SolidWorks 2009: Missing SpacePilot button commands

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

takedownca

SolidWorks 2009: Missing SpacePilot button commands

Post by takedownca »

I just upgraded to SolidWorks 2009 from 2007. In 2007 I had one of my SpacePilot buttons mapped to "Definition...". After upgrading this button does nothing. I also can't find it in the button mapping dialog. I believe there used to be a branch of commands dedicated to the Edit menu that is no longer available. I've already installed the latest version of the 3Dx software.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Can you locate "Definition..." under "Tools->Customize->Commands"?

As a workaround you can try the following:
A) Start SolidWorks
B) Add a shortcut for "Definition..."
C) Open the 3DxWare Panel:

Code: Select all

Start->Programs->3Dconnexion->3Dconnexion 3DxWare->Show 3DxWare Control Panel
D) Create a new custom function in the "Button Configuration"-tab with the created shortcut (step B). Make sure that the correct configuration (SolidWorks - YourUserName) is active
E) Restart SolidWorks - you will find the new custom function in "3DxWare Functions"
Robert Stadie
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

I've also just upgraded from Solidworks 07 to 09, and I've noticed that the buttons I had set up for "Replace Components" and "Change Transparency" no longer work.

Neither show up as an option in the 3Dx button mapping window, but both are still in Solidworks and show up in the "Tools->Customize->Commands" box under "Assembly"
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. Unfortunately, the Definition command is not listed in the Customize dialog. At best, I could write a macro that replicates the behavior of Edit Definition, but it's unfortunate that I would have to do that when the functionality was already there in a previous version of SW/3Dx.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Due to an issue with SolidWorks 2008 and above (we track this issue with #4580) some commands from the menu are not available in the Button Mapping Panel.
These commands were available in the "Menu" command category until SolidWorks 2007 (see also the Readme.txt for SolidWorks), but this category is not accessible anymore.

So unfortunately the "create a keyboard-shortcut and bind the corresponding custom function to a button"-workaround is the only "solution" we can currently offer for these commands.
Robert Stadie
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Well, that's unfortunate. Obviously, I'd prefer not to clutter my toolbar with buttons I'll never use, but I guess it's a workable alternative solution. Hopefully you work things out with SolidWorks to regain access to their menu structure/commands. In the meantime for anyone else who had mapped a button to Edit>Definition, I used a macro with the ModelDoc2.FeatEditDef method to recreate the same functionality.