3Dconnexion and Windows 7

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

3Dconnexion and Windows 7

Post by ngomes »

Update: official Windows 7 support is now available on 3DxSoftware v. 3.8 and newer. You may download the software from here.

We, at 3Dconnexion, are looking forward to the release of the next major revision of Microsoft's operating system, Windows 7.

We have been actively following the test cycle of Windows 7 and we can now share some information with our customers.

Before going any further, please understand the following:
  • At this stage, 3Dconnexion does not provide technical support for Windows 7;
  • The current 3Dconnexion software release does not officially support Windows 7;
  • You should check the information made available by the editor of your 3D application to confirm it can be used on Windows 7.
With that in mind, it is important to note that 3Dconnexion does not recommend the use of unsupported software in production environments where system availability and/or data integrity is of critical importance. We cannot stress that enough.

If you are already testing Windows 7 and you have a current 3D mouse (SpaceNavigator, SpaceExplorer, SpacePilot), we would like to encourage you to install 3DxSoftware v. 3.7.18, released earlier today. The software is available for download here.

Please use this topic to share your experience. We're very interested in knowing about the tested 3D applications performance and, if possible, the details of the 3D mouse (model), application (version) and platform (x86, x64) you are using.

Looking ahead, we plan to have official Windows 7 support in release version 3.8. We aim to make the software available (in beta) in early October, in time for the general availability milestone of Windows 7 RTM on Oct 22.
Last edited by ngomes on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuno Gomes
subber

Post by subber »

Hi guys!

Good news, with the 3.7.18 drivers SpaceNavigator runs perfectly under Windows 7 (RTM x64)!

Thanks
Cadtastic

Windows 7 RC 64bit w Logitech setpoint does not work

Post by Cadtastic »

Its probably my configuration but I'm getting paperweight behavior.

I'm running Windows 7 RC 7100 64bit so this would be my first culprit.
3.7.18 drivers..
PE
Asus p5K deluxe (intel P45), 8gigs Gskill RAM, core 2 duo

The mouse buttons DO WORK. But the mouse itself doesn't move the 3D control panel objects or any other program I try to enable it for.

I don't think this is 3d's fault though I did assume that like other mice you would be able to assign its movements to custom behaviors to work on any program, rather than limited support.

One other point is that I am running Logitech setpoint super bloated program to run my 'Track Man' wireless track ball with lots of buttons. I would call that my second culprit.

I'm interested in any other configurations and success rate.

It truly is exciting and I wish it worked in my situation.

Thank you.
subber

Post by subber »

"Please use this topic to share your experience. We're very interested in knowing about the tested 3D applications performance and, if possible, the details of the 3D mouse (model), application (version) and platform (x86, x64) you are using. "

I use SpaceNavigator SE, with 3DS MAX 2010 64bit, and Windows 7 also 64bit , RTM version. And of course latest SpaceNavigator driver. With this combination it works! I don't know any performance issue, it is a fact that under Win 7 the 3DS MAX is slower than under XP for me, but the mouse movement, behaviour is the same. (Funny, but Win7 gives a popup that MAX 2010 is an uncompatible version but runs fine).
cem

Post by cem »

Hi there,

first of all, excuse me, my english is not the best.
I'm using win7 7.6 build64 bit german.
I'm able to install the newest driver 3DxSoftwarePE_v3-7-18 for my space navigator PE,
but when start the software, I mean the demos within 3DxSoftware, windows returns with: can't find a 3D motion contoller.
When I start max 2010, I'm able to open the control panel, but nothing more.
My 3d mouse don't work with win 7.
In the past I used win vista, without any problems.
I think, I have to wait for the new driver release

Cem
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi cem,

Is your SpaceNavigator Recognized by Windows? Does it work on another machine?
Robert Stadie
chuck40

Post by chuck40 »

Hello, I'm running Windows 7 Release Candidate along with a SpaceNavigator PE. The SpaceNavigator seems to be working fine for me within Windows 7, however I am encountering a number of problems when I try to use it with the Windows XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7. I am trying to use the XP VM so I can keep using my copy of SolidWorks 2006. However, when I open the VM, the "3DConnexion Control Panel" shortcut on the desktop is not launching the control panel, and when I open SolidWorks I get an error message that says "3Dconnexion Motion Controller driver (3DxWare) not found. Please start the driver now. You do not have to shut down SolidWorks." I try going through the Start menu to manually start the driver but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Has anyone else tried using their SpaceNavigator in the XP Virtual Machine yet? I appreciate the help!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi chuck40,

Not sure I got this right: did you install the 3Dconnexion software in the VM environment? Also, the 3D mouse (a USB device) needs to be exposed in the VM environment (using USB pass-through).
chuck40

Post by chuck40 »

I installed the 3Dconnexion software in both the regular operating system (Windows 7) and the VM environment. I did not do anything to expose the device in the VM environment, can you tell me how I go about using a USB pass-though in Windows Virtual PC?

Thanks!
carlos

Post by carlos »

hello, i install windows 7 and my spacexplorer on the first time works well then i made reboot and stop working. Time to time i got it working then after new reboot lost it again :(.
Any news about the release of drivers?

thanks
carlos

its spacenavigator

Post by carlos »

now i got it working so i will dont reboot, where i can see the log file?
chuck40

Post by chuck40 »

Does anyone know why my USB SpaceNavigator is not showing up in the Windows XP Virtual Machine (within Windows 7)? I have not had any problems with any other USB Devices. I appreciate the help
UtaSH

Re: its spacenavigator

Post by UtaSH »

@ carlos:
carlos wrote:now i got it working so i will dont reboot, where i can see the log file?
The logfile (3DxWare.log) has to be activated. For example in the driver panel in the menu "Tools -> Write Log File". When it is activated the file will be located at %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

chuck40 wrote:Does anyone know why my USB SpaceNavigator is not showing up in the Windows XP Virtual Machine (within Windows 7)? I have not had any problems with any other USB Devices. I appreciate the help
chuck40,

please make sure the driver in your host os is not running. This might prevent the host system to pass the device through to the virtual machine.
WindowsNT

Post by WindowsNT »

Everything 's working fine here, Windows 7 x64/x86 and in a vmware with XP or Vista inside Win 7.

SpaceNavigator & Latest Driver.