Space Nav doesn't work on SolidWorks Student Kit Edition!!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Gibbs

Space Nav doesn't work on SolidWorks Student Kit Edition!!

Post by Gibbs »

Hi,

I bought a Space Nav for solid works student addition also. VERY VERY disappointed to here it won’t work on it, especially when it didn't say anything on the description. Any news on a plug in or software to make it work? Is this the same with all the 'space balls' or just this one?
Perhaps a note on retailers web sites to warn poor students like myself before buying what looks like a good investment!

Any help with this matter would be great.

Thanks

Robert Gibbs

Product Design
Bournemouth University
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

gibbs,
The device is supported on all SolidWorks packages except the Student Design Kit or (SDK) I apologize for the disappointment.
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. Is this always going to be the situation do you know or will there be a plug in for it at some point? not sure whether to send this Space nav back. Also is this the same for all the space balls ie Space traveler as i may up grade to that one?

thanks

Robert Gibbs

Product Design
Bournemouth University
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

Gibbs, To my knowledge there is not plans to change this behavior. I think this is a limitation of the Student Design Kit.

Also, none of our controllers will function in SDK. Sorry. :(
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Gibbs,
Let me add a bit more information. As Ken referred, SW Student Design Kit does have a limitation: it does not load add-ins built with the technology used with our current add-in (as of release 3.0).
Additionally, SW Student Design Kit is no longer supported by SolidWorks. It is standard practice at 3Dconnexion to only actively support applications that are still under maintenance by the editor.
SolidWorks does distribute an academic product for students. More information here.