Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

weymouth

Re: Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by weymouth »

demarcjp wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm Do you have drivers installed on both machines?
Hi I tried this but also cannot see the decvice in the list. I have the driver installed on both machines.

I am at home on a laptop with the desktop at work. I am assuming that the settings in gp edit I need to change are on my laptop?

I changed these to admin and users also. Do I need to reboot my desktop at work?

I am using windows 10 enterprise on both machines.
weymouth

Post by weymouth »

I also tried the virtual here option and my desktop pc at work shows no usb items attached (as they are all at home) and if I plug the 3d mouse into the laptop at home I can share it but I'm guessing this is the wrong way round?!
weymouth

Post by weymouth »

I'm guessing the two people that had success with virtual here had a 3d mouse on both client and server machines.
weymouth

Post by weymouth »

Just wanted to post that I have got the gpedit change process to work.

If anyone needs help regarding settings just ask and I will try to help.

I am using windows 10 enterprise on both machines (similar to windows 10 pro)
antonynealrobinson

Post by antonynealrobinson »

Hello,

IT have amanged to get the spacemouse working via RDP using the group policy changes.
It seems to spin around OK considering it's a remote connection.
I'm having the same issue with the keyboard shortcuts not working.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Ant
pball

Post by pball »

I'd love if someone could explain the process they used to get it working. We are going to start working from home some and I tried last night with a wireless spacemouse but couldn't make it work. I'm wondering if I should have tried a wired one, which I'll try this weekend. Thanks
Josh T.

Post by Josh T. »

weymouth wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 am Just wanted to post that I have got the gpedit change process to work.
If anyone needs help regarding settings just ask and I will try to help.
weymouth, I am interested in finding out what else you did to get yours to work. So far I have been unable to get the Space Navigator to show up on my local device's Remote Desktop menu (Remote Desktop > Local Resources > More) despite those group policy changes outlined here (and a few other places).

Thanks,

Josh T.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello everybody,

we found some settings that might help you with the setup with Microsoft's RDP.
We have been seeing an increased interest in temporarily using our SpaceMouse devices in remote environments due to the working transitions that many people are facing during this difficult situation.

Unfortunately, we currently do not support or offer remote solutions ourselves.

In the case your remote solution does not natively offer support for USB devices, we thought the information below might be helpful for you.

If you are using Microsoft’s RDP you have to adapt some settings.

Please note that it is not possible to use a wireless device unless it is connected with a cable. Additionally, the CadMouse cannot be transferred to the remote machine. Nevertheless, you can use the CadMouse as a standard 2D mouse without making use of our driver.

Please keep in mind that a remote setup is not the recommended work setup for using a SpaceMouse. See here.

Steps to enable RemoteFX.

You need to make the changes on both (host and client) systems.

RemoteFX does not work with the universal receiver. You need to connect your wireless device via cable.

Open GPedit

In the group policy editor open Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Connection Client - RemoteFX USB Device Redirection.
Here Enable the option "Allow RDP redirection of other supported RemoteFX USB devices "

Next at Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Connections enable "Allow user to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services ".

At Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Device and Resource Redirection disable "Do not allow supported Plug and Play device redirection".

At Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Remote Session Environment -> RemoteFX for Windows Server 2008 enable "Configure RemoteFX".

Now open the command prompt with administrative rights and enter: gpupdate /force
Next restart the machine.

After the restart open the rdp client (press “Start” and search for RDP) and go to the “Local Resources” tab where you click on “More” on the bottom of the window (section "Local devices and resources").
You should see "Other supported RemoteFX USB devices". Open it - it shows the connected SpaceMouse device. Activate the checkbox for the SpaceMouse device. The device will be forwarded to your target system next time when you connect via RDP.
jesscadd

Post by jesscadd »

DING DING DING
This did it. Thank you so much. :D :D
antonynealrobinson

Has anyone had any joy getting the keyboard controls on the spacemouse to work?
pball

Post by pball »

Last week I managed to get RemoteFX USB support working between two office PCs using the settings UtaSH posted. I then tried the setup at home but was unsuccessful. I have win7 pro and win10 home at home. I was not able to get either of those versions working. So it appears win10 pro is required to get this working.

It is possible to get the group policy editor on win10 home but it seems it still cannot enable one of the RemoteFX options or that component is missing from win10 home so the group policy change doesn't help.

If anyone figures out how to make this work on something besides win10 pro, please share.
antonynealrobinson

You can manually edit the registry to add the remote FX setting but some other colleagues win Win 10 home edition say they still dont get the option to choose a local reasource when starting RDP or Azure
Josh T.

Post by Josh T. »

antonynealrobinson wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am You can manually edit the registry to add the remote FX setting but some other colleagues win Win 10 home edition say they still dont get the option to choose a local reasource when starting RDP or Azure
Yes, that is exactly my experience. I have Win 10 Home, but turned on the gpedit.msc options using a batch file from majorgeeks.com, but to no avail. My Space Navigator does not appear in the list. There must still be something different between Home and Pro other than changing group policy settings.
weymouth

Post by weymouth »

Josh T. wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 am
antonynealrobinson wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am You can manually edit the registry to add the remote FX setting but some other colleagues win Win 10 home edition say they still dont get the option to choose a local reasource when starting RDP or Azure
Yes, that is exactly my experience. I have Win 10 Home, but turned on the gpedit.msc options using a batch file from majorgeeks.com, but to no avail. My Space Navigator does not appear in the list. There must still be something different between Home and Pro other than changing group policy settings.
Now mine is set up it says in the remote desktop connection:

Other Supported Remote FX devices (Ticked box)

Then from that:

Remote Desktop Generic USB Device (also a ticked box)
weymouth

Post by weymouth »

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 30123 times