IS IT WORTH UPGRADING FROM SPACEPILOT TO SPACEPILOT PRO?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

RICH055

IS IT WORTH UPGRADING FROM SPACEPILOT TO SPACEPILOT PRO?

Post by RICH055 »

JUST WONDERING, SAYING I HAD A MONEY TREE IN THE BACK YARD.

45 MIN LATER IM POSTING ON THE FORUMS YEASSS! human, VIP Code, verification code, test post.. CHRIST!
Fred

Post by Fred »

That is going to depend on how you primarily use the device.
The Spacepilot can hold multple button configurations and you can simple push a button to switch between each saved config. It is geared towards the Heavy cad user who likes to have access to instant quick keys.

The Pro is a combination Office/Cad oriented device so you have quick access to your emails and News sources along with Quick keys for your Cad programs.
RICH055

Post by RICH055 »

The office features I would never use. I think having the screen tilted as in the pro is a nice improvment, though the flat form factor of the space pilot looks like it has a certain look for some that want a thinner look.

Its the knob the same movement? I mean same exact compontes/quality inside?

I noticed a few more function keys. I was going to upgrade to the pro from the spaceball but just got a spacepilot fairly inexpensive off ebay, have to say it has the buttons I was looking for, especially the view buttons and esc, alt, cntrl on left which was sorely needed, also having the readout is great especially using several cad packages almost no way to remember them without screen.

I miss the tactile feel of the spaceball, was nice to grip it, but spacepilot is very acurrate as well, I felt the spaceball could allow for more natural movement though, and the square knob seems to bottom out occasionally which is not as nice of a feel. can see how each system has advantages and disadvantages.

So thats what I really wanted to know , the pro has more buttons, looks cooler, and is easier to read? Its tempting to have the latest thing but maybe I will hold off a while.

Cant wait to see what next you guys come up with, Truely the best PC device on the market.
chaseacej

Post by chaseacej »

I recently upgraded to the Pro from the spacepilot and I can say that I love the Pro.

One thing I wish was changed was the numerical function buttons and the shift,esc, etc were switched in location. This way you could use the function buttons with two fingers more easily.

As far as the office functions go, the rss viewer is nice can "look" like you are still working while viewing the feeds. If its a feed you like just click ok and it will bring it up in your browser. The Outlook functions work nice but for me I use dual monitors and have Outlook running on the second monitor.

Look forward to more applets coming out only wish I could program and I would release some.
YBW

Post by YBW »

I used a SpacePilot for more than a year, and even replaced my SpaceBall at home with a Pilot off eBay. The feel of the Pro stick is as good or better than the Pilot. Certainly it hasn't gone backward.

If your only use is the stick then don't change.

The new LCD screen is useful if your button mappings aren't yet to the reflex stage. The screen is too small for my old eyes to use the Office features.

The real benefit of the Pro is the major increase in buttons. I love setting my buttons up, not just in SolidWorks but in all my apps. I do a lot of imageJ work and the having a few button available really moves things a long.

However, as of this writing, the button mapping function in the SolidWorks add-in is a disaster. A little over half the commands are not available. If you love buttons then you first need to findout if they've trashed the driver for you primary app. Driver support for SolidWorks has steadily worsened over the last two years. I'm about six months away from despair on this issue. I can't speak for other "supported" apps.

Also, if you use your Pilot in unsupported apps, be aware that the later drivers are getting worse and worse at recognizing what app you're in. I just switched to FireFox but my Pro thinks I'm still in Outlook. I will have to force the change. The large number of buttons mitigates this failing to some degree. There are enough buttons that I can put all of the commands for imageJ, Encarta, Streets&Trips, and AutoRoute in one mapping.

So, if you love buttons, and the driver for your primary app has not been gutted, then go for it. Otherwise, I don't think you gain anything but a prettier shell.
BBOwen

Post by BBOwen »

To me it wouldn't be worth it because it has lots of issues. I have reprogram several custom buttons every time I restart my computer because it won't save them.
YBW

Post by YBW »

BBOwen, can you tell me your primary app? I know that the SolidWorks Add-in got hosed, but I don't know about any other "supported" apps.

Also, I still have hope. It's pretty hard to fix bad hardware. Fixing bad software just requires that it be a corporate priority. The drivers used to be a strong point in 3D's favor.

They took at hit when software development moved to Germany. It seems with German developers you either get a thing of beauty or crap. As far as I can tell, it depends on the manager. If you have a competent manager with a strong customer focus and tight control over his employees, then the Germans can create some tight code. However, I've seen German programmers go cowboy in a big way and then the user is doomed. At this point we have the latter. My hope is that things are changing.
BBOwen

Post by BBOwen »

I use MasterCAM and Rapidform.
For the price of this thing you'd think it would have good support. The way I feel right now, I think I wasted my money.
I could have used that money elsewhere on products that actually make me more productive instead of pissed off.
YBW

Post by YBW »

BBOwen:
Sorry to hear that your using something other than SolidWorks and having problems. My guess is they will fix your add-ins in the next three months. So, I would keep downloading the new drivers. These things go in cycles.

Once you have one that works, be sure to keep a copy of the executable. That way if they break the add-in at some later date, you'll still have a working version. Since the pro is a new product I don't have legacy driver to help me till they fix the SolidWorks add-in.
YBW

Post by YBW »

I loaded 3.8.1. It fixed the SW button mapping problems. Don't know what that means for MasterCAM or Rapidform.