3DConnexion and audio apps

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

WindowsNT

3DConnexion and audio apps

Post by WindowsNT »

Hello there.

I am happy to announce that a) All tests under Windows 7 (x64/x86) are successful and

b) it is the first time (as far as I know) that we are using a 3DConnexion device in audio applications. Here in the University of Athens we are creating audio applications that, along with many other things, are using 3d space for advanced pan moving and accoustic/reverb designer in a room based on its 3D items and characteristics. 3DConnexion devices work perfectly.

I am looking forward for 3DConnexion stuff to begin certifying audio applications.

Best Regards,
Michael
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear WindowsNT,

What are the audio applications thay you have been successful in including input from our devices in their user interface? Which versions have you been successful with?

Sincerely,
Bryan G.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
WindowsNT

Post by WindowsNT »

I have used latest drivers 3.7.18 under Windows XP x86 and x64 and Windows 7 x86 and x64. Everything 's working fine.

The one application I am doing is a generic-usage recording/processing/playing sequencer. This application has introduced 3D panning (when the sound speaker setup is a set of, say, 5.1 or 7.1 speakers inside the room) and the 3D mouse is used to move the pan while playing to adjust the volume between the speakers in the room.

The other application I am doing is an experimental tool that allows you to draw models inside a virtual 3D room (and the 3D mouse is used to move/rotate/place these models) and specify their sound characteristics, in order to estimate the appropriate reverb effects that should be applied for optimal sound quality for live or playback.

Links following soon.

Best Regards,
Michael
WindowsNT

Post by WindowsNT »

By the way, the driver for 3D mouse is also working as a joystick driver with 6 axes.
Bryan

Successful Solution to a Difficult Audio Problem

Post by Bryan »

Dear WindowsNT,

It's gratifying to hear that you have been so successful in applying input from our devices into the user interface of your application. Please do keep us informed and up to date. It sounds like a wonderful application of our device to provide a special solution to a difficult problem.

Sincerely,
Bryan ; ^ >
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
muddiman

The driver for 3D mouse

Post by muddiman »

WindowsNT what 3D 64x bit mouse driver are you using that works as a joystick driver.

Don
WindowsNT

Post by WindowsNT »

muddiman: Space Navigator x64 Windows 7.

Bryan: Well I have decided that 3D isn't only applicable to modelling applications. I am trying to apply it a) to GPS applications which use 3D maps b) To drawing applications that can draw 3d plots c) To specific games that can benefit from such a controller which is *not* a joystick, like the excellent Scorched Earth 3D and finally (and most important for me), to audio applications that can be configured with "virtual rooms" , that is, to design a room that has some items in in in specific positions (like speakers) and the application to detect and/or apply possible audio effects (panning, reverb, delay, compression etc) based on the design of the room.

Whether that approach will be successful or not I am not sure because in theory, many technologies can improve the quality of the software, but in practise too many users stick to the "defaults" and are afraid to use a different interface.

Turbo Play, my application that uses some of these techniques is currently at alpha stage. I promise to make a beta version available to all 3DConnexion people when I am ready - so you can see if 3D navigation actually improves the features or not.

[/url]
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

WindowsNT wrote:By the way, the driver for 3D mouse is also working as a joystick driver with 6 axes.....muddiman: Space Navigator x64 Windows 7.
Do you actually mean that using the latest official release (3DxSoftware_v3-7-18.exeas of 08/07/2009) you can see the Space navigator in the game controller panel and use it as a generic joystick???
WindowsNT

Post by WindowsNT »

No, the joystick is not visible in the game control panel, but it is visible as a DirectInput device.