Open Beta drivers

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

the_kdoggy

Open Beta drivers

Post by the_kdoggy »

Can I make a formal request for 3dConnexion to open their beta drivers for public testing?
We all know that beta software carries significant risks, especially at the driver level.
But with the way that 3DConnexion bundles everything in a driver release instead of "plugins" for each software package, some people are left waiting way too long for certain software package support.

So my request is two-fold.
1. Make driver and software integration independent of each other
2. Make early beta access for software package integration available to anyone who desires it and is willing to take the associated risks.

I'm not a developer, so I'm sure it's a complicated issue, and may require a ground-up rewrite, but making everything tied to one version number to me is making the dev team an automatic bullseye target for complaints.

Thoughts?
Kevin
Climberfx

Re: Open Beta drivers

Post by Climberfx »

Agree a 100%. The drivers for Maya should work for at least 5 versions without the need for a new one each single update! Even on Maya extensions and updates for the same year release are braking Spacemouse drivers.
If it's not possible, so open the drivers on github than some other can help with it, and por it to other programs.
The other way to handle this is to yo guys directly communicate with Autodesk to have your drivers implemented in application, so every change they made, would come with Maya application.
Please talk each other! And solve this. 3D mouse should have implemented inside OS X, like mouse drivers are! Plug and Play!
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

Thumbs up for this one!
Boban

Post by Boban »

This is what I get today from technical support:
Hi Boban
thank you for contacting the 3Dconnexion Support.

10.5.0 is not working with Maya 2018. We going to release a new version very soon (10.5.1) which also enables support for Maya 2018. During the verification of our latest driver we were working with the prerelease version of Maya 2018. Seems to be that Autodesk made bigger changes regarding the integration which caused the 3Dmouse not to work with the official release.
We are sorry for the trouble you had so far.
There is no official release date for available yet for 10.5.1. We expect that we ca release the driver during this week.

Best regards,
Oliver