<DONE> SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

necko77

Re: Working 64-bit version posted

Post by necko77 »

Omniflux wrote:Well, another user finally did what I haven't found time to do and finished updating the RBC9 driver for 64-bit versions of Windows.

You can download it from my website at http://www.omniflux.com/devel/#rbc9

If it works for you, please thank zebra78 for his great work, and if you can't get it to install, blame me for writing the bad INF file.

You should also thank RBC9, but where did he disappear to?

And remember, a vendor solution is coming!

Yes vendor is great LOL
They will probably finish it in 2014 year
So its perfect that we have you, and you did job, 5 years faster them them :)
REspect for all poeple envolved in this little project ! 8)
necko77

Re: Working 64-bit version posted

Post by necko77 »

Omniflux wrote:Well, another user finally did what I haven't found time to do and finished updating the RBC9 driver for 64-bit versions of Windows.

You can download it from my website at http://www.omniflux.com/devel/#rbc9

If it works for you, please thank zebra78 for his great work, and if you can't get it to install, blame me for writing the bad INF file.

You should also thank RBC9, but where did he disappear to?

And remember, a vendor solution is coming!

Yes vendor is great LOL
They will probably finish it in 2014 year
So its perfect that we have you, and you did job, 5 years faster them them :)
REspect for all poeple envolved in this little project ! 8)
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Well I'm very interested in buying a SpaceNavigator...but I'd like to make sure it works on my favorite game before dropping $100 in to it. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to see if it works on DXX-Rebirth for me?
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

One other question...does the zebra mod work on x86? Or should you just use the original for x86 and the mod for x64?
zebra78

Post by zebra78 »

I have not tried this at all with x86, but the .exe may very well work with it... all I can say is to try it out!

The driver (.sys) will not work in x86, so don't load that or the inf.

zebra78
Jonny Tenebrous

Descent

Post by Jonny Tenebrous »

A Future Pilot wrote:Well I'm very interested in buying a SpaceNavigator...but I'd like to make sure it works on my favorite game before dropping $100 in to it. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to see if it works on DXX-Rebirth for me?
Ah, you read my mind, and I'm already 4 days ahead of ya ;). Yes, I can safely vouch for the fact that the SpaceNavigator is, indeed, the best controller ever for Descent 1 and 2. Did "6 Degrees of Freedom" ever exist as a term before before those games, anyhow? So, while I haven't tried Rebirth exactly, I am using its bigger brother the D2X-XL sourceport with the RBC9 drivers in Windows 7 x64. I've set the SpaceNavigator to control forward, reverse, strafe sideways, and strafe up/down in the left hand while I use a 5-button mouse in the right hand to control pitch up/down, rotate, and the weapons. Sick. The ONLY thing I can imagine would make for the ultimate setup, in my personal opinion, would be adding a set of rudder pedals to the equation... in Descent I'd probably use those for forward/reverse instead of the tilt forward/back axis of the SpaceNavigator (which I've discovered I prefer to the sliding forward/back axis). Still, aside from being almost 15 years late to the game, I'm not really complaining.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

A Future Pilot wrote:Well I'm very interested in buying a SpaceNavigator...but I'd like to make sure it works on my favorite game before dropping $100 in to it. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to see if it works on DXX-Rebirth for me?
I tried DXX-Rebirth today. I bound all axis on my SpaceNavigator to joystick axis X,Y,Z and rX,rY,RZ. I pumped the deadzone in the RBC driver up to 100 for binding the axis to the DXX controls, but turned it down when playing. All axis worked except for rY (look up/down). Somehow it wouldn't recognize it as Joy1-A5. A1-A4 and A6 worked.

This axis works on all (modern) games I tried out, so I expect it to be a problem of DXX. I couln't find a way to edit a conf file to force it, so as far as I know, there isn't a workaround. Perhaps this could be brought to the attention of the developers ?
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

BTW, there might still be options to bind keys to the controls used in DXX. However, I prefer having analogue control. In D2X-XL, I couldn't get any of these axes working, probably because they only support the joysticks that were around originally when D2 was released.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

OK, scratch both of the above posts. Joystick binds ARE possible, for both DXX and D2X-XL, and both work perfectly. The trick is, the rY axis isn't usually configured in 6 axis joysticks, but the Slider axis is.

