Driver & SpaceMouse Enterprise (in Creo) suggestions

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Wreubzaet

Driver & SpaceMouse Enterprise (in Creo) suggestions

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello,

I justed wanted to add some ideas and suggestions for improvement when using the SpaceMouse Enterprise, which I'm mainly using in particular for Creo Parametric with the latest driver version 10.5.1, which has 8-section radial menus:

1) Custom mapkey icons are not displayed on the LCD display nor on the computer screen, only the default (smiley) icon. I really miss this functionality, since I have made many custom mapkey icons. A radial menu with all icons the same default mapkey icon is not easy to use.
Suggestion: Implement displaying of Creo mapkey icons.

2) With the new 8-section radial menus the issue with identical mapkey icons is even worse because the buttons don't have labels displayed.
Suggestion: Add a separate option to increase the size of the radial buttons and display the text when using 8-section radial menus. This gives users the choice whether or not to display labels at the cost of the size of the radial menu

3) There is little space for text in the radial menus and it's also dependent on the position in the radial menu.
Suggestion: Add an option to set the text size in the radial menus. For example large, normal, small, extra small. Similar to the option for the LCD display.

4) In the 3DxWare menu, when assigning commands to keys, tooltips are still often not shown when hovering over a command. The behaviour is very inconsistent. Usually only for a few commands tooltips are shown, but the commands vary each time a (sub)menu is opened and closed.
Suggestion: Fix this behaviour

5) In the radial menu editor: the name of the command assigned to each section of the radial does not fit with longer command descriptions, which makes it hard to see which command has been assigned. I know it's better to have short descriptions, but for some custom commands I'm using this is not well feasible.
Suggestion: Increase the size of the list of the textboxes that hold the assigned commands.

6) I updated the driver 10.4.10 to 10.5.1 yesterday and got an error message when trying to change my existing radial menus. So I made a backup of my configuration and did a clean reinstall of the driver and verified that editing the radial menus was now working. Then I copied back my config files but then got the same error again when trying to edit my radial menus...
So I just restored the default config and re-entered all my assigned commands and radial menus from scratch.
Suggestion 1: Fix the above mentioned issue.
Suggestion 2: Add an option to export and import settings directly from the driver. This makes it a lot easier to restore a configuration and also to transfer it to another computer without having to go through user's application data folder and copy paste. I can imagine that some users do not know how to do this or are not comfortable doing so, afraid of breaking things.

So what do you think about these suggestions?

Regards,

Wouter
christophe

Re: Driver & SpaceMouse Enterprise (in Creo) suggestions

Post by christophe »

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I reported the enhancement requests (1-3, 5 ) to product management team.

For item number 4, I tried to reproduce this problem, but for every command I can see a tool tip if the pointer hovers over the command name. If I hover it over the icon, then there's no tooltip. Can you confirm that behavior ?
Also, are there any commands where there are no tooltips at all ?

As for item number 6, I opened a ticket I will get in touche directly with you by email.

Best regards,

Christophe,
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello Christophe,

First of all thank you for reading and replying to my post!

With regards to item number 4 I can confirm that tool tips are only shown when hovering over the command name (not over the icon).
However when hovering over the command name the behaviour is inconsistent as described. I have made 2 screen recordings to show this. The first was made some time ago with an older driver version, the second one today with the latest driver:
https://reubzaet.home.xs4all.nl/3Dx/161 ... 0-4-xx.mp4
https://reubzaet.home.xs4all.nl/3Dx/170 ... _r2664.mp4
I do not know if perhaps for some commands a tool tip is never shown.
Anyway I hope this help to clarify the issue.
Also I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 7 x64 Professional.

Regarding item number 6 I will send you the files later today.

Best regards,

Wouter
christophe

Post by christophe »

Hi,

I have tried to reproduce this problem with both versions of the driver you were using. Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the same problem. We will still investigate this issue further and let you know should we find something.

As for item number 6, I will reply directly to the ticket I created.

Best regards,

Christophe.
christophe

Post by christophe »

I have checked this issue and was able to reproduce it. We are now tracking this problem with our internal bug number #7441. Our development team will fix this problem. When the fix is available I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Christophe,
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello Christophe,

Thank you very much for investigating the issues I described and the good support!

Best Regards,

Wouter
christophe

Post by christophe »

Hi,

I would like to inform you that a new version of our driver has been released, 10.5.2, bug #7441 has been fixed. You can download it here : https://www.3dconnexion.fr/service/drivers.html

Best regards,

Christophe,
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello Christophe,

I just updated the driver and can confirm that editing radial menus no longer gives an error message when switching between 4 and 8 items.
I also did a quick test of the import/export feature and did not encounter any issues.

So big thanks to you and your colleagues for the great support!

Best regards,

Wouter