Driver 3.7.16 with Solidworks 2009 x64 Vista

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jalcad

Post by jalcad »

I had to reformat a hard drive and reinstall programs including SW & also 3dConnexion for the Spacepilot. I downloaded 3.7.16 and installed it. When going to the button mapping using the menu icon in SW, half of the commands were not there. I know it uses those commands that are on the menus and had all of them turned on. So I uninstalled 3.7.16 and installed 3.6.11. I then opened the Button mapping and most if not all of the menu selections were back as they should have been and this is with not changing anything in Solidworks.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear jalcad,

Could you give us some examples of the commands that you find are missing?

Thanks,
Bryan
magnusnorlund

Post by magnusnorlund »

i'm not running 2009, but after the update i can't map the measure command, it's under the toolsmenu
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear jalcad,

I'm sorry the subject heading on your previous post seemed in indicate Solidworks 2009. If not Solidworks 2009, then it would be helpful to know what version of Solidworks.

Any other examples? : ^ >

Is Vista 64 the operating system we should be testing under?

Thanks,
Bryan
magnusnorlund

Post by magnusnorlund »

I found the measure command, it was under quick snaps. As i remember it was under tools before, but i might be wrong
UtaSH

Re: Driver 3.7.16 with Solidworks 2009 x64 Vista

Post by UtaSH »

Hi jalcad,

please see the release notes of the current driver for changes on the SolidWorks addin. It says:
Windows: correction of a long standing issue in the SolidWorks add-in button mapping feature. The method to retrieve and activate application commands have been completely rewritten. The following are the most significant consequences of those changes:
- Most of the command names and categories listed on the add-in’s Button Mapping panel have changed. The new command naming and category structure is a better but not exact match of the application menu;
- Not all previously available commands are now listed on the Button Mapping panel. Conversely, previously unavailable commands can now be mapped to any programmable device button;
- Upgrading over an installation of 3DxSoftware v. 3.7.12 or earlier will cause the SolidWorks add-in button settings to be reset to default. A warning is displayed when upgrading if SolidWorks is installed on the system.
You see: it changed. :wink: So just open the button mapping panel within SolidWorks and parse the list for your favourite commands to map to the device buttons.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Yes this is with Solidworks 2009 using Vista 64. Going from memory since I downgraded versions, under the VIEW for all 3 file types, were Previous View, Zoom to Area that I use all the time and needed. I believe there were only 3 commands under that tab.

If it is because of a rewrite and you put commands in different tabs rather than where they would be in Solidworks, why did you organize them the way they did such as the new location of MEASURE. What does MEASURE have to do with QUICK SNAPS. I would've thought that putting the commands in tabs that correspond to the menus in Solidworks would make more sense to try to locate things.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Bryan wrote:Dear jalcad,

I'm sorry the subject heading on your previous post seemed in indicate Solidworks 2009. If not Solidworks 2009, then it would be helpful to know what version of Solidworks.

Any other examples? : ^ >

Is Vista 64 the operating system we should be testing under?

Thanks,
Bryan
Gee wizz. Guess the post heading
wasn't enough to tell you it was for SW 2009 on Vist X64
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Also this was on a NEW install that did not have 3DConnexion software on it before.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear jalcad,

I'm sorry, I must apologize. I read someone else's posting thinking it was a response from you.

Sincerely,
Bryan
jalcad

Re: Driver 3.7.16 with Solidworks 2009 x64 Vista

Post by jalcad »

uludwig wrote: You see: it changed. :wink: So just open the button mapping panel within SolidWorks and parse the list for your favourite commands to map to the device buttons.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Perhaps you should publish a map of where all the commands went to. Who is the ********** that decided where to place the commands in the mapping panel. It had to be someone that either put all the commands into a box and drew them out one at a time and placed them or someone that didn't know a darn thing about Solidworks.
I don't see ANY ASSEMBLY commands such as INSERT COMPONENT or they are buried in some other mapping panel. These mappings are SO SCREWED UP it isn't funny. Wouldn't it have made more sense to duplicate the menus and and commands as they are in Solidworks or at least come close. THIS IS A JOKE OF AN UPGRADE :evil:

---
Edit (moderator): removed insult (see BOARD RULES under "Be respectful").
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

It was actually easier to find the commands the way they were before. At least if they weren't in the list you could add the command to the menu & it would show up in the mapping panel. Perhaps this change was brought about because of the serial spaceball users that figured out that you didnt have to buy new usb devices because you quit supporting them.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi jalcad,

I suspect you found the commands you were looking for?

We are now tracking your request with ID 5132 and we are working on it. I will let you know as soon as something changes.
Robert Stadie
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Yes I did. I UNINSTALLED THE JOKE OF AN UPGRADE AND INSTALLED 3.6.11 back on. All my commands are back WHERE THEY SHOULD BE
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

We monitor the issues caused by the recent changes very closely, we want to provide the best possible solution for you and all our customers.

We very much regret any inconvenience and we are working hard to improve our solution.
Robert Stadie