Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

couillar

Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by couillar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 pm

What steps do I need to take to use the Space Navigator on my PC with a supported application in a remote desktop session? Can it even be done?
Will Couillard

rstadie

Post by rstadie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 am

Hi couillar,

Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) does not support forwarding USB devices. You can either use some software that forwards USB devices over the network/ethernet or use Hewlett Packard's Remote Graphics Software (RGS) wich is certified for our devices.

These posts might also interest you:

viewtopic.php?t=1836
viewtopic.php?t=1725

There is also some software out there that forwards USB devices especially for MS RDP.
Last edited by rstadie on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Stadie

couillar

Post by couillar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks Robert for your reply.

Yesterday after I posted my questions, I did some more searching and found a product that seems to do the job.

It's a two part server/workstation software enabling USB for remote desktop and found it here: http://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop.html
Will Couillard

BillyStone

Re: Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by BillyStone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:53 am

I have a positive experience working with Space Navigator in RDP session thanks to second part software. You don't need any cables or hardware. :)
If it is still important for you, maybe this will help http://www.eltima.com/3d-mouse-over-rdp.html

strott

Post by strott » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

After looking at the other links in this thread, I went exploring a little bit and found VirtualHere.

I was able to use a SpaceMouse with both Altium and Solidworks while accessing a remote system over RDP.

It seems to be the only solution for this particular problem that is both free and actively developed as of Aug '19. They also make a premium version that can redirect more than one USB device that is still 1/3 the price of the other tools that were linked previously. They are an Australian company if anyone is particular about such things.

Ubergeekseven

Post by Ubergeekseven » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 am

Strott, thank you. I have used the other products and the cost is way more than what it should be. The virtualhere program is free for 1 device and $50 for multi device. It worked within minutes of setting up. Finally an alternative. I could not even find the cost of the HP one until I searched and saw that CDW sells single licenses for $285. That is crazy talk and free is, most of the time, better.

thank you again.