<DONE> SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

FryingBullet

Thanks for saving me a load of cash

Post by FryingBullet »

Thanks folks - I have used space mice over the years at work and have been very impressed - and with the Space Navigator for Notebooks I was so very tempted to splash out on one for my home gaming and other bits and bobs.

But this thread has convinced me to hang on to my cash for just a little bit longer. Who knows, 3dConnexion might eventually pull their finger out of their bottom (or Ligitech might give them a helping hand) and, heaven forbid, we might end up with a product that integrates fully with Windows and has real mass appeal.

Wake me up if it ever happens - cause I would be genuinely interested.

FryingBullet.
Aceanuu

Post by Aceanuu »

I just upgraded my PC (rebuilt a new one) and its 64 bit... and I can't live without my RBC9... *sniff*

Well anyways, I installed a custom xbox usb controller mod for 64 bit, and it works fine... So here's the exact procedure it told me to use to get it to work, copied right out of the readme.
Windows Vista x64 requires that every system driver be digitally signed.
That itself isn't that big of a deal, but Microsoft also requires kernel
mode drivers be digitally signed by a select few companies. Because of
this, normal folks like us don't have the ability to pay hundreds of dollars
a year for a kernel-mode code signing digital certificate. However, there
is good news; there is a way to disable the signed-driver check.

----------------------------
Installation Instructions:
----------------------------
You first need to open a Command Prompt window in Administrator mode.

1) Click Start, All Programs, Accessories.
2) Right click on the Command Prompt program and choose "Run as administrator".

Next, you need to alter the Boot Configuration Data store to disable signed
driver checks.

1) Type the following into the command prompt EXACTLY (yes, that is two D's)
bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Reboot your computer. You can now follow the standard procedure to install
the XBCD360 drivers.

1) Put xbcd.sys into:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

2) Put xbcd.inf into:
C:\Windows\Inf

3) Start the Device Manager, right click the XBox360 controller, and choose
Update Software Driver

4) Browse for the driver manually, then say that you want to choose from a list.

5) Pick the XBCD360 driver. It should be at the very bottom of the list.
So can't something like this work?
bjevers

Post by bjevers »

Yes that would work. This is the method used to install a user made driver for the Ergodex DX1 pad that I have also. However, the driver needs to be compiled for 64bit. We can't use it as it is now. Maybe RBC9 could compile a 64bit version, or release the source so someone else could?
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

bjevers wrote:Yes that would work. This is the method used to install a user made driver for the Ergodex DX1 pad that I have also. However, the driver needs to be compiled for 64bit. We can't use it as it is now. Maybe RBC9 could compile a 64bit version, or release the source so someone else could?
He has already released the source, I think on Page 17, but I have not been able to even compile it and set breakpoints... And from the sound of it even if I do, it's not as simple as recompile "release" remember checkbox 64bit...
HoP

Post by HoP »

First, thanks for writing this, it's something I wanted YEARS ago!

Now, for the obligatory support request :)

Using a SN on XP Pro SP3
I installed everything, and it looked fine. Opening the application made the LED on the SN blink, the values moved around, etc. After hitting 'Calibrate' a couple times, it now no longer accepts input at all.
I imported the standard 'Windows Desktop' and 'Standard Joystick' binds, etc. When I unplug the SN, RBC9 says "! Device Removed !", and then "! Wait for SpaceNavigator !". When plugging it back in it says '!Hardcoded Layout !", so it sees the device, etc.

I try the 'Windows Desktop' and there is no mouse movement, and when I try any setting, and open the 'SpaceNavigator' in 'Game Controllers'. Status is 'OK', but 'Display Raw Data' always shows 360.

Any ideas? It's such a tease, being so close to something I wanted for years and not being able to get it to work now :)
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

Uh, there is no support for this, and the author has no time to continue to further this, I'm deperately trying to get this to work on my Space Pilot.

Because it would make navigating all my 3D Apps from game Engines for Development, to 3D Set Design for Previs go faster better easier... especially having a consistent control scheme across all apps...

But, unless someone else (you) wants to pickup the ball and run with it this is abandon ware.... and I'm gonna be lucky to get this thing compiled and figure out what's with this Hardware Error 10, for Pace Pilot users... adding features, and or Fixing bugs is low on my priority list at the moment...
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

Finally Yesterday I got the source to compile, but due to my inexperience in driver compiling I cannot figure out how to set breakpoints, and take a look at what it is failing on, since it's during the installation of the driver that it fails. I've Run "Verifier" on it, and sure enough when it reboots I get BSD and a memory dump, but even if I could find the file where it dumped to, I'd have a hard time figuring out what it crashed on.

Anybody who needs help compiling this, look at the Windows Driver Development Kit, WDK, and then there's a batch file WDDKBuild.cmd or something that it uses to build the driver .sys. Once you set some Environment variables and get WDDKBuild to run, it will compile fine.

