9953R.JPG (60.38 KiB) Viewed 59699 times
Don Muddiman
jigdagod

Post by jigdagod »

I'm really loving this so far with the applications I'm using it with. Since I got the SpaceNavigator to work I'm interested in getting the SpaceMouse Enterprise for all the buttons. Does this driver work for the enterprise as well?
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

That's great to hear jigdagod. The driver supports the following;
RBC9-SpaceNav.inf device list.
%RBC9_TRA.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C623 ; SpaceTraveler
%RBC9_PIL.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C625 ; SpacePilot
%RBC9_NAV.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C626 ; SpaceNav
%RBC9_EXP.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C627 ; SpaceExplorer
%RBC9_NFN.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C628 ; SpaceNavigatorForNotebooks
%RBC9_NFN.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C629 ; SpacePilot Pro

It may work If you were to add the USB/VID info to the INF file. The only issue I see is the RBC9 software only supports two buttons.
Best Regards,
Don
Don Muddiman
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

Yes, Windows 10 and 7 has to stay in test mode for the driver to work. There is a method to remove the test mode text notification in the lower right corner.
Best Regards,
Don
Don Muddiman