3Dconnexion and Windows 7

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

What do you mean with CCW and CW?

What selection did you make for the "Zoom Direction" in the "Device Configuration" tab?

Please uncheck all "Reversed" tickboxes.
J B

Re: Spaceball 4000 & Windows 7

Post by J B »

Tentee wrote:I just clean installed the full new European release of Windows 7 ultimate, but my Spaceball 4000 will not work with it. I downloaded the available windows driver '3DxSoftware_v2-8-2' and attempted to install without success.
The driver previously worked perfectly with Windows Vista Ultimate, and Auotdesk Inventor 2010, but will not even install with full administrator priveleges.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw the spaceball out, and be forced to try and get hardware I can't really afford, or should I have faith in 3D-Connexion, and that something can be done about it? :(
No need to throw it out. Your 4000 WILL work with Windows 7.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is basically Vista Service Pack 2, and the driver model is the same. So all but in the most rare of circumstances, if it worked in Vista, it should work in 7.

Here's the workaround:

Use something like WinRAR to extract the 2.8.2 exe to a folder of your choice. among these extracted files will be a couple of folders and several files. One of these folders is labeled "components". Open this folder, and you'll see all of the application add ins...and the last folder is "3DxWare".

Open the 3DxWare folder and double click on the file 3Dconnexion 3DxWare.msi. That will basically do a manual install of the driver and 3DxWare on Windows 7.

You can then manually install the add ins you need the same way, or you can run the exe from the beginning and select them during a custom install.

I just got mine up and running. That's all there is to it!
amelia

Post by amelia »

uludwig wrote:What do you mean with CCW and CW?

What selection did you make for the "Zoom Direction" in the "Device Configuration" tab?

Please uncheck all "Reversed" tickboxes.
CW:Clock Wise
CCW:Counter Clock Wise

Zoom Direction:Front Back (blue)

All Reversed uncheked, same action, but with 3dsmax all goes in the wrong direction.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Is the direction correct if you try the Cube3D Demo? (Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion 3DxWare -> Demos -> Cube3D Demo)
amelia

Post by amelia »

uludwig wrote:Is the direction correct if you try the Cube3D Demo? (Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion 3DxWare -> Demos -> Cube3D Demo)
Demo: Cube3D
Reversed: all unchecked;
All axis work fine: Roll OK, Directions OK.

But with 3dsmax 2010 with the same configuration NO.
amelia
Tentee

Re: Spaceball 4000 & Windows 7

Post by Tentee »

J B wrote:
Tentee wrote:I just clean installed the full new European release of Windows 7 ultimate, but my Spaceball 4000 will not work with it. I downloaded the available windows driver '3DxSoftware_v2-8-2' and attempted to install without success.
The driver previously worked perfectly with Windows Vista Ultimate, and Auotdesk Inventor 2010, but will not even install with full administrator priveleges.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw the spaceball out, and be forced to try and get hardware I can't really afford, or should I have faith in 3D-Connexion, and that something can be done about it? :(
No need to throw it out. Your 4000 WILL work with Windows 7.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is basically Vista Service Pack 2, and the driver model is the same. So all but in the most rare of circumstances, if it worked in Vista, it should work in 7.

Here's the workaround:

Use something like WinRAR to extract the 2.8.2 exe to a folder of your choice. among these extracted files will be a couple of folders and several files. One of these folders is labeled "components". Open this folder, and you'll see all of the application add ins...and the last folder is "3DxWare".

Open the 3DxWare folder and double click on the file 3Dconnexion 3DxWare.msi. That will basically do a manual install of the driver and 3DxWare on Windows 7.

You can then manually install the add ins you need the same way, or you can run the exe from the beginning and select them during a custom install.

I just got mine up and running. That's all there is to it!
Thank You J B!!! Thank you very much for the most genuine unbiased advice I have received on this forum so far, a true breath of fresh air indeed.
Having made sure I was using a true administrator account in windows 7, the method you describe worked a treat - Well Done!! :D :D
amelia

Post by amelia »

amelia wrote:
uludwig wrote:Is the direction correct if you try the Cube3D Demo? (Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion 3DxWare -> Demos -> Cube3D Demo)
Demo: Cube3D
Reversed: all unchecked;
All axis work fine: Roll OK, Directions OK.

But with 3dsmax 2010 with the same configuration NO.
amelia
Found!
In the 3DCONNEXION/3dsmax-Control Panel:
Move Scene->set (previous: Move Camera)
Disable Rolling->unchecked (previous checked).
End of the story.
amelia
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi amelia,

I'm glad you found the right settings. Thanks for posting your findings here; this might help others, too.
barkhan

Post by barkhan »

I just upgraded my pc to windows 7 64 bit. but when try to install latest driver of Space Pilot pro windows says "it is not a Win 32 application" and it didn't install driver.
Will you help me about it?
CNCFan

Post by CNCFan »

Hello
Using SpaceNavigator with Sketchup 7.1.4.871 (free version)
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Start sketchup and draw a few items. No problem with using SpaceNavigator. I then create a few components and then when I try to use SpaceNavigor Sketchup crashes. This has happened many times, very easy to recreate.

I then deleted both Sketchup program and the SpaceNavigator drivers Downloaded both again and did reinstall…no help.

Moving with the mouse does not cause a crash of Sketchup.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You
George
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hibarkhan,
but when try to install latest driver of Space Pilot pro windows says "it is not a Win 32 application"
Most likely than not you have a corrupted download file. Try downloading again and check the file "digital signature" (right mouse button click, Properties, Digial Signatures).
CNCFan

Post by CNCFan »

Update to my 11:42 AM post.

I fell back to version 7 of Sketchup and all is working well.

Been working with version 7 for last 30 minutes with saved file from version 7.1. Sketchup no longer crashes making same operations as it did in V7.1 using the SpaceNavigator. May be a little early to say this has solved my problem, but looks good so far.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi CNCFan,
Hello
Have you tried using SketchUp v. 7.1.6.x? If you have, did it also show the same stability issues?
CNCFan

Post by CNCFan »

ngomes wrote:Hi CNCFan,
Hello
Have you tried using SketchUp v. 7.1.6.x? If you have, did it also show the same stability issues?
Not sure what the version was other than 7.1, I will dl 7.1.6.x and see what happens,

Thanks
george
Lauri

Still no Windows 7 Support?

Post by Lauri »

I see there is no update form the first post stating that Windows 7 is not supported, is this still the case?

I ask because I have been running windows 7 64 Ultimate Eval for some months now, my space navigator was working fine from the start with whatever versaion of the driver I installed at the time.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the blue lights had gone out and the device not working, only once after a reboot did it come back on, then gone again. When plugging/unplugging USB port, I get the windows 'duh duh' sound, so it knows something is plugged in, but it's not loading the driver, and not showing up in device manager.

I tried latest driver, no luck. Followed all the info on the forum. So I ordered another Spacenavigator, thinking mine was broken (I have been using it happily for a couple of years now). The new one arrived today, plugged it in, no luck, installed 3.8.2 drivers, still nothing, in eaither of my 2 Win7 64 machines.

What is odd is that it was working fine then just died. Nothing I am aware of changed on the machine. Altough I don't have another PC/OS to try it on, I am fairly sure it's not a hardware problem but software.

Now it looks like I have 2 rather expensive paper weights. I notice you have managed to get your retail customers to do the driver testing via the forum and PM. When will your company be releasing a driver that works with Windows 7?

I don't like being without this fantastic device.