In the RBC9 tool, bind the axes in the following way:
Top row: X, Y and Z axes
Bottom row: rX, Slider, rZ

Now the axis can be bound in DXX from the config tool:
Pitch U/D: Joy1 A-5
Turn L/R: Joy1-A6

Slide L/R: Joy1 A-1
Slide U/D: Joy1 A-3

Bank: Joy1 A-4
Throttle: Joy1 A-2

In DX2-HD you can bind all axis, but have to do it in the \profiles\default.plx file.
Because axis in the profile start from 0 instead of 1, here's the accompanying config lines:

joystick.Pitch U/D[1].value=4
joystick.Turn L/R[1].value=5
joystick.Slide L/R[1].value=0
joystick.Slide U/D[1].value=2
joystick.Bank L/R[1].value=3
joystick.throttle[1].value=1

Sorry about the previous confusion, but I wasn't really at home with current day Descent port configs and such.
balieu

RBC9 Tool - SpaceExplorer - profiles

Post by balieu »

Hi all

I have been monitoring this thread for some years now, and finally installed the 64bit version of RBC9.

It works with my SpaceExplorer, thanks to all of you, well at least it moves the mouse up and down when I tilt the knob, which I presume is what the default driver is configured to do.

Since I am using the driver with a SpaceExplorer, it seems that I can't change it's profile with the RBC9 tool.

Could you tell me where the default profile is located, and whether it's possible to edit it by hand (is the profile binary) ?

And if not, is the source for the tool available? Since 4 devices are supported, it should be possible to add a 5.

If I have missed some earlier reply, please just say so, and I will move through it all again.

Michael
YBW

Working with the x64 RBC9 Tool

Post by YBW »

Greeting's all,

In the past I used the Office plug-in to let me work in unsupported programs. It didn't do all that I wanted, but it was enough.

Now I'm on a Win7 x64 box and need something outside of SolidWorks. I download the RBC9 Tool from Omni Flux but it doesn't appear to support the SpacePilot Pro. Am I missing something?

If the pro is supported, can someone direct me to instructions for setting up the Tool?

Thanks.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

I (tried) to explain the setup steps for the SpaceNavigator in this post

The Spacepilot Pro might have a different ID than USB\VID_046D&PID_C626, but probably still is in the C62x range.

However, it is not included in the inf file. I don't know if you can force the normal SpacePilot drivers to load for it, but if you can't, you might have to hack the .inf file to include the identifier for the pro.

I don't know if that would even work theoretically, but I would give it a try. Try to find out the identifier in the USB devices properties, and add something like the following:

Underneath the line:
%RBC9_TRA.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C623 ; SpaceTraveler
something like
%RBC9_PRO.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C62X ; SpaceTraveler
(where X is the ID for the SpacePilot Pro)

and underneath line:
RBC9_BAL.DeviceDesc="RBC9 SpaceBall64 MouJoyKey v2"
add
RBC9_PIL.DeviceDesc="RBC9 SpacePilotPro64 MouJoyKey v2"

Then save the inf file, and do all the steps in my post to get it to load the driver.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

-1 for not not being able to edit posts, should be

Underneath the line:
%RBC9_TRA.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C623 ; SpaceTraveler
something like
%RBC9_PRO.DeviceDesc% =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C62X ; SpacePilotPro
(where X makes it a valid ID for the SpacePilot Pro)

and underneath line:
RBC9_BAL.DeviceDesc="RBC9 SpaceBall64 MouJoyKey v2"
add
RBC9_PRO.DeviceDesc="RBC9 SpacePilotPro64 MouJoyKey v2"

Drop me a PM if it doesn't work, we might be able to work it out using other comms.
friskus

Post by friskus »

I work at a construction company, and we use a 3D software called PDMS.
This software does not support SpaceNavigator, and thats a pain in the ass. All of our workers wants to use it, but its not possible.

I found this forum and installed the RBC9 yesterday but got problems with the software crashing when i try to press the icon down in the corner. This happened after I played around with the mx1000 edit layout. (Did not know what i was doing). Software worked before that.
Tried removing driver, uninstall device, delete all traces. restart. Installed everything again but still the same crash.
After i installed the original file from 2007 it works.

The only problem is that I cant program keys.
I tried programming it to do both mouse and keyboard commands, but it just doesn't work. What to do?

To navigate in PDMS you have to press and hold down middle mouse-button and drag up/down to rotate around x-axe.
Release middle mouse button and then press & hold the middle mouse button and move left or right to rotate around y-axis.
What is the smartest layout I could make to navigate easy?
YBW

Post by YBW »

Hi Phaedron,

Thanks for the instructions. I've followed them with several variations but to no avail.

If I use the driver and inf unaltered the yellow triangle never goes away. If I make the mods to the inf that you suggest the Update Driver Software utility fails.

I can send you screen shots but I don't think we're going to get there.

If someone creates an RBC9 mod with Pro support please post a reply on this thread and I will get an email.

Thanks again for trying,
YBW