Attn Moderators 64bit Joystick Driver needed

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Keithlostracco

Attn Moderators 64bit Joystick Driver needed

Post by Keithlostracco »

Hello, a good friend of my once said "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Well I am 3dConnexion's squeaky wheel and I'll keep an squeaking until I get some grease.

Jwick I am sure that you read my previous post, did you pass my message to your superiors? If so, did they have anything to say?

With all the resources you have, why won't you build a joystick driver? Do you not realize that you are losing money. I have done a relatively thorough search for other 6 axis joysticks but can't seem to find one that is similar to the SpacePilot, even Logitech's joystick's do not compete with the SpacePilot.

Maybe 3dConnexion thinks they will not look professional if they release their products with joystick capability. I think you look less professional ignoring your customers.

Please pass this message to your superiors.

thanks

Keith
HellsHavoc

Re: Attn Moderators 64bit Joystick Driver needed

Post by HellsHavoc »

Keithlostracco wrote:Hello, a good friend of my once said "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Well I am 3dConnexion's squeaky wheel and I'll keep an squeaking until I get some grease.

Jwick I am sure that you read my previous post, did you pass my message to your superiors? If so, did they have anything to say?

With all the resources you have, why won't you build a joystick driver? Do you not realize that you are losing money. I have done a relatively thorough search for other 6 axis joysticks but can't seem to find one that is similar to the SpacePilot, even Logitech's joystick's do not compete with the SpacePilot.

Maybe 3dConnexion thinks they will not look professional if they release their products with joystick capability. I think you look less professional ignoring your customers.

Please pass this message to your superiors.

thanks

Keith
It's understandable as to why they dont. They are more geared to the buisness indistry and not "gamers". They dont see the point in appealing to people that want joysticks in fear of looseing them "snooty" buisness peeps that will shun away once that "community" takes over forums and support. And many more reasons,

But i also see your point. And yes its an amazing idea, but you can also just....make one yourself. We dont HAVE to rely on 3dconnexion to serve on a silver platter. Start googling and learn how to use the sdk. Learn how to build.

My only problem is their damn sofware installer package. Seems the SLDWRS plug-in MSI shit the bed on me and it just refuses to install. Ive even broke down the msi seperate from installer package and debugged with ORCA. Still i didnt find anything that would hinder the installation of the solidworks plug-in.
Smiler

Re: Attn Moderators 64bit Joystick Driver needed

Post by Smiler »

[quote=

It's understandable as to why they dont. They are more geared to the buisness indistry and not "gamers". They dont see the point in appealing to people that want joysticks in fear of looseing them "snooty" buisness peeps that will shun away once that "community" takes over forums and support. And many more reasons,
[/quote]

See, this is the bit I never got. If they are geared to the "Pro" market, then why release the SpaceNavigator and market it as a consumer level product when consumer level products are never going to support it? I'm thinking of the likes of games and low end graphics apps etc. here that have short lifetimes or don't have the developer infrastructure to devote the time to adding support. Makes no sense to me.
Regards, Jeff.
Keithlostracco

Post by Keithlostracco »

Writing a driver for windows is easier said than done. I've attempted to but I am not a Windows programmer and I don't have the time to spend a couple of months trying to write the driver. If it was that easy then why haven't a couple of the programmers that were trying to rewrite the RBC9 driver for 64bit successful?

I don't want the driver for games but for a realtime 3d/compositing program called Touch Designer. It is very powerful app. It supports a joystick.

In the music industry we have standard called Midi, any midi capable device (keyboard, computer, DAW controller, etc..) can communicate with any other midi device because midi is a standard used by all companies selling digital music gear and software. At this moment the 3dConnexion driver has to have a different plugin for each piece of software it is used with. This is extremely inefficient, if the pro 3d apps would support a standardized 3d controller and 3dConnexion would conform to the standard (Joystick interface perhaps!) then they could save money and focus on improving their products rather than writing a hundred different plugins for each piece of software.

As far as people not buying the product because it acts as a joystick (because is too unprofessional for them) then those people are actually not acting very professionally. A true professional would use whatever tools that got the job done without thinking twice about it. If a person wouldn't use it because of its name (or the standard it used) then they are more concerned with what other people think than doing their job and that sounds extremely unprofessional to me.