Maya Request

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Artesiastp

Maya Request

Post by Artesiastp »

I work in both maya and 3dsmax and use the spacenavigator as a way I don't have to remember all the obscure key combinations to change my view. This works well in 3dviews but maya's windows I still have to alt click drag this or w/e the combination is and I find it very annoying that the space navigator can't pan and zoom in these views. Hypergraph Hypershade etc, views that have a large area of nodes connecting to each other I would really like to be able to pan and zoom around with the space navigator.

I haven't worked too much in 3ds max lately so I don't remember if you can do this in the curve editor, but it would be nice if it worked in all windows in both programs (whichever is active, as long as 3d view lock is off)

thanks.

-Sean
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

I don't have a solution for you, but I will also emphasize your point. I agree that these other windows need to recognize the 3D mouse as well - not just the viewports. And the UV editors specifically need to recognize the 3D mouse!
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Thank you for this suggestion, we track this as a feature request with ID 4989.
Robert Stadie
laurens

Post by laurens »

Oh yes, that would be a great feature, as long as I can toggle the 3d view lock.
eclark3d

Post by eclark3d »

in maya, that would be bad a$$ to be able to use the knob in stead of the alt key and mouse in views as well as the uv editor
3duser2k

Post by 3duser2k »

I've asked for this feature a long time ago on this board, before then I asked via email but was told it already should work I just have the wrong driver. Reinstalled driver 100x and still didnt work now I see its at a feature request stage so at least i know it wasnt my comp's fault.
What are the chances of implementing this? Its more than a convenience its a necessity, you people navigating with a mouse both in 3d and 2d views dont realize you spend 80% of your time click dragging while navigation should all be done with a 3d device like a spacepilot. Navigating with a mouse ruins your hands, i can show you my mri's to prove it. Im a good example- cant click a mouse anymore for over 10 min have to use a wacom pen which is a pain in the a&* trying to pan and zoom the 2d views like uv editor and graph editor, hypergraph etc with pen's tiny buttons on the side, not to mention uncomfortable and downright painful after a while. So for the sake of our hands functioning in the future so we can get paid and buy more 3dconnexion products, can we have this feature to be able to do all navigation within maya not just half of it with a 3dconnexion device? Pretty please? Can I get a "me too"?
Blank Xavier

Post by Blank Xavier »

Empty reply so I can post new topics.
pixeljuggler

Post by pixeljuggler »

Yes, I desperately need to be able to move around in the graph editor with the 3d mouse!

Alt-mouse is killing my wrists, and I haven't yet found any better solutions... and I've tried 'everything', including foot pedals.

Please, please, please.... add the ability to move the 'camera' in non-view editors in Maya. Graph editor, hypergraph, hypershade, dope sheet, etc.
mattcscz

Post by mattcscz »

sounds like a good idea :D
AntonRadzewicz

Post by AntonRadzewicz »

This feature is expected for a long time! It also would be great if 3D devices would be able to have different axis orientation for 3D and orthographic views as well as in panel views. For example: zoom when moving knob forward in a 3D view, but zoom when moving knob down in the orthographic views and panels.
Also you should not forget that panels like graph_editor, has additional navigation features like zooming in Y or X axis only (this activated by alt+shift+right_Mouse_Button), and this navigation method is used a lot!
So it would be great if this action could be assigned to the rotation of the knob (as it not used in the orthographic views).
3DJ

Post by 3DJ »

Robert, what is the status of this feature request? It seems that a device which advertises to "Reduce mouse movement and clicks by up to 50%" should do so in more than just one type of view in maya since we spend so much time in 2d panels. Is it really that difficult to implement considering it works in other 2d apps? Who can we get to develop this?
Artesiastp

Post by Artesiastp »

wow, almost 2 years ago since I started this thread. Funny to see it resurface.

I would also like to know if there's any update on developing this :)
3DJ

Post by 3DJ »

I came to siggraph and asked you in person one of you said the feature will be added soon, can you please make it happen its been 3 years now, just as an option to be able to turn on if desired because its really difficult to navigate all the 2d panels with a wacom pen and its tiny buttons after a while you get cramps, it would be so much easier and more ergonomic to use 3d mouse everywhere not just half the time youre working on a project. I know you guys have implemented custom programming for single users with disabilities and other needs(read jwick's thread), can you implement this for all of us who need it? I promise to buy the new spacepilot if you do :)
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yes, we did have several requests at SIGGRAPH. It is something we need to look into.
santokki

Re: Maya Request

Post by santokki »

Hello, is there a setting to navigate the 2D windows (UV editor, graph editor) with the space navigator? Or was this feature never been implemented?