CATIA V5 automatically changing function key assignments

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

elvisjohndowson

CATIA V5 automatically changing function key assignments

Post by elvisjohndowson »

Is it possible to automatically change the function key assignments to the SpacePilot Pro, when using it with CATIA V5?

For example, of I am in the part design workbench, and assign key 1 to positioned sketch. If I press key 1, and go to positioned sketch, in the sketcher mode, key 1 becomes unavailable. It would have been good if I can assign key 1 in sketcher mode, to say the profile key, and upon exiting the sketcher, key 1 assignment automatically goes back to positioned sketch.

Is this possible? The ads on the website indicated that it could do so.
UtaSH

Re: CATIA V5 automatically changing function key assignments

Post by UtaSH »

Hi elvisjohndowson,

the driver can not determine and doesn't get any notification in which mode you are (part design, sketch, ...). Thus it can not adapt the button mapping to the correct mode. You can manually switch from one configuration to the next one. Or you can assign this to a button (3Dx - Next Configuration).
elvisjohndowson

Hi Ludwig,
In CATIA V5 R18, there are only 15 buttons available for customization, whereas in R19, all the buttons are available for customization and are correctly named.

Is there anyway to expose additional buttons in R18? R19 has some issues with respect to file formats and working with other third party tools, so R18 is the one that we need to use.

At the moment, in R18,

button 1 > Menu of SpacePilot Pro
button 13 > key 1
button 14 > key 2
button 15 > key 3

and that's it, I can't access the remaining keys from 4 to 10. Is there a patch of a fix that you have for this, so that I can fully use all the function keys?
elvisjohndowson

Another quick question, if you have both R18 and R19 installed, does the SpacePilot installation automatically choose the latest release and install some drivers or settings for R19 straightaway?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

elvisjohndowson wrote: In CATIA V5 R18, there are only 15 buttons available for customization, whereas in R19, all the buttons are available for customization and are correctly named.

Is there anyway to expose additional buttons in R18? R19 has some issues with respect to file formats and working with other third party tools, so R18 is the one that we need to use.
Hi elvisjohndowson,

Catia V5R19 SP4 is the first version to fully support the SpacePilot PRO. See here. We are not aware of a way to "expose" the missing buttons in R18.
elvisjohndowson wrote:Another quick question, if you have both R18 and R19 installed, does the SpacePilot installation automatically choose the latest release and install some drivers or settings for R19 straightaway?
The driver does not check which release you are using. All available configuration files are installed.