Zoom in Photoshop CS4

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tsymyn

Zoom in Photoshop CS4

Post by tsymyn »

In case anyone else has this problem:

My Photoshop CS4 64-bit was not behaving properly with my Space Navigator SE. Pan worked, but Zoom in/out would pan up/down. The solution was to disable "Zoom with Scroll Wheel" in Edit > Preferences > General. It seems that setting breaks zoom support with the SN.
DJackson

Re: Zoom in Photoshop CS4

Post by DJackson »

tsymyn wrote:In case anyone else has this problem:

My Photoshop CS4 64-bit was not behaving properly with my Space Navigator SE. Pan worked, but Zoom in/out would pan up/down. The solution was to disable "Zoom with Scroll Wheel" in Edit > Preferences > General. It seems that setting breaks zoom support with the SN.
Was there a plugin that you installed? I cannot find out how to get the SpaceNavigator to work period :(
tsymyn

Post by tsymyn »

Yes, in my case when I installed the newest SN driver it automatically installed it, but if you go to C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxPhotoshopCS464 (for 64-bit) there's a file called 3DxPhotoshopCS4.8li. That's a photoshop plugin, copy it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\. It will then start when you start photoshop. It'll ask you to assign a keyboard shortcut to it, I had a hard time finding a key combination that wasn't already assigned, I ended up stealing one from a function I don't use.

Those directions assume 64-bit Vista and 64-bit photoshop. If you have a different setup and need help I'd be happy to give you directions specific to your setup.

The only other program (besides Google Earth) I use the SN with is ESRI ArcGIS, I had to download a plugin someone else had written for it and load it into ArcMap. I don't know if there are apps where it just automatically works or not.
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

tsymyn wrote:Yes, in my case when I installed the newest SN driver it automatically installed it, but if you go to C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxPhotoshopCS464 (for 64-bit) there's a file called 3DxPhotoshopCS4.8li. That's a photoshop plugin, copy it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\. It will then start when you start photoshop. It'll ask you to assign a keyboard shortcut to it, I had a hard time finding a key combination that wasn't already assigned, I ended up stealing one from a function I don't use.

Those directions assume 64-bit Vista and 64-bit photoshop. If you have a different setup and need help I'd be happy to give you directions specific to your setup.

The only other program (besides Google Earth) I use the SN with is ESRI ArcGIS, I had to download a plugin someone else had written for it and load it into ArcMap. I don't know if there are apps where it just automatically works or not.
I'm actually a Mac 8) and hopping to see how you Windows guys (I'm actually both Mac and Windows user) for answers because there's absolutely none available from 3Dconnexions.

PS CS4 is certified and supported but absolutely no documentation, no PS plugin on the disk or online. :?
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

yeah just read the release notes on the new 3.5.6 driver for Mac

"The following products were added (new)... 3DxPhotoshopCS4 (x86 and X64)..."

I just installed that driver (same as you windows guys do), but yet, hmmmm no workie.

oh well, I'm waiting on my Contour ******-Pro 2 Remote Control.

Thanks for the Windows tip, I have Windows at home and Photoshop CS3 Extended so I'll certainly use your tip if something goes awry there. :)
tsymyn

Post by tsymyn »

Knowing Adobe the plugins are probably the same for PC and Mac, it'd just be a matter of where to put the plugin. Haven't used a Mac since System 9, so I doubt I'll be much help on that account. Maybe Adobe support will have info on where to put a plugin file.
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

tsymyn wrote:Knowing Adobe the plugins are probably the same for PC and Mac, it'd just be a matter of where to put the plugin. Haven't used a Mac since System 9, so I doubt I'll be much help on that account. Maybe Adobe support will have info on where to put a plugin file.
Yeah it's precisely the same placement, as Windows pretty much. I'm on a Mac Intel.

Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-Ins/

Difference being that plugins on the Mac Adobe side have the extension .plugin
instead of .8li , which makes things a lot less cryptic on the Mac.

Problem is, I see no such plugin from 3DConnexion, though it states that the new driver included it, and I see no such plugin added into my Photoshop folder from the installation of the newest driver. :(

What I bet is that the driver installed it out on Pluto somewhere, instead of in the Photoshop directory :roll:
tsymyn

Post by tsymyn »

A quick Google search didn't turn anything up, but I wonder what would happen if you just renamed the plugin to .plugin from .8li. I'd think the worst thing that could happen is PS would refuse to start until you removed it.

Does the SN driver store the plugins in a folder under it's application folder on the Mac like it does in Program Files on the PC?
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

tsymyn wrote:A quick Google search didn't turn anything up, but I wonder what would happen if you just renamed the plugin to .plugin from .8li. I'd think the worst thing that could happen is PS would refuse to start until you removed it.

Does the SN driver store the plugins in a folder under it's application folder on the Mac like it does in Program Files on the PC?
Actually I found a thread in the Mac OSX area of this forum, this exact topic is discussed and what is happening is that the installer of the SpaceNavigator is NOT installing the plugins, it's not installing any plugin for Photoshop, Sketchup, etc...

The release notes say that the new driver includes plugins for newer apps, but someone dropped the ball on the Mac installer and it doesn't do anything.

The thread is here: viewtopic.php?t=2589&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Other Mac users are pretty upset, understandably because they are racking their brains, only to find out that a moderator here is asking them about certain files that the installer never installs.

So we Mac guys have to ask for the files via email. :x
tsymyn

Post by tsymyn »

That's pretty uncool. Hope you can get the plugin today and get back to work!
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

me too, thanks for all the help though, you've already enlightened me inititially to the problem - that there's no plugins actually being installed, and that lead me to do more searching to find this stuff out. Pretty sad support I'd have to say :(

On the bright side, the SpaceNavigator does work in my Cinema 4D, but again, I didn't find the answer here and there was no support or documentation about how to set it up.

Seems like 3DConnexion doesn't communicate very well with the "supported apps" companies or their printers to get better docs to people. And this is ongoing for years now.

Poor moderators have to deal with the fall out of bad communication me thinks. :x
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

i really wish they would just let you download drivers for each program individually off of the site. i hate this packaged garbage. i have to dl a 95mb file for a 2mb plugin. i might be alright with it if the updater detected supported programs and allowed me to choose which plugins/drivers i download and update. . . instead of you know. . . 'updating' and then not working, so i have to uninstall and redownload the installer all over again. then i have to grab my disc that came with it so my space pilot will work with cs again because for some reason the install on the site doesnt contain a plugin that wants to work. i'm really hoping this one works, but this is the 5th time i've had to go though this.

guys seriously. fix your distribution. this is ridiculous.
tsymyn

Post by tsymyn »

I agree that it would be much more convenient to be able to d/l the plug for a particular program. But I'm sure the thinking is that you've got all of them in the installation folder for the 3dconnexion software. Plus, if they're changing stuff in the drivers that fixes problems or breaks compatibility with the older plugin versions, they kind of need to "force" you to get the new driver with the new plugins, or it might cause more problems than it fixes...

Being able to have in installer detect the programs you need and then d/l just those plugins would be great - that's an idea they should use.
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

There used to be an option to only install the plugins that you needed, but at some point, that seems to have been removed...