Spacenavigator for Gaming

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jigdagod

Re: Spacenavigator for Gaming

Post by jigdagod »

Thank you for the responses. I did find the method to remove the test mode text. I was going to use the 3dconnexion software to configure the buttons since I was able to use both at the same time with the SpaceNavigator. I think I will order the Enterprise and add it to the info list and if I can get it to work I'll report back. Thanks again.
mgmarms

Post by mgmarms »

Interesting controller in your photos.
In which games do you use it?

I use this controller for all games.
ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM »

That seat needs a curved monitor attached to it, and a seat-position sensor, for full immersion!

Turn the seat, and the monitors turn with you, but the scenery remains in a fixed position, relative to the base.

Might be fun with a VR head-set, if VR head-sets didn't all depend on your ability to see near, without glasses and cause lag-sickness.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Like non-Space Navigators, your GameNavigator contraption uses one's wrist to clamp the device down onto the desk. Though without all of the buttons which I personally rarely use as I don't want to remove my hand from the puck, instead I use my other hand to press buttons either on the keyboard (tons of easily accessed buttons) or 2DMouse. (SpaceOrb was sort of like this, but the right hand keyboard was basically all the buttons on the SpaceOrb)

Did you install stiffer springs? SpaceOrb's stiff springs were awesome, but lack of stoppers were resulting in broken SpaceOrbs. Space Navigator's stoppers prevent broken Space Navigators, but the loose springs turns it into more of a joystick positional device rather than a super fast force input device like the SpaceOrb.

Even with an unclamped loose spring Space Navigator you could still have amazing control with proper software settings. I had a blast playing with a suped up pyro in the 6DOF games Descent 1&2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FRIVEVntwj

The level of control would probably be insanely amazing having a clamped device with stiff springs.
Cleanse

Post by Cleanse »

I recently had an amputation. Was wondering if this could work as a mouse for gaming? (an MMORPG)
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

Unfortunately, this discussion goes on as long as these controllers exist but it seems not possible/worth for 3D connexion to pursue the solution that was already implemented in earlier versions of v10 Beta (and removed on the way without notification).

Well meanwhile I found, that 3Dconnexions actually DOES manufacture a variation of there input controller that exactly behaves as a joystick:
https://www.megatron.de/en/products/fin ... odule.html
Well, it's intended for industrial application, so the plastic is a rugged material and doesn't look as polished, it lacks buttons (although it registers as Joystick with 2 buttons), and the mounting is different. Pricing for the stick alone is around what 3Dconnexion charges for the whole assembly.
SpaceMouseUSB.png
SpaceMouseUSB.png (12.59 KiB) Viewed 18338 times
Point being? It proves that for some reason 3Dconnexion sees a market as aniche industrial controller but not as a universal computer input device albeit being asked and bothered for a decade and beyond. Very strange.

Btw. I'm planing to hack the 2 trackpads of a steam controller on top of 2 of those things and find out to activate the 2 buttons.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I wish I could buy one of these industrial 3D mice for desktop/laptop use (with a good clamp)
https://www.3dconnexion.com/company/industrial.html

About 10 newtons force through 1.5 mm throw (one direction?)
About 0.171 newton-meters torque through 6deg twist (one direction?)

By comparison the SpaceNavigator is only 3.4 newtons force through 3 mm throw
(difficult to measure torque)

20 newtons would be even better with a proper grip! With very short throws your fingers wouldn't get tired.
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

I've got 2 o' them :P
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

@Hypersonic: and as you linked to the German site of 3Dconnexion: Megatron sits near Munich, they are very helpful and responsive, send the an inquiry or ring them up. Actually I am looking into a non-gaming purpose project and hence bought them through our company, but after all they have this iem to sell it.... ;)
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

It would be nice if one could program a key on a keyboard. If a game requires a joystick button to be pressed then just have an otherwise unused key on the keyboard be that joystick button. 3DConnexion has basically been making mini-keyboards with a 3DMouse attached, why not just go all the way?
https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=16683

Putting a steam controller trackpad on top would be interesting, probably fits almost perfectly on top of the puck.

So you had better luck going through Megatron to buy the industrial SpaceMouse rather than direct?
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

It seems my preferences simply picked the German subsite leading me to the possible erratic assumption you had linked this and are German.
Anyway, I am and I came across this through Megatron, so I fired up an inquiry and gave them a call one week later. Antoher week and I held the pieces in my hand.
It seems they have different partners depending on the preferred location - so you might have the same luck with their local partner in your territory.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

What a stroke of luck, when searching for a local distributor I stumbled across one that's just a 20 minute drive away! With any luck I'll have one by this weekend. If I do manage to get one I'll probably visit Home Depot buying some parts to clamp it down.
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

See... history DOES repeat :D That's exactly how it went with me....
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I hope so! As it has no buttons, is there an accessory to plug the USB cable into which does add buttons? Unfortunately some applications require at the very least button0 to be pressed to function at all (sometimes just to alert it of it's presence.) Is it possible to have a keyboard key or mouse button mapped as button0 for it by chance?
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I just got 4 modern 6DOF games (each of which has VR as an option) working with the most recent KMJ driver and Space Navigator.

Overload (from the creators of Descent 1&2)
Descent Underground (early access version, still in development)
Sub Level Zero (6DOF game with procedurally generated environments)
Everspace (a 6DOF space game where you can strafe just as fast as forward)

This makes me want to get a VR HMD to go with the Space Navigator! I'm sure other 3DMice would work as well, I'll also test it on a Space Explorer and Space Pilot Pro. These games also use updated input interface versions, so no hacks such as using a 2DMouse axis to fill in gaps like in Descent 1&2 (which did work hack free with the SpaceOrb which was designed with the older interface.)