<DONE> SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

CatPunk

Post by CatPunk »

Can you send me a screenshot of your game device controller window? I have no idea what is going on...
of course!

I reinstalled the RBC9 Driver, rebooted with F8 and everything worked fine except the changes of Layouts as Crow allready mentioned. There was even a new gamedevice created, different to the one i got on the screensjhot, this time the movements are stopped and leveled to "zero" when i stop moving the device.

Asking Google for the signing problem of the driver (F8 sucks sooo much everytime i reboo) i've found the following:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/162117

perhaps someone could sign the driver with these tools?

Perhaps the assignment of changes to the Layouts depends on the non-signed driver, too. In another forum someone mentioned that the F8-boot-function is some kind of developement-feature for vista. Could it be possible that this mode doesn't allow "live"-changes to drivers? I'm just guessing.... :wink:
Crow

Post by Crow »

CatPunk wrote: Perhaps the assignment of changes to the Layouts depends on the non-signed driver, too. In another forum someone mentioned that the F8-boot-function is some kind of developement-feature for vista. Could it be possible that this mode doesn't allow "live"-changes to drivers? I'm just guessing.... :wink:
I don't think it's going to be that easy as it's the same in Win XP 64bit (at least for me) and there isn't a forced driver signation in that system. So it's probably a problem of the interaction between driver and configuration tool.

The link to manually add driver signature is still great, because running Windows Vista or 7 (which is basicly a further developed Vista) in non signature mode on the long run isn't a very convenient and save thing.
bjevers

Post by bjevers »

CatPunk wrote:Asking Google for the signing problem of the driver (F8 sucks sooo much everytime i reboo)
Check this post on how to disable it without hitting F8 every time: viewtopic.php?p=11956#11956

I've had driver signing disabled on my Vista x64 since I installed it for a driver for my Ergodex DX1. Only side effect is the "Test Mode" watermark in all four corners of the desktop.
azraphale

REWARD!

Post by azraphale »

I'm going to ante up for the development of a stable, solid x64 driver with the features and capabilities of the 32-bit RBC driver.

First person to make it workable, stable (non-beta, ready for full release), and have 10 x64 users in this forum run it as their primary pointer device in Windows without blue screens, freezes, or other major failures for at least one week will get $100, PayPalled from me personally.

I challenge other x64-based SpaceNavigator owners to add to the pot. Cash is the ultimate incentive for getting people to do mind-numbing work like programming. :)
Omniflux

Re: REWARD!

Post by Omniflux »

azraphale wrote:Cash is the ultimate incentive for getting people to do mind-numbing work like programming. :)
azraphale in another thread wrote:Well, I would imagine that a programmer would tackle a task like this for one of several reasons; 1) personal challenge, 2) looks good on the résumé if you're just starting out, 3) they own a SpaceNavigator and want the functionality themselves and don't mind heling out the rest of us who see the potential of a 6-axis controller that could become the "new mouse" or something to that effect.
Like RBC9, I'm here for reason 3...and whether or not donations will be forthcoming, I still want a "stable, solid x64 driver" "without blue screens, freezes, or other major failures".

I just wish I had more time to work on it.
azraphale wrote:First person to make it workable, stable (non-beta, ready for full release), and have 10 x64 users in this forum run it as their primary pointer device in Windows without blue screens, freezes, or other major failures for at least one week will get $100, PayPalled from me personally.
Well, if it turns out to be the driver I'm working on, you'll have to track down RBC9. I won't take the credit for a few minor tweaks to get it to compile for x64.

Although, once I learn more about drivers, maybe I'll go back to reason 1, and write a driver from scratch. I'd certainly learn a lot...that I'd probably never again need to know. :)

--
Omni Flux
CatPunk

Post by CatPunk »

Check this post on how to disable it without hitting F8 every time: viewtopic.php?p=11956#11956
yeah funny thiong with that. I now have my "testmode" signings in the corners of my screen but still the driver is not accepted by my system, announcing the same Error Code (39) as it did before. That's really confusing since it seems to work wirh your systems.... :?:
Crow

Post by Crow »

