SpaceNavigator swap tilt with rotate

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

f3lsworn

SpaceNavigator swap tilt with rotate

Post by f3lsworn »

My new SpaceNavigator seems to mess up some axis in Inventor 2017. When I tilt the knob sideways it rotates my model. When I rotate the knob it tilts the model. Suffice it to say it's VERY annoying and counter intuitive, how do get the knob's sideway tilt to tilt the model sideways etc? Thanks in advance.
f3lsworn

Re: SpaceNavigator swap tilt with rotate

Post by f3lsworn »

*Inventor 2016*
f3lsworn

Post by f3lsworn »

Update:
Setting it back to Default (Zoom Direction = Forward/Backward) seems to solve the problem, however when I set the Zoom Direction to Up/Down it will swap the Tilt and Rotate axis again.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi f3lsworn,

Try this: start Inventor and open "3Dconnexion Properties" . In the "Advanced Setting" panel, switch the "Zoom Direction" to "Up / Down" (which seems to be your preference). Setting the zoom to "up/down", swaps two axis affecting both translation and rotation (this setting is indicated when the display is parallel to the desk, instead of almost 90deg. as usual).

When the option is changed, the driver will create the file Inventor.xml in %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg. Open this file in a text editor (like Notepad) and find the device section for the "Standard 3D Mouse". You will see the two swapped axis Y and Z in the corresponding <Axis> element. If you wish to restore the rotation but keep the modified zoom direction, change the "Ry" and "Rz" axes to match "Rx" (make sure you also change the <Reversed> element back to false). After you save the file, the driver will take the new setting and you should see an immediate effect in Inventor.

Play a bit with this parameter. It is safe to delete the file if you want to restore the defaults.

If you wish to make this change apply to all applications, you should be able to edit the Base.xml file in the "%ProgramFiles%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\Cfg" directory. If you edit any file in this location, make sure you stop the driver first and make a copy. These are the default files and the only way to restore them is to "repair" or reinstall 3DxWare 10.
f3lsworn

Post by f3lsworn »

Many many thanks! This worked like a charm for me.
mboehm7604

Post by mboehm7604 »

Hi f3lsworn or ngomes,

Can either of you post the code text used to achieve this? I am trying to do the same thing as f3lsworn, however cannot seem to get the text correct to achieve this.

Thanks,