I-DEAS V11m2 crashes using SpaceNavigator(SE) or SpaceExplor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

timo

I-DEAS V11m2 crashes using SpaceNavigator(SE) or SpaceExplor

Post by timo »

Hello.
We bought a Space Navigator and a Space Explorer to use with I-DEAS V11m2 (UGS).
The devices work basically but within a undefined time (could be 10s or 2min) or maybe movement I-DEAS crashes. It only crashes when you use the devices. Running the driver but not touching the device result in no problems....
The WinXP report shows:
Signature:
AppName: geomod.exe AppVer.11.2.0.40 ModName: shw32.dll ModVer: 5.0.0.0 Offset 000027d9

We use driver version 3.0.9 on WinXP SP2 on two different machines. We tried a clean boot (without other drivers and applications). The graphic cards we tested are Nvidia Quadro FX 500 and FX 1800 with latest certified drivers.
Talking with 3DConnexion support we tried to exchange shw32.dll to a new version result in I-DEAS not starting/running any longer. So we switched back.

Other companies we know uses same configuration but with SpacePilot and older drivers without having problems. So the new drivers (that are needed for SpaceExplorer and SpaceNavigator) might be responsible.

Any ideas or solutions ?
Can i change the devices to SpacePilots or might there be new drivers to run with I-DEAS 11.
By the way. Updating to I-DEAS 12 or NX is not an option because our customers needs V11 native format.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi timo,

The support for 3Dconnexion devices in I-DEAS is native to the application. In other words, it is UGS that developed the solution to integrate our devices.
In these cases, we advise our customers to contact the customer service of the application editor.
We do appreciate if you could post in this forum the information you receive from them.
Nuno Gomes
timo

Post by timo »

Hello Nuno,

i already contacted UGS but the solutions offered did not work.
First solution was to deinstall 3DxOffice which could cause I-DEAS to crash. The new drivers (3.0.9 etc.) does not have 3DxOffice included, so no deinstall possible. Old driver versions (2.x.x) does not work with the new devices.

The second step we tried is the latest graphic card driver (certified). No result. Then we tried a clean boot, with no other applications starting with windows - nothing changes.
That's where i am. Didn't got any new responses from UGS support for two weeks (tried a few times).

..... :cry:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi timo,
We will trying from our end as well but customer requests are normally given more attention.
If you have it, could you please send me the issue tracking number logged at UGS by a private message. That will give us something more solid when we approach UGS.
jwick

Post by jwick »

From Ken: "Anything prior to version 11m3 has a bottle neck problem. It will crash if used with a USB device. The fix is to slow down the USB data rate."

The bottleneck problem is a bug in I-DEAS that causes it to crash if it gets data too fast from the input device. I guess it was fixed in 11m3.

If possible the customer should upgrade one more point release.

If that isn't possible, it is possible to slow down USB devices by setting the following entry in HKLM/software/3dconnexion/3dxware"
USBDataRate = "15"

This is a REG_SZ entry. The value (a string) is the number of events per second that will be sent to the application. Slowing it to 15 eps or slower seems to hide the bug in I-DEAS.
timo

Post by timo »

Hello jwick,

thanks for the reply. The registry entry seems to help. If i have still crashes in the future i will post again, else everything works well with this solution. Thank you.
cool_joe

Post by cool_joe »

Hello together,

I have the same problem with I-DEAS 8m2, but I can´t finde the regestry where I can change the USB data rate in your newest Driver 3.1.8. I have to run under Win2000 SP4
jwick

Post by jwick »

You have to create this new value it doesn't exist unless it is needed.

With 3.1.8, you should make this entry in HKCU/software/3dconnexion/3dxware.
I think it works in either place. One you need to be admin, the other you don't.

Let us know if this clears it up.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
cool_joe

Post by cool_joe »

Hello again,

some times it is rearly helpfull to ask the admin. :wink:
After placing the value in the right place, the navigator run´s great. Especially when you remember the combination of old system with a brand new Device.

Good job, thak you a lot. Also thanks to the other guys for the information about the bottle neck.