CatPunk wrote:
yeah funny thiong with that. I now have my "testmode" signings in the corners of my screen but still the driver is not accepted by my system, announcing the same Error Code (39) as it did before. That's really confusing since it seems to work wirh your systems.... :?:
Well, I wouldn't recommend running vista in testmode all the time anyway as it disables some security features for the system core.
There are however other workarounds. There is a program that disables the forced driver signature at every startup for example. It is like a boot preloader run of a usb pendrive.
bjevers

Post by bjevers »

CatPunk wrote:yeah funny thiong with that. I now have my "testmode" signings in the corners of my screen but still the driver is not accepted by my system, announcing the same Error Code (39) as it did before. That's really confusing since it seems to work wirh your systems.... :?:
My mistake, I thought those were the same steps I used, but they aren't. Here are the correct steps.

Enable the Kernel-Mode Test-Signing Boot Configuration Option
Find the Command Prompt shortcut in your start menu
Right-click it and choose "Run As..."
Select the Administrator account
At the prompt run Code:
bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

Reboot - you should then see "Test Mode" displayed in the four corners of your desktop

Install the driver
Anumunrama

Post by Anumunrama »

Hello,

this may help you
http://www.deinmeister.de/spmcur.htm

I hope that the x64 drivers works soon

(sorry for my englisch but i am German :P )
jojo

Post by jojo »

great program!!

anyways, if you are working on a update for it, would you make "turn on/off" the LED's in the navigator as a bindable option?

i could use that when im just using windows, and it's sitting on my desk, i want the lights to be turned on and off by rotating the mouse along the Y axis
Anumunrama

Post by Anumunrama »

My English is too bad vor you so I use google ^^

Original (in german):

Ich fand das Programm als ich wegen eines anderen Programms in Foren wühlte.
Das heist, ich habe keinen Einfluss auf das Programm, aber eventuel könnt ihr mit dem Autor Kontakt aufnehmen.

Google translation:

I found the program as I am because of another program in forums dug.
The means, I have no influence on the program, but might you can with the author in touch.

I hope he can help you to fix the problems in x64

Anumunrama
Lycwolf

Post by Lycwolf »

A native Vista x64 driver would be great....

So, should I give up my hopes of ever getting one?

My post about why i want to use this device... viewtopic.php?p=13666#13666
p1p3

Post by p1p3 »

Hi everyone, looks like great work you all have done.
Unfortunately I haven't yet tried it as my SpaceNavigator is yet to arrive.

I have however downloaded and compiled the source code from RBC9 and everything seams to work. I'm not a very good c++ programmer but I'm gonna take a look at the driver code and see if I can make any sense of it. I have done mostly c# programming for Windows CE but c# is c#. I also have some programming experience using external DLLs written in c in c# and some basic USB access from inside c#.
I would like to help any way I can and just hope my SN arrives tomorrow.

I was also thinking it would be good if we could have the code under some form of source control. I personally use SVN both at home and work.
I'm gonna try putting up on my server but i would be better if it could be hosted on a site like SourceForge. There is however a question about the license then. It would be great if RBC9 could give some input about what license that should be used or if there is no license at all.

Again, great work to every one who has contributed both as programmers and testers. This project was what made me order my SN.
I'm amazed that 3dconnexion doesn't provide a driver for this...
invisiblefly

Re: REWARD!

Post by invisiblefly »

azraphale wrote:I'm going to ante up for the development of a stable, solid x64 driver with the features and capabilities of the 32-bit RBC driver.

First person to make it workable, stable (non-beta, ready for full release), and have 10 x64 users in this forum run it as their primary pointer device in Windows without blue screens, freezes, or other major failures for at least one week will get $100, PayPalled from me personally.

I challenge other x64-based SpaceNavigator owners to add to the pot. Cash is the ultimate incentive for getting people to do mind-numbing work like programming. :)
+1

I'm up to it.
i'll add more on top of that.
bailsone

What a shame for logitech

Post by bailsone »

oh man you are great. ever thought on a driver like that. read further posts of you i think. but there the driver hasnt reached this quality yet.
i think its a blame for logitech that they need gurus like you in there forums to give good support on their products " do you work for them now ??? " i think they completly fail there mission. Anyway you did a great job THX a lot.