I'm such a NOOB at driver development, I might have to go back to some examples to figure out how to code a "Hello World" Driver, and then move back onto this. I have a strange feeling that the LCD on the Pilot is what's causing the failure, but that's just a guess due to that none of the others that work have the same error / failure.
Jafet

Amazing JOB!!!

Post by Jafet »

RPC9 and FRIENDS,
Thx for this driver. Looks amazing. I'd like to download it.
Can anyone post the actual driver version link to download?
Thx again,
Jafet
Dwabble

@DCrosby

Post by Dwabble »

I would obviously also be happy with a 64-bit version of RBC9's driver, but there is an alternative to coding a driver.
The 3dconnexion driver comes with and installs a dll called siappdll.dll that can be used to access the driver, there is extensive documentation of its functions in the pdf on 3dconnexion's site so all you need is to write an application to access. (Search for 'Five Basic Functions' in the pdf)

One road to go is to use autohotkey (www.autohotkey.com), autohotkey is a key/mouse/joystick intercept/modify/response scripting language which has grown in scope over time and it's very handy, and free, and compact, and it has lots of enthusiast support and immense functionality, amongst which is the ability to access dll's.
It can't directly see the SpaceNavigator but someone released a HID reading dll (http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic6367.html) which actually can also see the SpaceNavigator, although perhaps using the dll provided by 3dconnexion might be better? Anyway autohotkey also works on 64bit XP (and probably vista).

But someone with coding experience could also just write a small mouse and maybe even joy emulator using the 3dconnexion dll I guess.
Hope someone can do something with this if converting the RBC9 driver to 64bit doesn't go well.
Dwabble

Re: Amazing JOB!!!

Post by Dwabble »

Jafet wrote:RPC9 and FRIENDS,
Thx again,
Jafet
It's clearly visible on the bottom of the first post in this thread 'download here' it says, and yes the link is functioning.
Jafet

Post by Jafet »

Dwabble wrote:
Jafet wrote:RPC9 and FRIENDS,
Thx again,
Jafet
It's clearly visible on the bottom of the first post in this thread 'download here' it says, and yes the link is functioning.
Yes, it worked fine today... I think it was a server problem that day..
The download link is funcional!!!
About the .BIND files, where is it placed? How I backup my configurations? I could't found my...
Tks.
Dwabble

Post by Dwabble »

Jafet wrote: About the .BIND files, where is it placed? How I backup my configurations? I could't found my...
Tks.
Rightclick on the area that says 'layout' then do an 'add' to get a new one then rightclick on that highligthed layout you made and select 'import binds' then a file requester pops up and you load the .bind file you want into that layout.
You can rename the layout by clicking on the default name and then typing a new name.
Dwabble

Post by Dwabble »

Saving goes automatic (saves in the windows registry) when you edit and do an apply or you can rightclick on a layout and select 'export binds' of course to store the layout to a file and perhaps share it.
Jafet

Post by Jafet »

Tks.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

after several hours of scouring forums, faqs, and attempting auto hotkey (with the hid reading dll). i eventually moved over to glovePIE with similar results (input cycle does not terminate unless interrupted by another device). failure only to be lead in a big circle through forums followed by more failure. I would be ecstatic if the RBC9 driver were able to work with a 64-bit os, but as this is not the case i am about ready to give up on this endeavor.

I have a feeling i am in the same boat as many of you. i love my space pilot for what i'm able to use it with (photoshop/max) but would love to be able to use it as a universal controller even more. so i sit here twiddling my thumbs staring at the sexiest paper weight i've ever owned, which just so happens to serve an alternate function in two programs i use.

now, if this piece of hardware were specifically designed for a single program, but the same company that manufactured the program i could understand the current situation. however, this device takes over already existing controls that were previously mapped to the keyboard/mouse. so collectively we all bang our heads against our desks. most of us powerless when it comes to driver programming being from the design community.

at this point i'd like to know if anyone running a 64-bit os has had any success getting input emulation to work properly. i would really appreciate some help here; there are a few people i'm trying to convince that the space pilot is worth a purchase, but so far all of them have come back saying that the amount of supported programs doesn't justify the cost.

to those at 3d connexion: do you realize how much of the market opens if you just code an emulation option into your driver? from what it seems like the ultimate goal would be to get a company such as microsoft to support a device like this as a form of navigation (basing this off of the decision to sign the driver as a 3d mouse). an intention that i would fully back, however, the logic behind it seems a little backward to me. an emulation option would allow the market to see how amazing this device is utilizing what is already coded into the os, and imagine the possibilities if an os were to be programmed specifically for a device like this. no hardware company wants their hardware to go unsupported, but you have to meet your market half way, before many of them will sign on you have to get their attention so that new possibilities will become apparent to them, and they can feel secure in regards to their financial success due to the market exposure.