Installation instructions missing from the drivers file

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

acd

Installation instructions missing from the drivers file

Post by acd »

Hi,

I just re-installed the new version of 3dxware, and every single directory that has the installation instructions readme and the files, the manual installation segment is empty. What's the point of this?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Which application do you need help installing manually?

For most cases the addins will install correctly without the need to perform a manual install.
Solidworks\Solidedge if the addin doesnt get recognized you can go to File
Open
Change file type to All Files
browse to the Solidworks or Solidedge folder and locate the
TDxSW.dll for Solidworks
mglse.dll for Solidedge
This will now load everytime you start the application.

Maya and 3dsMax include a Manual install instruction.
NX, Pro-E have manual install instructions.
acd

Post by acd »

For example the AutoCad. This is a clip from the readme file:

3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2007
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2008
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2008 (x64)
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2009
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2009 (x64)
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2010
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD 2010 (x64)
====================================

This file explain how to install the current version of 3DxAutoCAD and how to use it.

IMPORTANT:
----------

* Manual Installation:

KNOWN ISSUES:
----------
Bugzilla [4735] Can not open AutoCAD menu item when 3D mouse moves
The current implementation is designed to disable 2D mouse input when the 3D mouse is active.
Ther will be situations where the 2D mouse will still work as expected when using the 3D mouse; this is
the result of an AutoCAD command being active.

2. USING 3DxAutoCAD
------------------

[...]

Many of the other readme's dont have any instructions on how to install, or are void of any installation procedures (as opposed to the CD provided with the device itself). Some readme's just say that 'this program will install...' but there are no programs whatsoever in there or in that dir. I've tried to download the same newest software from your different mirrors, all look the same.

And if I may ask, why isn't the 3dx working as a default device in win/mac. I find this 'manually placing files to plugin dirs' something of a relic in the 80's unix .tgz world?

Shouldn't the 3DxWare SW work as a normal mouse if wanted? It can't be that hard? I love the device otherwise.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The manual install was removed after the 2007 was released.
Changes in the application didnt warrant the manual install instructions.
They were placed there for people who had modified the startup files.
The programmers decide whats placed in the readme file.
They do read the forums and im sure they take into consideration the different requests.

At this time the 3D devices are primarily used for Cad Applications.
I cannot say when and if the driver will ever be made into a general mouse.
Thats up to 3DConnexion and Logitech.
They did recently add the ability to map the mouse keystrokes but its still app dependant.
acd

Post by acd »

So, how am I supposed to install anything anywhere. The 3dx software didn't install the plugins to 3ds max for instance. I had to manually copy the files by the instructions I found on the CD.

If I get a new application or version of it, what do I do then to enable the plugins to the new version or app?

Why didn't the developers put this info in the readme files? It's like having instructions on how to change tires on your car saying nothing, assuming you call the auto repair service any case?

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Did you have the application running when you installed the driver?
If so then windows didnt allow the addin to install in the correct folders.

Im not a developer so i cnnot answer why the manual install was removed form some of the plugin files.
Maybe at the time of the changes they did not have time to finish updating the readme files.
If you have a problem getting a plugin to be started or recognized contact the helpdesk.
We'l be glad to help you get it recognized.
acd

Post by acd »

No I didn't have the application running. And furthermore what do I do if I have to reinstall it? Run the whole 3dxware setup again?
Could you please send a query to the developers if possible and ask why on this good earth did they remove the manual install directions and left us with a solution that screams 'lets hope it works'.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Go to add remove programs
Select 3DXware and change
You get 3 options
Uninstall, repair, customize

The programmers do read the Forum.
And i believe they will take this into consideration.
acd

Post by acd »

Fred wrote:Go to add remove programs
Select 3DXware and change
You get 3 options
Uninstall, repair, customize
Why couldn't I find this in the help files? Why do you need to go through windows' install/repair-stuff, when the device itself otherwise has nothing to do with windows interface (does not work by default)?
Fred wrote: The programmers do read the Forum.
And i believe they will take this into consideration.
If they really do, then here's my idea:

When you install the program, you get that list of programs you can install the add-in to. Well, remove that, and just install the basics. Then start another phase of the setup which asks if the program should scan your computer for compatible programs or do you want to browse yourself.
You can also 'force' the installation incase the version doesn't match exactly.

From this setup you could re-install and manage the add-ins. As opposed to what there is now. A huge list of folders with nothing but half-empty readme:s.

And another note: Make the buttons and rotations totally customizable - make an interface that can turn the device into a normal mouse + zoom etc. That would work in every program. You could switch away from this mode if you'd wish to use it in a CAD product.

There, simple as that and I guarantee many many people would be much happier than what it is now.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi acd,

The developers (and others in Engineering) do check this forum and follow it up.

Regarding the issue with the manual installation, we regret that the section was left in there and empty. We will remove it in the next iteration. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you and other customers, users of AutoCAD.

The specific installation issue with AutoCAD are due to the fact that the application requires plug-in files to be copied to the application installation directory. This creates a problem where the application must be installed before any 3Dconnexion software is copied to the system. Cycling the 3Dconnexion software installation (or running a repair) corrects that problem.

Having a scan at install time does not help since the application isn't on the system. The 3Dx installation needs to be re-run after the app's. Having the add-in software pre-installed allows for a simple "repair" or "update" step to be executed instead of a full re-install (requiring the user to find the original CD-ROM or to download the 3Dconnexion software).

Again, we're are sorry for the confusion with the manual install section. We have taken steps to remove it.
Nuno Gomes
acd

Post by acd »

Cheers and thanks.

I really do hope that 3dx someday works more versatile with windows.
It has so much potential I can't even fathom how many apps would be extremely more accessible (and fun) with it.
You could maneuver an airplane simulator with it for all it matters.