dual drivers for dual devices

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

paul.cuppens

dual drivers for dual devices

Post by paul.cuppens »

Hi all,
I have a question regarding a dual mouse problem.
At our company we use laptops and sometimes we lend our laptops out for the reason of a more powerfull system. My colleague and myself use different 3D mouse, he uses the space Explorer while i still use the very old type, the magellan space mouse. The 2 devices use different drivers. Now my question is if it is possible to install both the drivers, so both de devices will work? If not, what can we do?? Is it possible to install one driver for one account and an other driver for another account??

Kind regards

Paul Cuppens
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Paul,

Your devices are from completely different generations (and probably centuries <G>). I don't think there is one driver that will work for both. That doesn't mean you have to do a complete uninstall/install individually though.

The parts that are different, in your case, are probably limited to one directory (C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dxconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare).

You can make a copy of that directory for the SpaceMouse and a different copy for the SpaceExplorer and copy the relevant version over when each of you login. Each person would have a different login script copying the correct version.

There might be other clever ways your sysadm can find to do this without doing the actual copy. Some sort of symbolic link, maybe.

If you had the same generational devices you wouldn't need to do this.

Jim
3Dx Software Development