Shattered Horizon Potential liftoff for the Space Navigator?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jojo

Shattered Horizon Potential liftoff for the Space Navigator?

Post by jojo »

Recently FutureMark made their first game,
its a fps shooter set in the vacuum of space!

You fly a space suit through the remains of space stations like the ISS,
or astroid belts, and shoot the other team ofc ;)

The reason im actually posting this here is that this game would just be
perfectly suited to use with the SpaceNavigator as it would provide full control of every motion going on in the zero gravity enviroment.

The only problem is ofcourse that since it's FutureMark's first game and it has just released, the game doesn't natively support it (yet),
and it doesn't support any analog controls either.
(so rigging it up to the 3rd party driver is out of the question)
Also i noticed that future mark is very engaging with the community, responding a lot in the forums, and actually taking good user suggestions seriously.

Still i can imagine this game being a great killer-app to get the 3DSpaceNavigator (personal edition) to the more mainstream audience.
So, if you(3Dconnexion) would like it, i'd suggest you take a look at FutureMark and their game. And maybe contact them about those opportunities and possibilities.
Maybe it can become something awesome and a great way to show the level of control the SpaceNavigator... in space! 8)

p.s.

i also found out they have atleast one SpaceNavigator at their studio :wink:
jojo

Post by jojo »

btw here is some footage from the game:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/raid- ... izon/57738

(i guess using a space navigator on this game beats flying around in Google Earth)
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yes. very cool game. How do you move around in it? Arrow keys? Mouse? Is there a demo available for download?

Is it multi-player with all those other guys being controlled by someone else?
jojo

Post by jojo »

Currently it has WASD for horisontal movement, Space and Ctrl for vertical movement, C for boost, Mouse X/Y for yaw/pitch (like normal fps aiming) and dragging with Rmouse to roll.

And its all player controlled, no AI's bouncing around.

The main problem right now would be the fact that all controls (exept the mouse ones) are digital, so no analog input yet (else i would be able to use the 3rd party driver already)

The game can be bought on steam for 20$/€ so its fairly cheap aswell.
no demo though.

what i imagine with the 3Dnavigator is controlling it similar to 3dsmax,
doing yaw/pitch/roll/movement of the suit with the left hand 3D controller,
and using the mouse for precise aiming and firing with right hand.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yes, that is crying for a decent 6DOF controller. We did support for a similar game called Descent many years ago. I'll have to check my hardware to see if I can run it (needs DX10).
jojo

Post by jojo »

If you have Nvidia, then anything thats a 8600 or better should do the trick.
i got a 8800GTX and it runs smoothly.

If i may ask, are you a developer of the devices/software as well?
:D
jwick

Post by jwick »

Unfortunately, my card is only good for DX9. I may have to upgrade.
All 3Dx software developers follow this forum regularly. I am one of them.
jojo

Post by jojo »

thats awesome, i hope you will get to look at it sooner or later,
also, if you want to try it out, i could give you a guest pass (giving you a few days of the game for free),
though its only worth it if you can run the game ofcourse.
the pass i have expires at 16-12 after that it expires, and after that i wont have a pass to give to you.
jojo

Post by jojo »

p.s.
after activating the pass you will have 3 days to try out the game, then it locks up again
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

jwick wrote:Yes, that is crying for a decent 6DOF controller. We did support for a similar game called Descent many years ago.
Decent was 15 years ago, guys.. So that must have been with the SpaceOrb 360 ? The thing that failed because DOS didn't have a generic multi-axes driver model ? So every game needed to be hacked to get Orb support ?

Well, we're fifteen years ahead in the future, and there IS a generic HID driver definition. If only we could use it, we could have played hundreds of cool games with this controller.

However, we're still back in 1995 because 3Dconnexion's mindset hasn't really gone forward since that time. We still need to convict ONE game developer out of HUNDREDS to use your controller, while ONE change in YOUR driver could have accomplished just as much.
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

Ha! Second that!
So well said and so often requested...

Phadron: there has been a Logitech controller called the Cyberman II, which apparently uses the very same technology as the contemporary controllers. It had a game port and worked brilliant on from Descent II upwards (Also in Descent I when run as 3d accelerated under Windows with patch 1.4 ) That's actually how I got hooked up woth 3Dconnexion, since the Cyberman II acted as a standard 6 axis Joystick and allowed all what we desperately miss with the Space Controllers I had no clue how they could drop the ball so badly.

It's "fun" how "All 3Dfx software developers follow this forum regulary" and not a single one have seemed to get this point, or, if that should be the unfortunate truth, is legitimated enough to say at least "Sorry, some internal policy does not allow for that!"

Until then we all will be doomed ,while blessed to be able, to use the inofficial [/urlhttp://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336]RBC9/OmniFlux driver[/url]...[/url]
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

I asume I am too stupid to find the "Edit" button, am I?
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

No, there is none -it says "I cannot edit my posts in this forum" - is that a default?[/b]